Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

imaginarysonicsc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What i did is i put the normal shader-slangs (how was it called? I don't have my pc on right now so I can't check, but it's the shader folder you can get from the official retroarch resources) in my sd card root, then put the compiled wii u shaders in the same folder. Then I opened RA on wii u and manually set the folder as the default shader directory in the settings, then i was able to use them. Regarding that bandlimit shader i'm not familiar with shaders in general, so i haven't tested that one

You wouldn't happen to know of any resources that would help me out with this do you? I hate to ask such basic questions, but I can't for the life of me find the info I need, nor would I know where to start. I just want crt shaders on my WiiU Retroarch :/

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Let's be honest, shaders aren't really a thing yet. The implementation RetroArch has right now is more about testing the loader than being something anyone can use.
It is technically possible to compile GLSL shaders with no SDK stuff - manually, one at a time, with potential errors that have to be fixed by hand. I guess I could look at doing some of the super popular ones; but it's just one of those things where it really needs to be workable on-console. It's in the pipeline, but that pipeline is *very* full at the moment - you'll see! ;D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's be honest, shaders aren't really a thing yet. The implementation RetroArch has right now is more about testing the loader than being something anyone can use.
It is technically possible to compile GLSL shaders with no SDK stuff - manually, one at a time, with potential errors that have to be fixed by hand. I guess I could look at doing some of the super popular ones; but it's just one of those things where it really needs to be workable on-console. It's in the pipeline, but that pipeline is *very* full at the moment - you'll see! ;D

Personally, I'd rather see dynarec implemented before some silly shaders, but that's just me.

Mouser86

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Can someone recommend a video based walkthrough? I’ve watched some on the net and it seems everyone uses their pc version of Retroarch. I want to get the playlist feature working on my Wii U.

I can successfully load content and play single games but I cannot get playlists to work. I’ve tried the macbledo web based playlist builder and while it was successful in generating a playlist that I was able to get to show up on the xmb, it still says cannot load file every time I select a game. I have the no intro rom set and have also tried to use playlist buddy. That also generated a playlist that shows up on the xmb, but when I go to select a game from this playlist it shows random cores to chooses from and none of them are the nes cores.

I’ve used the online updater to try and get the latest databases cores etc. I’ve scanned the directories and it scans but never makes its own playlist at all. I’ve only been able to make the playlists on pc and move them to the sd card. And none of them ever work.

In other words I can’t get anything to work except for selecting single games without the playlist feature. I have the 1.7.5 build which I think is th newest stable version.

I’m at wits end and ready to give up. Someone please help me. :/

jul16ares

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I’m at wits end and ready to give up

I'm just about 1 month practicing this noble art of retroarch on WiiU...Seems nearly the same on all platforms, but it's worth it, don't give up, everything is on the net, but not in the right order and time....Good luck.

softimage69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone. I have been banging my head over the last 48 hours trying to get Retroarch to run for the wife. She really wants to play the Sonic games (Sega Genesis) on the Wii-u system... but I cannot seem to get Retroarch launcher to show up on the Wii menu at all.

Currently running 5.5.1 firmware, I have Haxchi working via Super Mario Bros VC. One thing to note, there are no Homebrew channels shown in the Wii-U menu (I was almost certain there was a HBC channel a few weeks ago when I installed Haxchi). The only way I can load HBC is via the browser exploit (which loads HBC 1.3 from what I can tell).

Anyone have any tips to make some progress on this? I was using the guide on page 1 for setting it up, but I cannot for the life of me, get a Retroarch channel to show up in the menu, all I have is the Haxchi channel icon in my menu. Thanks for the help!

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If You have HaxChi Installed then you should not need the Browser Exploit you do however need the Homebrew Loader on your SD Card.

SD:\wiiu\apps\retroarch
SD:\wiiu\apps\mochacfw
SD:\wiiu\apps\homebrew launcher

I think it something like that , HaxChi will then load the Homebrew Launcher from your SD I think it can be customised to Boot mocha or whatever but I use Homebrew Launcher.

Reactions: cvskid

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Did you install the retroarch channel already? If not, you can always run it from homebrew launcher given your files are in the right directory.

Download Retroarch Channel here:
https://mega.nz/#!VdB1XTIC!RwtpsGWMMbrkTIO_8tvYRIScwtbF1WOtBlgt33KBuUQ

and you are going to need to run WUP Installer GX from homebrew launcher in order to install the retroarch channel to your wiiU nand memory.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: cvskid

softimage69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If You have HaxChi Installed then you should not need the Browser Exploit you do however need the Homebrew Loader on your SD Card.

SD:\wiiu\apps\retroarch
SD:\wiiu\apps\mochacfw
SD:\wiiu\apps\homebrew launcher

I think it something like that , HaxChi will then load the Homebrew Launcher from your SD I think it can be customized to Boot mocha or whatever but I use Homebrew Launcher.

-----

Thanks for the quick reply! I checked the SDCard, I have following:

SD:\wiiu\apps\retroarch - inside here has 3 files (retroarch.rpx being one of them)
SD:\wiiu\apps\mocha - I do not have mochacfw as you mentioned above, only "mocha")
SD:\wiiu\apps\homebrew_launcher - inside here is the homebrew_launcher.elf

So it looks like the files/folders are on my card are there, perhaps I am missing something else?

CORE

3:16
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. Load your HaxChi Patched super mario bros vc DS Game!
2. Homebrew Launcher should load?

mocha more than likely same thing cfw = custom firmware it what mocha is. you load this after you load homebrew launcher or if you have a ini stating otherwise , which may actually be your problem?

softimage69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you install the retroarch channel already? If not, you can always run it from homebrew launcher given your files are in the right directory.

Download Retroarch Channel here:
LINK

and you are going to need to run WUP Installer GX from homebrew launcher in order to install the retroarch channel to your wiiU nand memory.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply!
I downloaded this and extracted the folder, so here is where it resides:
SD:\install\0005000010102172

As I do not have a homebrew launcher channel in my main wii-u menu, the only way to get homebrew launcher running the browser exploit and running it after that loads. In here, I can launch the WUP Installer GX2.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

mocha more than likely same thing cfw = custom firmware it what mocha is. you load this after you load homebrew launcher or if you have a ini stating otherwise , which may actually be your problem?

When I launch Haxchi, it loads a white screen for a second, then returns back to the wiiu menu, but the menu screen looks the same as before I launched Haxchi (no homebrew channel showing). Hmmm, maybe there is something happened to my system or sdcard recently....

softimage69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

OK, looks like it is working after all. When I boot the Wii-U, I have to click on the Haxchi icon, let it load, then Hold A and load Haxchi again to run the Homebrew. From here I was able to load Retroarch. Now I just have to figure out my way around the interface, as I do not have the XMB that I see others using.

Reactions: Mouser86

Mouser86

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, looks like it is working after all. When I boot the Wii-U, I have to click on the Haxchi icon, let it load, then Hold A and load Haxchi again to run the Homebrew. From here I was able to load Retroarch. Now I just have to figure out my way around the interface, as I do not have the XMB that I see others using.

Following to see your progress. Will you share your steps once you get it working? I’ve had success in launching the individual cores and single content, but can’t get the playlist feature working for the life of me...

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for the reply!
I downloaded this and extracted the folder, so here is where it resides:
SD:\install\0005000010102172

As I do not have a homebrew launcher channel in my main wii-u menu, the only way to get homebrew launcher running the browser exploit and running it after that loads. In here, I can launch the WUP Installer GX2.

When I launch Haxchi, it loads a white screen for a second, then returns back to the wiiu menu, but the menu screen looks the same as before I launched Haxchi (no homebrew channel showing). Hmmm, maybe there is something happened to my system or sdcard recently....
Feel free to PM me if you're stuck at some point and don't want to post everything in this thread. :)

softimage69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Following to see your progress. Will you share your steps once you get it working? I’ve had success in launching the individual cores and single content, but can’t get the playlist feature working for the life of me...

Hey Mouser, I haven't tried the playlist feature just yet, I was really glad to see the wife happy finally playing Sonic using the Genesis emu. I didn't even have a chance to test out the gamepad/wiimotes in Retroarch as the wife snatched the Gamepad/tablet out of my hands when she saw it up and running in the title sceen. Haha.

I retraced all the steps in setting up the SDCard list under the wiiu hacks guide, everything was where it needed to be, but it turns out that I needed to launch Haxchi first upon turning on the Wiiu, then launch it a second time while holding A on the gamepad. This allowed me to install the Homebrew channel to the wiiu menu with WUP Installer GX2, and then Retroarch. I didn't do the auto/cold-boot method.

I did manage to get the XMB working this time around by manually downloading the assets to my PC first, then extracting to the sdcard, as Updating Assets inside Retroarch kept failing on me. I will check back again soon when I test out the playlist feature.

Feel free to PM me if you're stuck at some point and don't want to post everything in this thread. :)

Thanks for info Lordelan! I managed to get it working last night, now I just need to do a deeper dive into the features of Retroarch on the Wiiu when the lady isn't playing it. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: People are gonna find loopholes around clan tags and make inappropriate names.