Ripped assets from potential Pokemon Gen 1 prototype offer a look at early creature designs

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Feb 18, 2019.

Front-page
    ZukanC.

Somewhere, out there, exists an early prototype of the first Pokemon game, and thanks to a group of Pokemon fans, they might have allowed for the public to get a glimpse at some of the interesting bits and pieces within, similar to the Spaceworld Gold and Silver beta from last year. According to Helix Chamber, the site that managed to get ahold of these assets, an anonymous source contacted them, claiming that they had a prototype Generation 1 Pokemon game. After trying to contact this mysterious person, they were given a zip file that contained assorted files that were ripped right from the ROM. Though they refused to dump the ROM in full, (which is potentially concerning, in regards to the validity of the files) there's some never before seen early designs that would later be cut or repurposed for the final release of Pokemon Red and Green.

First revealed was an early working logo for Pocket Monsters, with an included unfinished Rhyhorn in the center. Also supplied were back sprites for these prototype Pokemon, but no front sprites were given, nor did the owner give a reason for omitting them. Front sprites were made in an attempt to re-create what could be, but they are in no way official, or part of the "leak", only existing as artistic interpretation.

HC_mno_summary.
    HC_protogen1_intro.
    pokemon-1159091.
    What has been hypothesized and deciphered by Helix Chamber are numerous things, such as a different evolution for Wartortle, a potential beta design for Tyrannitar, a weird form of Psyduck, Red's original design, and much more. A full breakdown can be seen at the source below.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (37 replies)
  1. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    Now I want red to have a whip.

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Pretty interesting to see some of these made it to the beta Gold Silver version, before being scraped afterwards.
    Same for some proto Gen 2 pokémons there.

3. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    WHY DID THEY KILLED TRIFOX???

4. DKB

DKB ...!

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    My God the art for the pokemon for these games was awful. Always thought Mew looked like something was mentally wrong with him.

5. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

GBAtemp Patron
    AlanJohn is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 6, 2011
    Ukraine
    Canada,New Jersey
    Can't put my finger on it, but something tells me these are fake.
    Some of the designs seem too modern (especially the sprite work on the trainer).

Some of these pokemon seem just absurd, like the balloon one. Also, it's well known that some of the scrapped gen 1 pokemon were just used in gen 2.

6. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    mmm, where's missingno?? i can't see him...

wait: Red has whip o.O?! why Red needs a whip??

Last edited by leon315, Feb 18, 2019
  7. smileyhead

smileyhead 56709

Aug 31, 2015
    Hungary
    Hungary
    I can see why the whip was removed lol

8. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    funny whips were used for the cooltrainer and tamer sprites and rocket )but their evil so understandable) guess they didn't want red to be a cruel mofo

9. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Correction: That's Rhydon in the logo, and probably because it was the first Pokemon created at that.

Edit: Seems that Helix Chamber refers to it as Rhyhorn as well. Am I missing something? Was Rhydon called this at any point? Just seems to be a mistake/typo to me, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Sophie-bear, Feb 19, 2019
  10. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Explains why Pokemon are so willing to fight for you, it's either that or get whipped

Cyberfalcon and pitterpatter like this.
  11. catlover007

catlover007 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 23, 2015
    Germany
    Imho the Pokemon sprites look mostly authentic(with some of them probably being traced or scanned from a hand drawing).

But the trainer sprite looks fake to me. Compared to the final sprites(https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_gbc/pokemonredblue/sheet/8729/), it's far large, it wouldn't even fit well on the title screen. It's stylistically completely different, proportions and depths more pronounced via shading, then in the final sprites, besides the different outlining. Every pre release concept art shows Red as a boy and not some tough Pokemon torcherer, it contradicts the original idea of Pokemon: kids collecting Bugs.

12. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Still looking better than most of the more recent generations.

13. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Corp's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Meh no dumped rom makes me believe its fake

14. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    This... despite the fact it would still be fakeable (it's not exactly the least documented game)

andyhappypants likes this.
  15. DarkCoffe64

DarkCoffe64 Bo

Mar 30, 2011
    Italy
    Arcadia
    If these are legit, I would love to see some of these pokes in future games, but I say that would probably never happen.

16. radicalwookie

radicalwookie GBAtemp Fan

Sep 15, 2018
    United States
    That Crocky has seen some shit in his life

17. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    The problem is that nowadays stuff like this is hilarious easy to fake.

DarthDub likes this.
  18. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Agreed

Not nearly enough cross hatching on Red

19. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    Actually, I can totally believe there was a Red with a whip in the early stages.

Is just... why sprites go big? were they aiming for the game to be for the Super Gameboy or something?

20. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear The Coolest Bear Around

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I'd argue it's one of the more legitimate ones, and internal documents that have already come to light confirm its existence, even if the sprite restoration isn't perfect.
    Read the breakdown of what Barunda is here: