Retroarch (Wii) Non-functioning cores. (Starting Example, Image Viewer)

MeXen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Welp guys, when i first used the pc version of retroarch, i loved the idea of playing around with shaders and screenshots and since i am a sprite artist, i would love to see my creations on a real CRT at 240p, but as it turns out, post 1.3.6 versions of retroarch removed the Image Viewer as a standalone core and integrated it into the main engine itself on the PC, but for some reason, the wii version, among many of its other flaws, decided to completly break it.

The only version of RA that has the Image Viewer core is 1.3.6 (i have 4 different RAs on my Wii right now, newer one, HEXACO, RA MODIFIED and i just tested 1.3.6r) and even then when i load the core and load up images, it just shows the pictures on ''Infrared Mode'' as i like to call them, its a damn shame.

20220930_1600120.jpg

20220930_160103.jpg

And on newer versions, RA says that it does supports formats like JPEG and PNG images, but when i load them, it just crashes back into the HBC.

20220627_232904.jpg

I am not entirely sure if its just some lazy carryover from the PC version they didnt even bother to fix or update, or is there something i am missing, but i really HATE to deal with the IMAGE TO VIDEO trick workaround on WiiMC-SS.

Has anyone had any luck with this thing?

While we at it, how many other cores were faulty or down right worthless form your years of experience on RA on the Wii, cause i always kept hearing conflicting stories about its quality.

MeXen

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As far I remembered, it never worked correctly for The Wii. At best, it was displaying wrong colors probably because of the endianness not handled as it should. Later, the crash, not sure why.
Nothing you can do except reporting the error : https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues

EDIT
The issue is already reported (by you?).
No, that wasnt me, but seeing how no response was done there, safe to say they just are tone deaf and its a legitimate lost cause.

Might as well either just stay with WiiMCSS image2video conversion with Bilinear by defacto, or invest on that weird way to get my PC to putput 240p via Displayport > VGA > YPBR Transcoder > CRT with component, and playing with super resolutions on RA PC.

Lucky me.

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that wasnt me, but seeing how no response was done there, safe to say they just are tone deaf and its a legitimate lost cause.

Might as well either just stay with WiiMCSS image2video conversion with Bilinear by defacto, or invest on that weird way to get my PC to putput 240p via Displayport > VGA > YPBR Transcoder > CRT with component, and playing with super resolutions on RA PC.

Lucky me.
You may just want to ditch retroarch on the wii all together and use wiimednafen as they do the same thing or use different emulators for said app

If you want to reset retroarch try this https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wii-setting-it-up-mini-tutorial.590900/

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Lucky me.
Please be indulgent, they're working for free. And they don't have a Wii dedicated developer. It's a platform with limited audience now. And coding for it is far from easier compared with PC OS.
But I agree this feature would have been cool. I thought of using it to display game manuals/hints.

Reactions: niuus

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
1,3,6 is a very very very old and outdated version.
I'd suggest you to try the most up to date working version 1.10.3
Maybe you'll have better luck with updated RA.

Again: 1.10.3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ckbBpSKhw