RetroArch version 1.9.2 released, brings multi soft-patching support, improves GBA emulation on Vita

unnamed-768x432.png

Emulation frontend RetroArch just got a new update, bringing the program to version 1.9.2. This update adds some nice quality of life features and performance increases on certain platforms. File load times and RetroArch startup times are shorter across the board, and GBA emulator gpSP now works much better on the PlayStation Vita, as it's been optimized heavily since 1.9.1. In other news, 1.9.2 also adds multi soft-patching support, which as the name implies, will apply multiple patches to your ROM files on the fly, so long as they have a matching file name and are in the same folder as the base game, making it easier to deal with games that have lots of patches, such as romhacks or translations. A formatting example is shown in the example below.

Contra (Japan).nes
Contra (Japan).ips # Applied first
Contra (Japan).ips1 # Applied second
Contra (Japan).ups2 # Applied third

:arrow: Source

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already have a standalone GBA emulator on Vita, is a port of mGBA and works quite well, it even gets updated when mGBA does.

Yes, but you have to use frameskip, hard pass.

RetroArch shines on powerful hardware and unfortunately the Vita is not the PS3 that happens to be the bare minimum to make RetroArch tolerable.

So don't use it.

Shawn ShyGuy

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
United States
Still listed as "coming soon" for Steam unfortunately. I'm sure the hack on their servers delayed the release some.
IIRC, if you register for the playtest it automatically unlocks for you. Not sure why it hasn't been released on steam properly yet, but doing that will at least give you access, and you can benefit from the updates, steam multiplayer, etc. Ive been using primarily the steam build and it's been running fine.

Reactions: Chary and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, if you register for the playtest it automatically unlocks for you. Not sure why it hasn't been released on steam properly yet, but doing that will at least give you access, and you can benefit from the updates, steam multiplayer, etc. Ive been using primarily the steam build and it's been running fine.
Oh you're right, that was easy. I assumed it was by invite only since it said "the developers will let you know when they're accepting more testers" or something along those lines.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I actually think the soft patching is cool for those who want to retain one version of a rom. You probably can use the same savestates and perhaps glitch out in the process. I like to use ips patches for a lot of translation hacks and other qol aspects. Maybe I can ditch my 5 versions of Mother 2.

Reactions: Rahkeesh

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
RetroArch shines on powerful hardware and unfortunately the Vita is not the PS3 that happens to be the bare minimum to make RetroArch tolerable.

Disagree completely with that statement, I have powerful hardware and RA still sucks ass compared to standalone emus :)

To make it barely tolerable they really need to simplify things. I have a bit of an idea of how to make most things work, either hardware or software, I have modded many consoles etc over the years, complicated soldering etc, but can i get my head around the MANY config files that RA generates..... NO i cant, no matter how many goes i have at it. That should be the thing that they concentrate on fixing before add more features and making it even more complicated :)
Its the only emulator/front end that can work perfectly one minute and then be completely broken the next and mostly its down to the overcomplicated config files.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes, but you have to use frameskip, hard pass.

Just plan on PC then.

Disagree completely with that statement, I have powerful hardware and RA still sucks ass compared to standalone emus :)

To make it barely tolerable they really need to simplify things. I have a bit of an idea of how to make most things work, either hardware or software, I have modded many consoles etc over the years, complicated soldering etc, but can i get my head around the MANY config files that RA generates..... NO i cant, no matter how many goes i have at it. That should be the thing that they concentrate on fixing before add more features and making it even more complicated :)
Its the only emulator/front end that can work perfectly one minute and then be completely broken the next and mostly its down to the overcomplicated config files.

Well good thing I have up any time I tried to use RetroArch then.

Last edited by raxadian,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if retroarch feels too slow for you loading up, delete emulator cores and info files you don't need.
this works wonders on 3ds systems and is nice even on vita

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We already have a standalone GBA emulator on Vita, is a port of mGBA and works quite well, it even gets updated when mGBA does.

i have no idea how anyone can like mgba on non-pc hardware.
it doesn't run well at all and the menu is attrocious.
shortcuts? touchscreen shortcuts? slightly more complicated button configurations?

Reactions: tabzer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Playing the Judge Dredd arcade game prototype lol I can see why they didn't finish it but at the...