Ripped assets from potential Pokemon Gen 1 prototype offer a look at early creature designs

ZukanC.jpg

Somewhere, out there, exists an early prototype of the first Pokemon game, and thanks to a group of Pokemon fans, they might have allowed for the public to get a glimpse at some of the interesting bits and pieces within, similar to the Spaceworld Gold and Silver beta from last year. According to Helix Chamber, the site that managed to get ahold of these assets, an anonymous source contacted them, claiming that they had a prototype Generation 1 Pokemon game. After trying to contact this mysterious person, they were given a zip file that contained assorted files that were ripped right from the ROM. Though they refused to dump the ROM in full, (which is potentially concerning, in regards to the validity of the files) there's some never before seen early designs that would later be cut or repurposed for the final release of Pokemon Red and Green.

First revealed was an early working logo for Pocket Monsters, with an included unfinished Rhyhorn in the center. Also supplied were back sprites for these prototype Pokemon, but no front sprites were given, nor did the owner give a reason for omitting them. Front sprites were made in an attempt to re-create what could be, but they are in no way official, or part of the "leak", only existing as artistic interpretation.

HC_mno_summary.png

HC_protogen1_intro.png

pokemon-1159091.jpeg
What has been hypothesized and deciphered by Helix Chamber are numerous things, such as a different evolution for Wartortle, a potential beta design for Tyrannitar, a weird form of Psyduck, Red's original design, and much more. A full breakdown can be seen at the source below.

:arrow: Source

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
I'd argue it's one of the more legitimate ones, and internal documents that have already come to light confirm its existence, even if the sprite restoration isn't perfect.
Read the breakdown of what Barunda is here: https://twitter.com/helixchamber/status/1009847358723645440
Hmm. After looking at some more evidence, I've decided to retract my statement. The balloon Pokemon is certainly legitimate in the sense that it was a scrapped gen 1 Pokemon. I still question the validity of the ROMs existence, though. That large trainer Sprite looks like it's from a 2019 indie game with pixel graphics. The type of shading used there is just too "advanced" for the time.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm. After looking at some more evidence, I've decided to retract my statement. The balloon Pokemon is certainly legitimate in the sense that it was a scrapped gen 1 Pokemon. I still question the validity of the ROMs existence, though. That large trainer Sprite looks like it's from a 2019 indie game with pixel graphics. The type of shading used there is just too "advanced" for the time.
Not only that, the art style simply isn't fitting.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not convinced these are official. They may have looked deep into what is known about the early prototype of Pokemon such as the Balloon Pokemon to help make this look all the more legit, but it could all just be fan made assets that the creator wants us to believe was from the actual game. Certainly cool, but I'm far from convinced that these were real.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretty sure this is fake. Especially with the omitted stuff, and some things just being sketches. It'd be one thing if they claimed they just had artwork from the prototype, but these are supposed to be dumped assets.
Reminder that all of these are fan-made because of a prick who refuses to leak the prototype.
A guy who might not even have a prototype.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not convinced these are official. They may have looked deep into what is known about the early prototype of Pokemon such as the Balloon Pokemon to help make this look all the more legit, but it could all just be fan made assets that the creator wants us to believe was from the actual game. Certainly cool, but I'm far from convinced that these were real.
I agree

They used legitimate source material to fabricate these sprites

All you need to know to know these are fake is the supposed existence of a prototype and the insistence not to release it

It's like those people who say ghosts are real but refuse to let actual scientists study their "proof"

Edit: the reason only the backs were supposedly released is because they are effectively 1/2 the resolution of the front, and thus easier to fake (half the work)

Last edited by x65943,

Gamer90Kirby

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Imho the Pokemon sprites look mostly authentic(with some of them probably being traced or scanned from a hand drawing).

But the trainer sprite looks fake to me. Compared to the final sprites(https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_gbc/pokemonredblue/sheet/8729/), it's far large, it wouldn't even fit well on the title screen. It's stylistically completely different, proportions and depths more pronounced via shading, then in the final sprites, besides the different outlining. Every pre release concept art shows Red as a boy and not some tough Pokemon torcherer, it contradicts the original idea of Pokemon: kids collecting Bugs.

Now I’m not saying the sprite isn’t fake but it does fit the theme. All early artwork gave the impression that Pokemon were monsters and were kept in cages. So a whip wouldn’t be out of the ordinary to tame a monster.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Now I’m not saying the sprite isn’t fake but it does fit the theme. All early artwork gave the impression that Pokemon were monsters and were kept in cages. So a whip wouldn’t be out of the ordinary to tame a monster.

Not to mention that some officially released art, including some trainers in the final games, retained whips. It was also noted that this was the age adjusted version of the player character, much like how the rival character aged between the start and end of the game. I'm finding a lot of the details about this hard to dispute. Shame the owner won't share the ROM.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,
Reactions: Gamer90Kirby

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*Sitting at the office*
*Looks at latest news*
*Sees this thread*
*Clicked*
*Comments*

I am deeply disturbed by that whip.

It means that you're too young to remember when every cool trainer, tamer, team rocket grunt and even gym leader Sabrine used one to train their Pokemon.

Reactions: Kioku

Kallus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This better end in a rom release and/or leak. You can't tease us like this

Also for the people saying the Red sprite looks fake, take a look at some concept art:
98f.jpg

Dude in the art looks pretty similar to the one in the sprite.

Last edited by Kallus,
Reactions: AkikoKumagara

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There seems to be some confusion since they added some of these into a green rom to show off stuff, and slightly misled folks? The comment section is full of annoyed people. But they tried to clear things up, so it's safe to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's interesting, and it seems mostly legit, but I'd rather see the entire rom. Being so many steps away from the original makes it difficult to trust.

Reactions: Tiger21820

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.