Homebrew Official Retroarch WiiU (wip.)

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
Mildly controversial suggestion, but I'm looking forward at what kind of changes RA WiiU is likely to get once the large bugs are fixed, and one of them is likely changing the "open quick menu" shortcut from HOME to something else. I'm thinking ZL+ZR+Start+Select like it is on Vita? Unsure though.
It'll need to get changed by the time Aroma compatibility is added, so there's still a little while to think about this, just thought I would mention it now so people can decide how they feel about it.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Mildly controversial suggestion, but I'm looking forward at what kind of changes RA WiiU is likely to get once the large bugs are fixed, and one of them is likely changing the "open quick menu" shortcut from HOME to something else. I'm thinking ZL+ZR+Start+Select like it is on Vita? Unsure though.
It'll need to get changed by the time Aroma compatibility is added, so there's still a little while to think about this, just thought I would mention it now so people can decide how they feel about it.
Settings > Input > Hotkeys > Menu Toggle Controller Combo has a few options that would probably make decent defaults, and obviously users can just pick whichever they prefer if they don't like the default. The options in that setting are:
  • None
  • Down + Y + L1 + R1
  • L3 + R3
  • L1 + R1 + Start + Select
  • Start + Select
  • L3 + R1
  • L1 + R1
  • Hold Start (2 seconds)
  • Hold Select (2 seconds)
  • Down + Select
  • L2+R2
Some considerations: the Wii U can be controlled by about four hundred different controller types, some of which are missing some of these inputs. e.g. Any Classic Controller (including NES & SNES Classic pads), the Pokken controller, etc. have no L3 or R3 buttons, which I think should probably rule out making those the default. The SNES Classic pad has no ZL/ZR buttons, and the NES Classic has no L/R buttons at all, but that might be getting a bit niche to be necessary to cater to directly. I think Hold Start and/or Hold Select are used by some arcade cores as an (in-game) debug button, so that should also be ruled out as default.

Personally, I think L1 + R1 + Start + Select is a sensible default which can be performed on all but the most basic controllers (NES Classic) but is unlikely to be triggered accidentally. Although, now that I think about it, don't some GBA games use that as their soft-reset combo? Worth looking into. EDIT: Stuff I'm seeing online says GBA games use A + B + Start + Select as their soft-reset combo, but some SNES and PlayStation games e.g. those by Square, do use L1 + R1 + Start + Select. Is this significant enough to rule out making it the default combo? *shrug* /EDIT

EDIT2: Testing with Secret of Mana (a Square game), the running core receives the L1 + R1 + Start + Select input before RetroArch intercepts it and opens the menu, meaning any attempt to open the RetroArch menu while playing a game with this soft reset combo does cause a soft reset. I believe this should rule out L1 + R1 + Start + Select as the default combo due to the issues it would inevitably cause. Of the options in that list, I think I would now vote for Down + Y + L1 + R1 as it's usable on most controllers and unlikely to cause problems, with the one issue being that it's a horrendously unmemorable button combo. /EDIT2

Incidentally, while you're fixing things, what's up with the order of that list? I'm guessing new combos have just been added to the end of the list over time, but they're kind of a mess. At bare minimum, L1 + R1, L2 + R2 and L3 + R3 should be together in the list, they look insane just scattered through the list at random.

Last edited by Vague Rant,
Reactions: depaul
Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
EDIT2: Testing with Secret of Mana (a Square game), the running core receives the L1 + R1 + Start + Select input before RetroArch intercepts it and opens the menu, meaning any attempt to open the RetroArch menu while playing a game with this soft reset combo does cause a soft reset. I believe this should rule out L1 + R1 + Start + Select as the default combo due to the issues it would inevitably cause. Of the options in that list, I think I would now vote for Down + Y + L1 + R1 as it's usable on most controllers and unlikely to cause problems, with the one issue being that it's a horrendously unmemorable button combo. /EDIT2

I agree, that button combo is terrible. I checked, and the Vita port has L1+R1+Start+Select as its menu combo, and nobody seems to complain about that too much. Given we, ehm, don't have PlayStation emulation right now, I think it's reasonable to have that as a default and let people change it if they need. I may look at getting the default changed even though HOME still works, just so people can start getting used to it.

Incidentally, while you're fixing things, what's up with the order of that list? I'm guessing new combos have just been added to the end of the list over time, but they're kind of a mess. At bare minimum, L1 + R1, L2 + R2 and L3 + R3 should be together in the list, they look insane just scattered through the list at random.

It's not the sort of thing I'd usually look at, but I guess I can throw a PR in and see if they take it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's not the sort of thing I'd usually look at, but I guess I can throw a PR in and see if they take it.

Edit: seems to be tied to enum values, changing it would break people's configs. Will leave alone for now.

Here's the other options:

Code:
#if defined(RS90)
#define DEFAULT_MENU_TOGGLE_GAMEPAD_COMBO INPUT_TOGGLE_START_SELECT
#elif defined(_XBOX1) || defined(__PS3__) || defined(_XBOX360) || defined(DINGUX)
#define DEFAULT_MENU_TOGGLE_GAMEPAD_COMBO INPUT_TOGGLE_L3_R3
#elif defined(PS2) || defined(PSP)
#define DEFAULT_MENU_TOGGLE_GAMEPAD_COMBO INPUT_TOGGLE_HOLD_START
#elif defined(VITA)
#define DEFAULT_MENU_TOGGLE_GAMEPAD_COMBO INPUT_TOGGLE_L1_R1_START_SELECT
#elif defined(SWITCH) || defined(ORBIS)
#define DEFAULT_MENU_TOGGLE_GAMEPAD_COMBO INPUT_TOGGLE_START_SELECT
#elif TARGET_OS_TV
#define DEFAULT_MENU_TOGGLE_GAMEPAD_COMBO INPUT_TOGGLE_DOWN_Y_L_R
#else
#define DEFAULT_MENU_TOGGLE_GAMEPAD_COMBO INPUT_TOGGLE_NONE
#endif

Interesting how start+select alone is used on Switch!

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome,

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Interesting how start+select alone is used on Switch!
That is interesting. The only major problem I can think of with Start + Select is that you need that combo to save in The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (DX) for Game Boy/Color. On the other hand, the upside of using just Start + Select is that you're no longer triggering the SNES (and possible future PSX) soft-reset. If nobody complains on Switch, I guess that one that is a fine default as well.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I'd go for Start + Select.. Same as Switch, reason being all Controllers for WiiU has those buttons. No stick clicks or triggers needed :)

Stupid question, but is there a link? I can't think my brain is fried from work :lol:
https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/wiiu/

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@AmandaRose ;)

20210719_150304.jpg

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
  • Start + Select
  • Hold Start (2 seconds)
  • Hold Select (2 seconds)

These are the three best options to use as a default menu hotkey, it's easily accessible, it wouldn't be a big problem in most games (especially those that don't use select and/or start at all) and these buttons are present in all wii and wii u controllers.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Tbh I think the Home button for accessing RA's menu as default is okay for me. Either that or L3+R3.
It isn't used by any other homebrew's as much, and it doesn't serve much purpose outside of exiting or entering menus.
Besides, the user can change the Hotkey input as desired.

Reactions: ploggy and GABO1423

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tbh I think the Home button for accessing RA's menu as default is okay for me. Either that or L3+R3.
It isn't used by any other homebrew's as much, and it doesn't serve much purpose outside of exiting or entering menus.
Besides, the user can change the Hotkey input as desired.
just let it be user configurable and not hard coded to any particular bind.
We may need that Home Button in the future, like if a proper Retroarch Channel were ever made for example.

Last edited by ploggy,

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What was the issue people were having with Pro Controllers? Was it something about not being able to use the WiiU Gamepad and the Pro Controller as Player 1 at the same time?
If so it IS possible, I don't know if its to do with Quarks recent changes or its been possible for awhile.
All you need to do is start your game (with both WiiU gamepad/Pro Controller connected) open the Quick Menu go to Controls, Port 2 Controls and set Mapped Port to = 1
I've done this with WiiU Gamepad/Wiimote and both can control Player 1 perfectly I haven't got a Pro Controller to test but it should work the same?
It doesn't allow Port 2's Controller to navigate the UI though.. that's a separate issue :)

Last edited by ploggy,

GABO1423

Half the man he used to be.
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
What was the issue people were having with Pro Controllers? Was it something about not being able to use the WiiU Gamepad and the Pro Controller as Player 1 at the same time?
If so it IS possible, I don't know if its to do with Quarks recent changes or its been possible for awhile.
All you need to do is start your game (with both WiiU gamepad/Pro Controller connected) open the Quick Menu go to Controls, Port 2 Controls and set Mapped Port to = 1
I've done this with WiiU Gamepad/Wiimote and both can control Player 1 perfectly I haven't got a Pro Controller to test but it should work the same?
It doesn't allow Port 2's Controller to navigate the UI though.. that's a separate issue :)
The issue I have is that when I try to connect the Pro Controller, it just fails to connect, and while the Controller is on, it as useful as a brick.
20210719_154441.jpg

Attachments

• 20210719_154441.jpg
    20210719_154441.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The issue I have is that when I try to connect the Pro Controller, it just fails to connect, and while the Controller is on, it as useful as a brick.
View attachment 270472
Are you using the latest nightly?
Does it show up in Settings/Input/Port 2 Controls/Device index? (if so try manually setting each bind)
Try updating Databases and Controller Profiles in the Online Updater section?
Like I said in the last post I haven't got a Pro Controller to test with :P Is your Pro Controller official one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection