Homebrew RetroArch Switch

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not sure what you are doing, lol.
Are you sure you use a real SD and not fake china shit?
Nope, definitely not fake. Tested with h2testw when I got it. All 32GB there.

Can you tell me what PC version you actually downloaded? RetroArch on PC is the most complete version of all; there are not all that much differences between the Switch and PC versions.

Maybe it helps if you explain what you tried to do on the PC version.

Right, I downloaded the x64 Windows version installer from here. Is that correct? Also, the only thing I've tried to do is scan the directory with my gba and gbc roms, and manually run some with "load content." It recognized a few, but did not create playlists for the systems, even after saving the config and rebooting the program. When going to "load content" and pointing it manually to a directory with the exact rom files that I have successfully used on the Switch version, it did not even list those roms as a possibility. In fact, it listed nothing under a directory with around 30 something working roms in it, after previously recognizing about 10 of them.

I also tried running a working rom with "run with..." and pointing it to retroarch.exe. Nothing. Good stuff.

Reactions: Albytrozz

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nope, definitely not fake. Tested with h2testw when I got it. All 32GB there.

Right, I downloaded the x64 Windows version installer from here. Is that correct? Also, the only thing I've tried to do is scan the directory with my gba and gbc roms, and manually run some with "load content." It recognized a few, but did not create playlists for the systems, even after saving the config and rebooting the program. When going to "load content" and pointing it manually to a directory with the exact rom files that I have successfully used on the Switch version, it did not even list those roms as a possibility. In fact, it listed nothing under a directory with around 30 something working roms in it, after previously recognizing about 10 of them.

I also tried running a working rom with "run with..." and pointing it to retroarch.exe. Nothing. Good stuff.

Hi, I think that if you want Game Boy roms to be scanned, you first need a Game Boy core to be installed. I think that is the issue you are running into. The difference on Switch is that all the cores are already there. On PC, you need to manually download them.

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I think that if you want Game Boy roms to be scanned, you first need a Game Boy core to be installed. I think that is the issue you are running into. The difference on Switch is that all the cores are already there. On PC, you need to manually download them.
I was just about to suggest cores, because I've been screwing around in the menu for the last few minutes. Those files it "found" were all zip files, which only let you look into them and not actually load directly. My mistake. It doesn't recognize anything, and if I need a specific core for it to recognize them, that would make sense. Unfortunately, after going to "Online Updater" and "Core Updater" there is nothing listed whatsoever.

For some reason though, after rebooting and checking again there are cores listed. Okay, time to get to work on the PC version. I bet I can have it working in a day or so.

Anyway, back to the Switch version. I still would like to know why RetroArch is capable of messing up my working/real fat32 SD card. Is this going to happen again and has it happened to other people?

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Anyway, back to the Switch version. I still would like to know why RetroArch is capable of messing up my working/real fat32 SD card. Is this going to happen again and has it happened to other people?
Thats not a retroarch thing, its a nintendo engineering and user error thing

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My kid owns a Switch but I don't yet, and I'm not going to mod hers unless she comes to me asking for it. I'm curious -- how does WiiU emulation run on this?? Framerate/smoothness/compatibility

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh, no. You just don't know how to use it properly.
Correct. As I found out afterward and then posted about. Oh that reminds me, I should edit that post to point out the flaws in my logic. Thanks.

Thats not a retroarch thing, its a nintendo engineering and user error thing
Wait, you knew what caused that this whole time and you didn't tell me? Minus the purported user error which I assume quite efficaciously that you would have already brought to my attention.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Correct. As I found out afterward and then posted about. Oh that reminds me, I should edit that post to point out the flaws in my logic. Thanks.

Wait, you knew what caused that this whole time and you didn't tell me? Minus the purported user error which I assume quite efficaciously that you would have already brought to my attention.
We are telling that to the public since months
It affects all homebrew

Reactions: lordelan

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are telling that to the public since months
It affects all homebrew
What?

Just so you don't misunderstand, a clarification:

What?
As in, "what do you mean", because your meaning was not clearly indicated by your explicit rhetoric.

Perhaps you were attempting to tell me that some piece of information has been making the rounds and should be widely known by now. I'm not certain, but I hope you're not referring to the exFAT problem, as I have stated many times that I am using fat32 for RetroArch.

Thusly, I reiterate "what", as I do not understand your meaning. Please explicitly state the problem for which you have exacting proof.

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What?

What?
As in, "what do you mean", because your meaning was not clearly indicated by your explicit rhetoric.

Perhaps you were attempting to tell me that some piece of information has been making the rounds and should be widely known by now. I'm not certain, but I hope you're not referring to the exFAT problem, as I have stated many times that I am using fat32 for RetroArch.

Thusly, I reiterate "what", as I do not understand your meaning. Please explicitly state the problem for which you have exacting proof.
Both filesystems suffer from the same problem.
FAT32 has a 2nd FAT, while exFAT has not (so FAT32 can often recover).
Consider yourself very very unlucky. I can count on 1 hand how often I saw FAT32 break. But it does happen. I mean what do people expect, pressing home button (like taskkill) while files are written, meanwhile nintendo touches files it shouldnt on READ.
Its a crazy mess of shitty engineering and users doing random things.
Pressing home would be the equavilent of pulling the plug in your PC while writing to the disk

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello i have Retroarch on switch working fine.
Is there a way to change the outlay for example with some folders etc if you dont want to view them can they be hidden?
Thanks

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What?

What?

They been saying for months that exfat sucks with retroarch on switch, and that fat32 is better BUT your still not 100% safe from corruptions or other issues.
This stuff is still relatively new and not that stable so always make backups of your stuff.

bluedart

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both filesystems suffer from the same problem.
FAT32 has a 2nd FAT, while exFAT has not (so FAT32 can often recover).
Consider yourself very very unlucky. I can count on 1 hand how often I saw FAT32 break. But it does happen. I mean what do people expect, pressing home button (like taskkill) while files are written, meanwhile nintendo touches files it shouldnt on READ.
Its a crazy mess of shitty engineering and users doing random things.
Pressing home would be the equavilent of pulling the plug in your PC while writing to the disk

They been saying for months that exfat sucks with retroarch on switch, and that fat32 is better BUT your still not 100% safe from corruptions or other issues.
This stuff is still relatively new and not that stable so always make backups of your stuff.
Thank you guys so much, this is exactly what I was asking about. fat32 essentially has to fail twice which isn't very likely, so that's why people like it more. I mostly avoid hitting the home button since I know it just closes the program, instead using the power button for sleep, but I didn't know it just force-closes the application and possibly screws stuff up.

Two questions: Is there a way around using the home button when homebrew hangs: Is it acceptable to just power-off and power-on again? Also, can the home-menu problem be overcome by installing the program as an NSP? That would be quite beneficial in the case of RetroArch.

LibretroRetroArc

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
A blog post update - very important stuff being covered for you Switch users!

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/core-updates-summary-october-2018/

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also guys, don't forget about this little gem here -

Last edited by LibretroRetroArc,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A blog post update - very important stuff being covered for you Switch users!

https://www.libretro.com/index.php/core-updates-summary-october-2018/

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1048025870034722817

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also guys, don't forget about this little gem here -

https://twitter.com/libretro/status/1048027220525178880
Thanks for the NSP!
I have added the link to it on the OP, and specified that the NSP is required for running Mupen64 Plus at the moment :)
Also, will you guys do individual NSPs for each core?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass