Ripped assets from potential Pokemon Gen 1 prototype offer a look at early creature designs

ZukanC.jpg

Somewhere, out there, exists an early prototype of the first Pokemon game, and thanks to a group of Pokemon fans, they might have allowed for the public to get a glimpse at some of the interesting bits and pieces within, similar to the Spaceworld Gold and Silver beta from last year. According to Helix Chamber, the site that managed to get ahold of these assets, an anonymous source contacted them, claiming that they had a prototype Generation 1 Pokemon game. After trying to contact this mysterious person, they were given a zip file that contained assorted files that were ripped right from the ROM. Though they refused to dump the ROM in full, (which is potentially concerning, in regards to the validity of the files) there's some never before seen early designs that would later be cut or repurposed for the final release of Pokemon Red and Green.

First revealed was an early working logo for Pocket Monsters, with an included unfinished Rhyhorn in the center. Also supplied were back sprites for these prototype Pokemon, but no front sprites were given, nor did the owner give a reason for omitting them. Front sprites were made in an attempt to re-create what could be, but they are in no way official, or part of the "leak", only existing as artistic interpretation.

HC_mno_summary.png

HC_protogen1_intro.png

pokemon-1159091.jpeg
What has been hypothesized and deciphered by Helix Chamber are numerous things, such as a different evolution for Wartortle, a potential beta design for Tyrannitar, a weird form of Psyduck, Red's original design, and much more. A full breakdown can be seen at the source below.

:arrow: Source

DKB

NO
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My God the art for the pokemon for these games was awful. Always thought Mew looked like something was mentally wrong with him.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
Can't put my finger on it, but something tells me these are fake.
Some of the designs seem too modern (especially the sprite work on the trainer).

Some of these pokemon seem just absurd, like the balloon one. Also, it's well known that some of the scrapped gen 1 pokemon were just used in gen 2.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Correction: That's Rhydon in the logo, and probably because it was the first Pokemon created at that.

Edit: Seems that Helix Chamber refers to it as Rhyhorn as well. Am I missing something? Was Rhydon called this at any point? Just seems to be a mistake/typo to me, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

catlover007

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Imho the Pokemon sprites look mostly authentic(with some of them probably being traced or scanned from a hand drawing).

But the trainer sprite looks fake to me. Compared to the final sprites(https://www.spriters-resource.com/game_boy_gbc/pokemonredblue/sheet/8729/), it's far large, it wouldn't even fit well on the title screen. It's stylistically completely different, proportions and depths more pronounced via shading, then in the final sprites, besides the different outlining. Every pre release concept art shows Red as a boy and not some tough Pokemon torcherer, it contradicts the original idea of Pokemon: kids collecting Bugs.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the designs seem too modern (especially the sprite work on the trainer).

Some of these pokemon seem just absurd, like the balloon one. Also, it's well known that some of the scrapped gen 1 pokemon were just used in gen 2.
Agreed

Not nearly enough cross hatching on Red

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Agreed

Not nearly enough cross hatching on Red

Actually, I can totally believe there was a Red with a whip in the early stages.

Is just... why sprites go big? were they aiming for the game to be for the Super Gameboy or something?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States

I'd argue it's one of the more legitimate ones, and internal documents that have already come to light confirm its existence, even if the sprite restoration isn't perfect.
Read the breakdown of what Barunda is here:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs