Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Davor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As Randomizer said it bypasses the HBL so you can boot directly into Retroarch and exit directly to the WiiU Menu and as a byproduct its more reliable at loading Cores :P
Also hack your WiiU!

Hello!

This forwarder from few posts back (on Mega) is not the same thing as Retroarch channel? Does it use retroarch.rpx from /wiiu/apps/retroarch? Do you install it using WUPInstaller, like any other channel?

Best regards,
Davor

Last edited by Davor,
Reactions: ploggy

cucholix

00000780 00000438
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
@LibretroRetroArc just letting you know that the memory errors (without a stack trace) are problems in the RPX loading code which is more a HBL problem than a RetroArch problem. I wouldn't worry yourself too much about those; a few people have new loading methods in the works. Not a quick fix, sadly.
Do forwarders still use HBL in some way? Because I've been using channel forwarder since 1.6.4 and still get 160 time to time.

MaitreLLD

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Anybody succeeded in setting "Analog to digital" for something else than Wii U Gamepad ? It works flawlessly for the Wii U Gamepad but does not for my Wii U Pro Controller or my Classic controller.

Warwick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
Hey guys,
Is it possible to have multiple playlists for the same core?
I want to have separate playlists for my Sega mega Drive, Master System etc..
But since they all use genesis_plus_gx_libretro, the playlist icon doesn't appear, and the game doesn't work?

TLPD-AVW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Hey guys,
Is it possible to have multiple playlists for the same core?
I want to have separate playlists for my Sega mega Drive, Master System etc..
But since they all use genesis_plus_gx_libretro, the playlist icon doesn't appear, and the game doesn't work?

It's absolutely possible. You can have separate playlists "Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis.lpl" and "Sega - Master System - Mark III.lpl" and have them both point toward genesis_plus_gx_libretro.rpx. Retroarch will create icons in the XMB for both of them automatically.

Warwick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
It's absolutely possible. You can have separate playlists "Sega - Mega Drive - Genesis.lpl" and "Sega - Master System - Mark III.lpl" and have them both point toward genesis_plus_gx_libretro.rpx. Retroarch will create icons in the XMB for both of them automatically.

Thank you very much, kind sir.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you very much, kind sir.
I can take you even further. This might be interesting for everyone:
The name of the playlist determines which icons the system and the roms have. Of course the name of the playlist has to be also in the playlist for every entry on line 6 as usual.
For the icon you need to create one (or copy and rename an existing one) in your assets folder for the icon theme that you're using actively.

Sounds confusing? No problem, let's have a look on an example.
There are not many RetroArch games that can be played with up to 4 players so while keeping all of those games in their playlists where they belong, I also want to summarize them into an extra playlist for quick access when 3 of my friends are with me to play along.
  1. I go to the playlist folder (sd:/retroarch/cores/playlists) and create an empty txt file.
  2. I rename that file to Four Players.lpl but be sure that it's not Four Players.lpl.txt!
  3. I add entries to it. Remember that a playlist entry always consists of 6 lines (no less!). To avoid mistakes I just copy entries from the other playlists. Of course I only pick those games with 4 player support. My playlist could look like this:
Code:
sd:/roms/Arcade/nwarr.zip
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (950316 Euro)
sd:/retroarch/cores/fbalpha2012_libretro.rpx
FB Alpha 2012
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
sd:/roms/Arcade/sfiii3.zip
sd:/roms/Nintendo Entertainment System/Balloon Fight [E].zip#Balloon Fight [E].nes
Balloon Fight (Europe)
sd:/retroarch/cores/nestopia_libretro.rpx
Nestopia
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
sd:/roms/Sony Playstation/Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2 Hoshifuri no Yuusha to Bokujou no Nakamatachi [J].cue
Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2: Hoshifuri no Yuusha to Bokujou no Nakamatachi (Japan)
sd:/retroarch/cores/mednafen_psx_libretro.dll
Mednafen PSX
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
sd:/roms/Arcade/sfiii.zip
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (990608 Euro)
FB Alpha 2012
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
As you can see I have put together a playlist of multiple games from multiple systems:
  • Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (FB Alpha 2012)
  • Balloon Fight (NES)
  • Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2 (PSX)
  • Street Fighter III (FB Alpha 2012)
I'm sure you already noticed that these games of course have no 4 player support. :D I was just sitting on my PC here and building a random list of games just to show you how a playlist could look like. Of course I would have to pick the right games once I get serious with my plan of a 4 player playlist.
Note that the line where I wrote DETECT could also be left empty and that the thing with the # for Balloon Fight is not really necessary (the path to the zip alone is enough).

Now that I have a playlist of a special selection of games for quick access I want a nice icon as well.
For this you need to understand how RetroArch's new GUI (xmb) works and which icon theme you are using right now.
By default it should be "monochrome" but you can look it up (or even change it) by heading to:
Settings -> User Interface -> Appearance -> Menu Icon Theme

Once you're aware of your current icon theme, go to sd:/retroarch/media/xmb and open the folder for your current theme and then the png folder.
For Monochrome it's: sd:/retroarch/media/xmb/monochrome/png
There are png images named in the same pattern as your playlist (lpl) files.
That means I can either create a new one (while taking care that it has the same resolution as the others) or copy an existing one and rename it to Four Players.png. Of course I could open it up with Photoshop to write something like "4 P" on it to make it a bit nicer.
That's the icon you see for your playlist when you scroll to the right in your RetroArch main menu.
Inside a playlist there's another important icon which is displayed left to the game's name (for each game).
For Game Boy games it's a cartridge for example.
This icon has to be named as the playlist as well but with an additional "-content" to it. In my case it would be:
Four Players-content.png.
That's all. Let me know if it works. :)

Last edited by lordelan,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@QuarkTheAwesome : Sorry if I missed that here but does this commit mean I can use the GamePad's screen for mouse inputs in SNES games like Mario Paint or even DosBox games?
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/6b5aef09a14754004083735abf1bae452c9d7ee5

Another question @All that I may also missed here:
Why do most RetroArch releases (Windows for example) have MAME2010 core but the Wii U have a MAME2009 core instead?
And what would be the right rom set for that? I can't find anything about that via Google.
Is it 0.139 as well?

And are merged or non merged rom sets to be prefered?

rioray

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@QuarkTheAwesome : Sorry if I missed that here but does this commit mean I can use the GamePad's screen for mouse inputs in SNES games like Mario Paint or even DosBox games?
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/6b5aef09a14754004083735abf1bae452c9d7ee5

Another question @All that I may also missed here:
Why do most RetroArch releases (Windows for example) have MAME2010 core but the Wii U have a MAME2009 core instead?
And what would be the right rom set for that? I can't find anything about that via Google.
Is it 0.139 as well?

And are merged or non merged rom sets to be prefered?

Yes, it's because i was not able to port mame2010 /2014 to wiiU , as i explain hundred pages ago :) the problem is mame2010 or later rely on c++ and exception , and for what i understand (correct me if i am wrong) those c++ exceptions are not properly exported/handle by
elf2rpl , then the excption cause an abort at first call in the program (and mame use them the handle missing dependency and reschedule them )...
So i ported mame 0.135U4 , the last C version of mame and called it mame2009.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, it's because i was not able to port mame2010 /2014 to wiiU , as i explain hundred pages ago :) the problem is mame2010 or later rely on c++ and exception , and for what i understand (correct me if i am wrong) those c++ exceptions are not properly exported/handle by
elf2rpl , then the excption cause an abort at first call in the program (and mame use them the handle missing dependency and reschedule them )...
So i ported mame 0.135U4 , the last C version of mame and called it mame2009.
Thanks for clearing that up again for me mate.
So the rom set I would have to look for is umm... "0.135U4"?

Antonio Soler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, i downloaded the last nightly and i'm trying to play some MSX games that uses the keys 1 or 2 to select keyboard or joystick and start the game, like Antartic Adventure. Is there any way to map especific keyboard keys to the gamepad buttons in the core options? Tried retrokeyboard remap but the keybind options are only for the gamepad buttons.

Maxbeta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anybody succeeded in setting "Analog to digital" for something else than Wii U Gamepad ? It works flawlessly for the Wii U Gamepad but does not for my Wii U Pro Controller or my Classic controller.
Go into INPUT and make sure that the binds for other players are not set to the same controller and only then it will work. Probably have to do this per core as well.

rioray

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes that is , but most of 0.139 should work (or not)
BTW , the 2009 port need to be improved

Reactions: lordelan

bixxewoscht

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I need some help...

I had retroarch before and it worked but with that ugly menu etc. Now I wanted to do a fresh install with xmb and thumbnails, for snes roms. I downloaded the newest rpx, extracted the retroarch folder to sd root and installed the retroarch channel using wupinstaller gx2. Then i downloaded the assets from the op and put them into sd:/retroarch/media. When I start retroarch now, i still hve the ugly green menu and no xmb. I also tried to make a playlist with thumbnails with a few roms, but the roms from the playlist can't be played and the thumbnails are 1kb and corrupted if i download them in playlist buddy and don't get copied at all if i download the whole snes package and redirect the playlist buddy to that folder. I've also tried the online Updater in the app but nothing works. I have to say the op is not a very good instruction. Maybe someone can make ita bit clearer? Atm nothing works at all basically^^

Last edited by bixxewoscht,

Warwick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
South Africa
I can take you even further. This might be interesting for everyone:
The name of the playlist determines which icons the system and the roms have. Of course the name of the playlist has to be also in the playlist for every entry on line 6 as usual.
For the icon you need to create one (or copy and rename an existing one) in your assets folder for the icon theme that you're using actively.

Sounds confusing? No problem, let's have a look on an example.
There are not many RetroArch games that can be played with up to 4 players so while keeping all of those games in their playlists where they belong, I also want to summarize them into an extra playlist for quick access when 3 of my friends are with me to play along.
  1. I go to the playlist folder (sd:/retroarch/cores/playlists) and create an empty txt file.
  2. I rename that file to Four Players.lpl but be sure that it's not Four Players.lpl.txt!
  3. I add entries to it. Remember that a playlist entry always consists of 6 lines (no less!). To avoid mistakes I just copy entries from the other playlists. Of course I only pick those games with 4 player support. My playlist could look like this:
Code:
sd:/roms/Arcade/nwarr.zip
Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (950316 Euro)
FB Alpha 2012
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
sd:/roms/Arcade/sfiii3.zip
sd:/roms/Nintendo Entertainment System/Balloon Fight [E].zip#Balloon Fight [E].nes
Balloon Fight (Europe)
sd:/retroarch/cores/nestopia_libretro.rpx
Nestopia
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
sd:/roms/Sony Playstation/Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2 Hoshifuri no Yuusha to Bokujou no Nakamatachi [J].cue
Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2: Hoshifuri no Yuusha to Bokujou no Nakamatachi (Japan)
sd:/retroarch/cores/mednafen_psx_libretro.dll
Mednafen PSX
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
sd:/roms/Arcade/sfiii.zip
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (990608 Euro)
FB Alpha 2012
DETECT
Four Players.lpl
As you can see I have put together a playlist of multiple games from multiple systems:
  • Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (FB Alpha 2012)
  • Balloon Fight (NES)
  • Dragon Quest Monsters 1 & 2 (PSX)
  • Street Fighter III (FB Alpha 2012)
I'm sure you already noticed that these games of course have no 4 player support. :D I was just sitting on my PC here and building a random list of games just to show you how a playlist could look like. Of course I would have to pick the right games once I get serious with my plan of a 4 player playlist.
Note that the line where I wrote DETECT could also be left empty and that the thing with the # for Balloon Fight is not really necessary (the path to the zip alone is enough).

Now that I have a playlist of a special selection of games for quick access I want a nice icon as well.
For this you need to understand how RetroArch's new GUI (xmb) works and which icon theme you are using right now.
By default it should be "monochrome" but you can look it up (or even change it) by heading to:
Settings -> User Interface -> Appearance -> Menu Icon Theme

Once you're aware of your current icon theme, go to sd:/retroarch/media/xmb and open the folder for your current theme and then the png folder.
For Monochrome it's: sd:/retroarch/media/xmb/monochrome/png
There are png images named in the same pattern as your playlist (lpl) files.
That means I can either create a new one (while taking care that it has the same resolution as the others) or copy an existing one and rename it to Four Players.png. Of course I could open it up with Photoshop to write something like "4 P" on it to make it a bit nicer.
That's the icon you see for your playlist when you scroll to the right in your RetroArch main menu.
Inside a playlist there's another important icon which is displayed left to the game's name (for each game).
For Game Boy games it's a cartridge for example.
This icon has to be named as the playlist as well but with an additional "-content" to it. In my case it would be:
Four Players-content.png.
That's all. Let me know if it works. :)

Dude! This is incredible! I can't wait to do this. Thanks so much @lordelan !! Cheers! :grog:

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I need some help...

I had retroarch before and it worked but with that ugly menu etc. Now I wanted to do a fresh install with xmb and thumbnails, for snes roms. I downloaded the newest rpx, extracted the retroarch folder to sd root and installed the retroarch channel using wupinstaller gx2. Then i downloaded the assets from the op and put them into sd:/retroarch/media. When I start retroarch now, i still hve the ugly green menu and no xmb. I also tried to make a playlist with thumbnails with a few roms, but the roms from the playlist can't be played and the thumbnails are 1kb and corrupted if i download them in playlist buddy and don't get copied at all if i download the whole snes package and redirect the playlist buddy to that folder. I've also tried the online Updater in the app but nothing works. I have to say the op is not a very good instruction. Maybe someone can make ita bit clearer? Atm nothing works at all basically^^
Delete the config file! Or even better start from scratch by removing anything RetroArch related from your SD card and follow the first post of this thread again.

Dude! This is incredible! I can't wait to do this. Thanks so much @lordelan !! Cheers! :grog:
Let me know if it worked mate.

By the way for anyone who's interested in which games support 3 or more players here is a list I got from a few sources:
https://pastebin.com/ki3AEvjz

That's a great base to build a playlist just like I talked about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i did that in the morning but with vinegar +1