RetroArch Wii - Updated cores and stuff

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Godlance, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Godlance
    OP

Godlance Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    Wow, the emulation Wii scene is dying. Let's spice things up a little:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wcgvd6v3qs0v1en/2TK5NPcUHi

My dropbox folder with the latest builds. These include:

- Overlay support. That means SCANLINES. I've uploaded some scanline overlays here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nyo4j159zo7n8ic/AvGfc7x-sr

But the devs are uploading them to the Git repo too.

- Re-mapping of every input and hotkey. That means fast foward enable, thus making Mednafen Virtual Boy and Virtua Racing playable.

- Mednafen PSX. Works, slow as hell but works. Just for fun.

- The broken cores of CPS2 and Tyrquake. I've opened a ticket in Github, so let's see. For quake use tyrquake_libretro_old.dol and for CPS2 with scanline support use the fba_cores_cps2_libretro.dol from the previous working version folder.

Bonus psx screenshots:
    http://imgur.com/a/OmDnl

2. Dogway

Dogway GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Muchas gracias! Thank you!

3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I wish the PSX core would get optimized since emukidid all but killed off WiiSX :P

_47iscool likes this.
  4. Godlance
    OP

Godlance Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    Ok, after taking the issue to Github, it seems I was compiling them the wrong way... sorry.

Here are the newest versions of each core:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1cwcpljr2g89h6v/zsdoJ2v989

The NeoGeo Pocket issue was news for twinaphex and he's looking at it. Tyrquake now works like a charm, config the resolution to 320x240 in core options for full speed.

FBA CPS2 is now working properly.

5. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Do you think they will ever optimize or work on the PSX core? It'd be sweet if we could get another PSX emulator hrough RetroArch, but unless there was a lot of work put into, yeah. Glad we have people who help keep the scene alive, thanks! :D

_47iscool likes this.
  6. Godlance
    OP

Godlance Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    I don't know. When requesting a way to add scanlines by adding some new filters, the devs told me that hacking a core for an specific platform was not the way they do things.

So, maybe? It depends on how much you actually have to change the code and how much effort is needed.

7. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I wonder how they optimized Snes9x Next to run full speed, if they didn't actually hack the core itself. They've done some crazy cool things, that much I know.

_47iscool likes this.
  8. strai

strai Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2013
    United States

Thanks Godlance. I was waiting for this feature to be implemented

9. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    Except Wiimote input still cannot be remapped.

For those who want to play GBA games with the correct mapping can use the link below to download the correct input mappings as well as some simple overlays, one for darkness(VBA) and another one that imitates Nintendo's VC DMG color(Gambatte).
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7hcxlfbh6br722g/7GngZmKOof

Additionally you cannot remap "reset game" to the Wii's reset button, that's a bit backwards since you can map it to a joypad button. Tantric's emulators and VC have this feature.

10. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I believe there will be an "official" release with this in a week or so, a bug-fix release if you will, but we have the option of trying it out on our own :P

Too bad Tantric stopped working on his emulators :unsure:

11. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011

Snes9xGX was good for most games but VBAGX was a frameskip fest and the zoom mechanic is sort of annoying when you're going for a certain frame size for handheld games.
    The only thing I would have them do is import the automatic original and scaling modes, did you know that this release includes 34 resolutions??
    If there was more freedom with saving settings this would not be much of an issue because once you figure out the resolution you select it, save it and that's it, never have to bother selecting a video mode for the same game.

12. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

The nice thing about RA (VBA Next and Snes9x Next) is that neither use frameskipping, in fact, GBA emulation in RetroArch 1.0.0 is full speed with most games now :P

13. Godlance
    OP

Godlance Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    For those with trouble configuring controls in the CPS cores with a single wiimote (no attachments) setup, I've uploaded some modified cores here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wcgvd6v3qs0v1en/2TK5NPcUHi

They are in the "test cores" folder. The default wiimote controls have been remaped to make some CPS games such as Ghouls and Ghosts playable. This is not a solution, just a temporary fix. I've opened an issue in the main repo, so for the time being you can use this ones.

Strai, thank the developers, I'm just a fan with time to compile the source! ;)

the_randomizer likes this.
  14. Dogway

Dogway GBAtemp Regular

Aug 16, 2010
  15. Godlance
    OP

Godlance Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 5, 2008
    The recompiled ones. Always use those in the current version folder. Unless some core fails, in which case you should switch back to previous working.

GamerSince83 likes this.
  16. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Muchas gracias amable seƱor.

sabandellos likes this.
  17. jmckutchin

jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

Nov 26, 2008
    United States
    Podunk, U.S.A
    I liked SNES9X GX before Retroarch was mature, but ultimately it just doesn't run as well as the SNES9X Next core does. I'll take the ocassional input hiccup over SNES9X GX's audio hiccups and tinny-sound-when-exiting-the-menu any day of the week.

18. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

This. I'm glad I made the switch to Snes9x Next. The tinny menu sound bug bothered me to know end and was never resolved, I think it was limitation in libogc, but I could be wrong. Now, I'm not discrediting what Tantric did at all, no siree, he did a fantastic job and it's the first emulator I ever used when I first hacked my Wii, good times :D

19. jmckutchin

jmckutchin GBAtemp Regular

Nov 26, 2008
    United States
    Podunk, U.S.A
    I hated having to go in and out of the menu five times just to get rid of it, too. Terrible, terrible bug. I know some people don't like Retroarch's RGUI and prefer SNES9X GX for that reason, but once you get used to it, navigating RGUI is just so much faster. It cut the time I spent in menus by at least 50%.

But yeah, SNES9X GX was great for the period, but Tantric stopped worked on it just as Retroarch Wii was really kicking into high gear. That, combined with the faster SNES9X Next core, sorta makes GX redundant at this point.

20. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

The fact they do it all without frameskip makes it all the more better IMHO. GUI preferences be damned, RetroArch can't have a better GUI due to memory constraints :P