Not open for further replies.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
There haven't been any betas or anything else for Wii since the last update. The code is all up on GitHub, so users can compile it (and share it) if they want to, which is what happened. It wasn't meant for any particular type of user, it was just a build of what code was like at the time (highly transitional, i.e. unstable). It showcased a couple of new features like SuperrSonic's work adding "Set Screen Width" so that users can more accurately capture the aspect ratios of their original consoles, but also has relatively severe issues with both input and display.

Overall, it's usable but highly inconvenient: Wiimotes desynch when launching a game or changing cores, RGUI will only display sensibly when running at 640*480 (wrong resolution for most platforms emulated by RetroArch), so doing something like changing a setting becomes a many-step process of restoring the resolution to 640*480, navigating to and changing the desired menu option, navigating back to video options to put the resolution back and returning to the game.

If you don't have a pressing need to switch to gain a new feature or two, you're probably much better off sticking with the stable version. Personally, I use the newer Gambatte core for the benefit of Set Screen Width since GB/C are otherwise extremely difficult to get square pixels in on the Wii, but if you plan on changing settings, reloading games, etc. frequently it's no fun. Pick a game and stick with it and the RGUI problems mostly fade into the background.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There haven't been any betas or anything else for Wii since the last update. The code is all up on GitHub, so users can compile it (and share it) if they want to, which is what happened. It wasn't meant for any particular type of user, it was just a build of what code was like at the time (highly transitional, i.e. unstable). It showcased a couple of new features like SuperrSonic's work adding "Set Screen Width" so that users can more accurately capture the aspect ratios of their original consoles, but also has relatively severe issues with both input and display.

Overall, it's usable but highly inconvenient: Wiimotes desynch when launching a game or changing cores, RGUI will only display sensibly when running at 640*480 (wrong resolution for most platforms emulated by RetroArch), so doing something like changing a setting becomes a many-step process of restoring the resolution to 640*480, navigating to and changing the desired menu option, navigating back to video options to put the resolution back and returning to the game.

If you don't have a pressing need to switch to gain a new feature or two, you're probably much better off sticking with the stable version. Personally, I use the newer Gambatte core for the benefit of Set Screen Width since GB/C are otherwise extremely difficult to get square pixels in on the Wii, but if you plan on changing settings, reloading games, etc. frequently it's no fun. Pick a game and stick with it and the RGUI problems mostly fade into the background.

There isn't a 1.0.0.3 coming out for the Wii anytime soon is there? I could have sworn I read that on the Libretro forums, no ETA but there was another Wii version coming out soon? I wonder if there will be speed boosts for the GBA and Snes9x Next core, some games still have slowdowns, like SA-1 games (Kirby's Dream Land 3).

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
There isn't a 1.0.0.3 coming out for the Wii anytime soon is there? I could have sworn I read that on the Libretro forums, no ETA but there was another Wii version coming out soon? I wonder if there will be speed boosts for the GBA and Snes9x Next core, some games still have slowdowns, like SA-1 games (Kirby's Dream Land 3).
As far as I know, the priority for version 1.0.0.3 was going computers > phones/tablets > consoles, so work should begin (if it hasn't yet) on patching up the Wii version once everything else is done.

I haven't followed development on VBA-Next or Snes9x-Next at all, but it doesn't seem likely that there'll be any (further) major boosts to their performance. You might be better off hoping for the benefits of the new PSP port to rub off on the Wii. On PSP there's a tempGBA core since VBA-Next doesn't run well enough to be useful there. Perhaps the Wii could get on that and have two GBA cores, VBA-Next for games that it can run fullspeed, and tempGBA for those it can't. There's also a gpSP core in the pipeline, but that doesn't build for consoles yet. PSP doesn't have a SNES core at all yet, but if they can get one running well enough on PSP that should do the job on Wii, too.

Reactions: OriginalHamster

sideskroll

Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Guys, any way to save aspect ratio in settings? I read somewhere that it is a know problem. But I was thinking that MAYBE editing the CFG file (where is it BTW?) manually could work? I'm trying to get "core provided aspect ratio" to stick.
Aside from that the emus works flawlessly.

catuligbat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
If anyone have dump error at begins Mednafen_psx_libretro_wii.dol, must be secure have in retroarch system folder (where stay bios files) have scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin (this bios not appears but scph7003.bin works only rename as scph5501.bin) and scph5502.bin and emulator runs (very slowly but runs)

:yaywii:

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone have dump error at begins Mednafen_psx_libretro_wii.dol, must be secure have in retroarch system folder (where stay bios files) have scph5500.bin, scph5501.bin (this bios not appears but scph7003.bin works only rename as scph5501.bin) and scph5502.bin and emulator runs (very slowly but runs)

:yaywii:

I thought that Mednafen PSX was impossible on the Wii and/or wouldn't be ported over...? I take it you got it from a beta build? It sure as heck isn't on the 1.0.0.2 zip lol :P

SoulSpawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all, I was wondering if someone around still has the 0.9.9 Fix1 version, I've been looking for it and it's near impossible.
Only FBA CPS1, CPS2, and NEOGEO cores are needed.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Only FBA CPS1, CPS2, and NEOGEO cores are needed.

Here, I compiled these from when the source was still at 0.9.9 but the cores are from later versions. I have not tested them.

I was gonna ask why would you use such an old version? But I imagine that's because it's probably the most stable, however the lack of features is enough to prefer the later builds.

Reactions: OriginalHamster

SoulSpawn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here, I compiled these from when the source was still at 0.9.9 but the cores are from later versions. I have not tested them.

I was gonna ask why would you use such an old version? But I imagine that's because it's probably the most stable, however the lack of features is enough to prefer the later builds.

Thx SuperrSonic! Well I've been using a mix of 1.0.0.1 and 1.0.0.2, but since I discovered wiiflow I've been testing different versions and came to the conclusion that 0.9.9 was the best. Also the fix1 reapairs something broken with the USB.

Edit: I tried them and worked perfectly, except CPS2 core which gives me a black screen with any game. Any ideas?

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Edit: I tried them and worked perfectly, except CPS2 core which gives me a black screen with any game. Any ideas?

Yes, CPS2 is indeed broken, I tried it on the build of RA I use so it's definitely the core. I just need to grab an old source to temp fix it.
I can't use my pc right now but I'll try to do it before tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...