Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Admittedly I’m not the biggest fan of RetroArch in general due to it being slow and having issues, and while the WiiU port has always been one of the better ports imo it was still way too slow for my taste...

Until today, I just installed the latest update and I was pleasantly surprised, it got a massive boost in speed, idk what you guys did but I just wanna say thank you! 🙏

One question though, how do I set preferences for cores? Like, if I wanna play a GBA title I wanna set it to always choose mGBA by default.
I'm pretty sure you're going to need to make playlists for each console to do this. Some file types are used by multiple cores (bin could be genesis or playstation, for example) plus you don't have to unzip your roms so you could have every console be in zip format, that's why you need to use playlists for this.

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Admittedly I’m not the biggest fan of RetroArch in general due to it being slow and having issues, and while the WiiU port has always been one of the better ports imo it was still way too slow for my taste...

Until today, I just installed the latest update and I was pleasantly surprised, it got a massive boost in speed, idk what you guys did but I just wanna say thank you! 🙏

One question though, how do I set preferences for cores? Like, if I wanna play a GBA title I wanna set it to always choose mGBA by default.
Settings, manage, playlists - pick a system, set a core = Enjoy.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm pretty sure you're going to need to make playlists for each console to do this. Some file types are used by multiple cores (bin could be genesis or playstation, for example) plus you don't have to unzip your roms so you could have every console be in zip format, that's why you need to use playlists for this.
I had no idea Playstation is supported, what other cores are supported, Saturn, PSP, Dreamcast, N64?

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had no idea Playstation is supported, what other cores are supported, Saturn, PSP, Dreamcast, N64?
Sorry for the confusion, there is no playstation core for WiiU. All the consoles you mentioned are supported on other platforms like the PC version, which is what WiiU retroarch is a port of. But yeah setting up the playlists is pretty easy, especially if you don't care about the database and cover art a manual scan will set up all the roms for a given platform with their core associated with them by default for easy launching. The database scan works too but I always have issues with it not scanning all of my roms which is really annoying.

willianholtz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.menteinsanabfs.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Brazil
The playlists that Willanholtz shared were not updated to the json format. Delete all your playlists on your SD card and add these and it will work. I just did it on my WiiU with CrazyMac 2.0 and the newest version of RetroArch to confirm it works.

Wow, boy, I didn't see that I uploaded the wrong files, I'm glad you paid attention! Thanks!

Reactions: mitgenuss

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried to use RetroArch with BlooPair (Switch pro controller) but it didn’t work, I was hoping to do some multiplayer, some information would be appreciated.

lappenhonk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hallo together, I don't know i this was already asked on the other 660 pages but can I use the Wii U Pro Controller for Retroarch? Thank you

Sonicwatcher6969

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To get the pro Controller as controller 1 I had to either unsync the gamepad with the console and start Retroarch using the pro controller or go into Retroarch's settings (Either input or controls) and set port 2 controls as player 1. This meant both the gamepad and pro controller were player 1 at the same time but the home button on my pro controller wouldn't work so I set L and R buttons as hotkeys for the Retroarch menu and then all set.

mitgenuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Liechtenstein
probably it isnt that way in the latest nightly anymore.. because it just worked for me when i tried some minutes before.. or probably the game just recognized that player 2 will be player 1 and it doesnt work with every game... either way pro controller works

Sonicwatcher6969

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ideally for Retroarch I REALLY want to use one of Retro-Bit's Sega Saturn controllers (wired usb or the 4.2ghz wireless one). They cam switch between x-input and d-input so would they work with Retroarch on Wii U??

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean for USB if you use USB hid you can use basically any controller and depending on which one you get if it doesn't connect natively bloopair should work for you but that's just what I'm guessing it would be better to be safe than sorry.

NestorM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for the confusion, there is no playstation core for WiiU. All the consoles you mentioned are supported on other platforms like the PC version, which is what WiiU retroarch is a port of. But yeah setting up the playlists is pretty easy, especially if you don't care about the database and cover art a manual scan will set up all the roms for a given platform with their core associated with them by default for easy launching. The database scan works too but I always have issues with it not scanning all of my roms which is really annoying.

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela

That was an experimental PCSX_ReARMed port that ended up being incomplete. And the developer behind it also decided to stop working on it for a variety of reasons. You can checkout that discussion a couple of pages ago in this thread even.

So yeah, while that core is technically a thing, you might as well use an overclocked vWii emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, me neither