Status
Not open for further replies.

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Tennis no Oji-Sama 2003 (The Prince of Tennis 2003 -Passion Red / Cool Blue-)

image002.jpg
image004.jpg

Cool Blue Title Screen / Passion Red Title Screen
As the title says, this is a tennis game based on the long running (Japanese anime) series of the same name. This is for me along with it’s 2004 counterparts (Glorious Gold/Stylish Silver) are the best tennis game out there for the GBA at the moment, one which should at least keep you entertained until Mario Tennis if you are waiting for that. You start of with just 4 players including the lead character Ryoma Echizen but you unlock another 16 players from a selection of different schools by competing in tournaments with all players. A gallery with info on each player is also an added bonus to be unlocked showing all their stats, pictures and voices. As there are two versions of this game, each one contains you have a different set of players to compete with and unlock, excluding the main group of players who are found in both versions.

image006.jpg
image007.gif

Character Selection Screen / Gallery Mode
Gameplay

The gameplay is fast paced and enjoyable with very little slowdown, vital for executing your shots accurately. The learning curve is well balanced with simple controls (A for normal shots and B for lob shots) and easy normal and hard modes being available from the start.

image008.gif
image009.gif

In-Game Screenshots
You can also combine your shots with the L or R buttons for more tactical shots. What makes this game really good are the variety of unique special moves each player has available. This is enabled when the C-gauge on your side of the court is full. Making smash aces and being involved in rallies increase the gauge level, ready for a special move to be executed whilst holding L and R and pressing the A or B buttons when your player is flashing. The game pauses and you’re taken to a great cinematic view of the player about you unleash is attack.

image011.jpg
image012.gif

Nice...
You’re not the only one who can do this though; the computer player can also counter your special move with one of their own moves. You can stop this from happening by taunting at them (Select button) to decrease your opponent’s C-gauge which in return means that you’ll have to freeze in order to activate this leaving your area clear for the ball to pass by you. All in all this works out to be a thrilling game to play using power as often as tactical moves. There are a few downsides to this game however,
First is the lack of courts available to play on and secondly the R.K.O. This feature does at times cut the fun short by causing you to forfeit the match. This happens by making the player loose his racket 3 or 4 times (using hard/special shots). This becomes frustrating when in the 5th set and about to win. This is a Japanese game but there’s very little text and it’s easy to work out which options is which.

8/10

Graphics

image014.jpg
image015.gif

Yes that is a girl by the way / WHAT! I demand I recount!
As you'd probably expect the GBA isn't well know for it's graphics but they are done well on this game. There isn't anything too special about them apart from the cinematic animations but overall it's stable.

8/10

Round-up

In my opinion I don't think there's a better GBA tennis game than this. With a multiplayer option available you're in for a lot of fun. If you're a tennis fan add an extra mark.

Pro's
+ A huge selection of players available
+ Each player has their own unique abilities
+ Very Challenging

Con's
- Not a lot of tournaments on offer
- There are two versions so you won't get everything in one game without spending a lot of money
- Including the R.K.O
- Only 4 courts on offer

8/10

Written by: dice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I mean, I've never seen a message on a thread with more than 30 reactions at max
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just be a mod, insta likes for xp
    +2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    and based on the table reactions only give 1 xp
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And insta fear from your enemies
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, i always posted on the eof meme threads
    xp is arbitrary anyway
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just like the like system people think it matters
    likes got introduced like years after I joined
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still feel as if they take away conversation
    post anything dumb, people will like it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eggs
    perhaps the rag tag team of idiots isn't awake yet...
  • OfficialGamer @ OfficialGamer:
    When I remake my Wii system menu theme I'm gonna publish it to GBAtemp for people to have it if they want to idk I'm bored
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or busy humping each other
    digital circle jerk
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Zoom dcj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please stop wanking during this meeting
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @DinohScene, "rag tag team of idiots" you mean me? :tpi:
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Oh yeah @K3Nv2 I got that power bank in the other day, thing is pretty sweet. Seems legit
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Oh yeah @K3Nv2 I got that power bank in the other day, thing is pretty sweet. Seems legit