Homebrew RetroArch Switch

DrakeBueno

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/entry/retroarch-overclock-testing-and-beautifying.15332/

Many of you know I've been one of the primary testers for the Switch RetroArch overclock. Thought I'd give a quick progress report.

We now have an Overclock that is active only when using RetroArch instead of system wide. It can also go all they way up to 1.75GHz (default speed is 1GHz).

First of all, Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time are both very playable. With a 1.5GHz or higher OC you can get default settings very playable. With a little extra work you can take things to a whole new level.

One of these images of default settings. 4:3 aspect ratio, native resolution. The other one is 16:9 aspect ratio with a widescreen patch, upscaled to 720p resolution.

Regarding the OC itself, most people shouldn't need more than 1.2GHz and the dynarec bounty will make the OC all but obsolete.

There is no update on when these releases will be made public. Don't bother asking about it. I assure you we are all working very hard to get this to a state where we are comfortable distributing it. Long-term overclock can be very dangerous and it is vital we test thoroughly. Patience is appreciated.

Enjoy the eye-candy.

View attachment 149382 View attachment 149383

PS: This is without any Shaders applied. Less intensive shaders can be applied and maintain full speed, even with the higher res and widescreen. Not all, but some.
Thank you sir :)

jacopastorius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I tried searching in the thread but seems not to find anything about this: emulation with NES cores seems to be too fast. Both game speed and audio are too accelerated. Do i have to config something?

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried searching in the thread but seems not to find anything about this: emulation with NES cores seems to be too fast. Both game speed and audio are too accelerated. Do i have to config something?
Hello to all
Use core nestopia
Open gl driver
Vsynchro hard gpu on
No problem at all
1542269790-screenshot-2018-11-15-09-15-18.png

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
You're welcome, my friend.
Since you're talking about the nes I'm taking this opportunity to share it

I just want to share some information here, have fun again thanks to an ips makaimura arcade conversion patch in our famicom
Link description in the video detail

Z-bake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but so far nobody replied...
I can't save core specific options within RetroArch. RetroArch just creates an empty .cfg file. However, I manually copy/pasted the content of the main retroarch.cfg into the corename.cfg file and applied my changes.
It works, the file loads as a core specfig config file with the applied changes and everything works fine. Until I load a game from a playlist with a different core, then RetroArch will crash.
Does anyone have a fix for this?

Or how do you save specifig option, like the one for nestopia for example?

Last edited by Z-bake,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
retrogaming switch
I show you some options (shader overlay, run latency) and some games on different systems
genesis,master system,sg1000,gba etc... to make your opinion

Thx for the work. Since I didn't play around with thumbnails for over a year I've gotta ask: How did you configure it that you have both, boxarts and ingame screens at the same time? Is this an official option now or did you alter some files for that? I remember being forced to choose one of the three (box, screens, titlescreens).

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thx for the work. Since I didn't play around with thumbnails for over a year I've gotta ask: How did you configure it that you have both, boxarts and ingame screens at the same time? Is this an official option now or did you alter some files for that? I remember being forced to choose one of the three (box, screens, titlescreens).
Hello
No it's an option, at the very bottom you have left boxart and boxart
, then if you Press b ( scroll screen title, screenshots etc...)

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Changing the render resolution to 800x600 instead of 960x720 (and then with additional widescreen fix applied), often looks better for N64 games (imho). Even with texture dithering, scaled to 720 the polygon models look too "sharp and angly".

For beautify reasons also try 800x600 - might also be less demanding in terms of overclock. Consider this a tip. :)

Here are some OOT shots in that resolution from Mupen64 (also with widescreen fix cheats) on a FireTV (Android Box).

ohm2HHv.png

KLmcR8a.jpg

Jwli8mQ.png
Those screens look very good!

What's the best arcade emulator for Retroarch. Finalburn or Mame and what Romset does it support
That depends on what you want to play. As far as I know there are games that only work with either MAME or FB Alpha.
If you load the FBA core it should show the needed romset version at the bottom left.
For MAME you just have to google. For MAME 2003 it's 0.78 for example.

Illuminaticy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Illuminaticy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl