Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
what's this graphical issue called and how to avoid it in RA?
i hate the 'pixel perfect' aspect ratio but even that setting doesn't stop it from occuring.

here's a picture, you can see one eye gets wider then the other as im moving through the stage in sm3

20211024_112815.jpg

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
what's this graphical issue called and how to avoid it in RA?
i hate the 'pixel perfect' aspect ratio but even that setting doesn't stop it from occuring.

here's a picture, you can see one eye gets wider then the other as im moving through the stage in sm3

View attachment 282529
What you're seeing there is nearest-neighbor scaling to a non-integer value. You're seeing it because the Integer Scale setting and the Aspect Ratio setting don't play very nice together. There's a few options you have here to avoid the issue:
  1. turn on Settings > Video > Bilinear Filtering; this will basically do a blurry scale from the original ~240p graphics to your RetroArch resolution. The issue will be gone, but you may like the blur even less.
  2. turn on Settings > Video > Scaling > Integer Scale and set Aspect Ratio to 1:1 PAR. This will guarantee every original game pixel is displayed over an exact multiple of pixels. e.g. a SNES game will display every single pixel as a 4x4 grid of Wii U pixels. There are two compromises you're making here: firstly, the image generally won't fill the whole screen for most platforms you emulate (e.g. 224 does not divide evenly into 480, 720 or 1080), so no matter what resolution your Wii U is configured to, you will have black borders around the edges of the screen at all times. Secondly, you are losing the original aspect ratio--pixels were not displayed as squares on any of these retro consoles, and in some cases they were extremely not-square, like CPS family arcade games, where if you display with 1:1 pixels, everything looks super wide, circles are ovals, etc.
  3. use the sharp-bilinear shader. This uses the Wii U's GPU to scale the image via nearest-neighbor to a perfect multiple (like option 2 above), then applies a bilinear filter (like option 1 above). This results in an image that's not quite as sharp as option 2, but way sharper than option 1, plus it allows you to use Aspect Ratio > Core Provided (or any other aspect ratio you like) without giving you any uneven pixels. Firstly, go to Main Menu > Online Updater > Update Slang Shaders, then load a game. Go to the Quick Menu > Shaders > Load > retro > sharp-bilinear.slangp, then scroll down and Apply Changes. It's possible this has been fixed by now, but when I first set this up on my end, I also had to enable Settings > Video > Bilinear Filtering to get that last filter step to work.

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
What you're seeing there is nearest-neighbor scaling to a non-integer value. You're seeing it because the Integer Scale setting and the Aspect Ratio setting don't play very nice together. There's a few options you have here to avoid the issue:
  1. turn on Settings > Video > Bilinear Filtering; this will basically do a blurry scale from the original ~240p graphics to your RetroArch resolution. The issue will be gone, but you may like the blur even less.
  2. turn on Settings > Video > Scaling > Integer Scale and set Aspect Ratio to 1:1 PAR. This will guarantee every original game pixel is displayed over an exact multiple of pixels. e.g. a SNES game will display every single pixel as a 4x4 grid of Wii U pixels. There are two compromises you're making here: firstly, the image generally won't fill the whole screen for most platforms you emulate (e.g. 224 does not divide evenly into 480, 720 or 1080), so no matter what resolution your Wii U is configured to, you will have black borders around the edges of the screen at all times. Secondly, you are losing the original aspect ratio--pixels were not displayed as squares on any of these retro consoles, and in some cases they were extremely not-square, like CPS family arcade games, where if you display with 1:1 pixels, everything looks super wide, circles are ovals, etc.
  3. use the sharp-bilinear shader. This uses the Wii U's GPU to scale the image via nearest-neighbor to a perfect multiple (like option 2 above), then applies a bilinear filter (like option 1 above). This results in an image that's not quite as sharp as option 2, but way sharper than option 1, plus it allows you to use Aspect Ratio > Core Provided (or any other aspect ratio you like) without giving you any uneven pixels. Firstly, go to Main Menu > Online Updater > Update Slang Shaders, then load a game. Go to the Quick Menu > Shaders > Load > retro > sharp-bilinear.slangp, then scroll down and Apply Changes. It's possible this has been fixed by now, but when I first set this up on my end, I also had to enable Settings > Video > Bilinear Filtering to get that last filter step to work.
This is an excellent an super informative post. Thank you for that.

XDeltaOne

Have a good time ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Unfortunately, it's stupid that the downloaded shaders don't work.

meeeow

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I downloaded the .zip via the online updater (and had to unpack it manually). Trying to load "sharp-bilinear.slangp" gives me an error: "Failed to apply shader preset bilinear.slang". It's the same problem with all other shaders. Do you know that might be the issue here?

edit:
I downloaded the shaders from this video and the sharp-linear Filter works:
I guess the original source is the following: https://github.com/Ta180m/RetroArch-Wii-U-Slang-Shaders (cick on code -> download as zip)

Last edited by meeeow,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Confirmed!! My Wiimote, Switch Controller (via bloopair) and WiiU Gamepad can now all controller the UI at the same time!! @gblues :D :D :D :D

EDIT: your right about only the main controller can open the Menu :)

EDIT2: all controllers can open the Menu if you set a Menu Toggle Controller Combo in Hotkeys ;)

Last edited by ploggy,

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
sharp-bilinear is the one that I needed. ty :D

Nomado

Trophies
XP
Country
Madagascar
Confirmed!! My Wiimote, Switch Controller (via bloopair) and WiiU Gamepad can now all controller the UI at the same time!! @gblues :D :D :D :D

EDIT: your right about only the main controller can open the Menu :)

EDIT2: all controllers can open the Menu if you set a Menu Toggle Controller Combo in Hotkeys ;)
Woah, so does that mean controllers are like they were back in 1.8.8? if so, this is a great news.

Reactions: ploggy

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Woah, so does that mean controllers are like they were back in 1.8.8? if so, this is a great news.
Exactly. It's still in PR for now but once its merged it'll hit the buildbot, This has been one of the longest issues. A single fix increases WiiU RA usability by 50% ahah.
!WiiU forever!

Reactions: Nomado

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SNES Super Scope Select Button not mapped via Touchscreen Mode?

Fire Button Works fine Hell it Awesome!!!

Any way to remap to Gamepad? The Button on Handle.

Has it already been mapped?

Port 1 SNES Joypad
Port 2 Super Scope

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SNES Super Scope Select Button not mapped via Touchscreen Mode?

Fire Button Works fine Hell it Awesome!!!

Any way to remap to Gamepad? The Button on Handle.

Has it already been mapped?

Port 1 SNES Joypad
Port 2 Super Scope
I have used the Touchscreen to play super scope games but I dont remember about the select button? It should be able to be mapped to the gamepad

EDIT: nope, doesnt look like its possible to map the other buttons on the Super Scope :P

Last edited by ploggy,
Reactions: CORE

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone technical know if the new linux driver allows for the direct management of files on usb drives? In this case for easily and quickly moving over a large rom collections that may contain complete dumps of Sega CD or PCE CD games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he...