Homebrew RetroArch Switch

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of this. It works for every single core... except N64.
I always turn integer scaling of and keep aspect ratio on to have a perfectly fit screen that either only has black bars on the left and right (because 4:3 content on a 16:9 console naturally does) or on top and bottom although this doesn't happen on the Switch since it's already 16:9 and I'm not aware of any core that runs on it that has an even wider screen.
Seems to work for me.

Edit to add my configuration: Switch is updated to latest firmware. Atmosphere is updated to latest. Hekate is updated to latest. Retroarch is updated to the latest directly from their website. I am not using nightlies.

Attachments

• 3F245104-31DD-4996-94B8-5119BCD14AD0.jpeg
    3F245104-31DD-4996-94B8-5119BCD14AD0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • 26B65058-B5C4-4ACF-BAB1-285482E4B5F9.jpeg
    26B65058-B5C4-4ACF-BAB1-285482E4B5F9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
Last edited by rcpd,
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seems to work for me.

Edit to add my configuration: Switch is updated to latest firmware. Atmosphere is updated to latest. Hekate is updated to latest. Retroarch is updated to the latest directly from their website. I am not using nightlies.
First: Stretching 4:3 content to 16:9 is not what I want to begin with anyway.
Second: It does not work. I definitely did it before launching any content or switching to any core and it still gives me letterboxing on the top and bottom which should not happen. In fact it should touch the top and bottom of the screen with letterboxing on the left and right just like any other 4:3 system (Genesis, Game Gear, PC Engine...).

08b33f6b-2e88-4768-aab1-03c928e5f2b9.jpg

Third: Even in your screenshot I can clearly see letterboxing at the top and bottom of the screen.

Don't wanna sound rude and I'm really (in all honesty) thankful for you wanting to help me. I'm just tired of this as I've tried this a few times over the last couple of years and the issue is still there.

Edit: And the worst part is... even playing around with the four offset values (L,R,T,B) inside the core settings does seem to do nothing at all now. Pretty sure it did something a few years ago where I literally had to go pixel by pixel to stretch it to full screen for a specific game but even that doesn't seem to work any longer.

I don't know what's causing the issue. Inter scale OFF and aspect ratio CORE PROVIDED should just scale the image so that there are no black bars at the top and bottom of the screen while staying in 4:3. @m4xw I guess you left this place for good but if not, maybe you can help me out. At least you did this core almost on your own. :)

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@lordelan

It would appear you’re correct. So I figured out the scaling properly and the values required. I hope this helps!

Attachments

• F8971160-1A84-48FF-AFBC-C36DB2EB0650.jpeg
    F8971160-1A84-48FF-AFBC-C36DB2EB0650.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • FF42BFDF-7A29-4552-A61C-4877921EB78B.jpeg
    FF42BFDF-7A29-4552-A61C-4877921EB78B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • E08135DF-8908-4A78-AF66-31B70BA6CFC5.jpeg
    E08135DF-8908-4A78-AF66-31B70BA6CFC5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It would appear you’re correct. So I figured out the scaling properly and the values required. I hope this helps!
Thanks for your work. It's still stretched to 16:9 instead of keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio (you should have used "core provided" instead of "custom") but I'll try to have a look at those settings.

Reactions: FanNintendo

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your work. It's still stretched to 16:9 instead of keeping the 4:3 aspect ratio (you should have used "core provided" instead of "custom") but I'll try to have a look at those settings.
The problem there is that if you use "Core Provided" it will always disable the custom aspect ratio settings. You have to select custom. Which does keep the 4:3 aspect ratio, but once you start defining X and Y axis in the ratio you begin stretching it. It looks worse than just selecting "Full" and dealing with the letterboxing.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The problem there is that if you use "Core Provided" it will always disable the custom aspect ratio settings. You have to select custom. Which does keep the 4:3 aspect ratio, but once you start defining X and Y axis in the ratio you begin stretching it. It looks worse than just selecting "Full" and dealing with the letterboxing.
I see. Thanks. I'll tinker around with this soon!

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even after all those years, N64 still has black bars on all four directions by default. Is there still no fix for this other than doing the offset stuff manually pixel by pixel until it "seems to be correct"?
Also as I'm super out of the loop, how would I increase performance without overclocking? Any one or two magic options to tweak to get it running smoothly? Frameskip maybe?
I have updated to 1.14.0 retroarch and the overlays bezels barely cover the black bars but the game seems play ok

Attachments

• 20230203_183822.jpg
    20230203_183822.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 72

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is anybody able to use Netplay?
I can't for the life of me get it to work with RetroArch 1.14.0 on the Switch.
Had it working countless times in the past (even between Switch and 3DS) but since recently it's not working on the Switch any longer. It tells me to launch a content  before hosting/joining (which is vice versa on all other platforms like my Steam Deck, Mac, Windows, Linux, Phone) and as soon as I do, it either tells me "failed to load content" or crashes completely.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had it working countless times in the past (even between Switch and 3DS) but since recently it's not working on the Switch any longer. It tells me to launch a content  before hosting/joining (which is vice versa on all other platforms like my Steam Deck, Mac, Windows, Linux, Phone) and as soon as I do, it either tells me "failed to load content" or crashes completely.
Same behavior here since 1.10.3.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dat file says it’s too large and it’s only 11mb. I just got a dat file today to create a custom playlist properly, so on my firestick it worked perfectly but on the switch it says it’s too large. I’m trying to create a separate playlist for arcade and I apparently needed a dat file to get proper name for arcade games.

Edit
I’m thiink I just solved my issue after posting this, take playlist file from windows or in my case my firestick hopefully it works that way.So I guess I will scan everything with the same name than put the playlist of that name In playlist folder if I’m correct.
Post automatically merged:

dat file says it’s too large and it’s only 11mb. I just got a dat file today to create a custom playlist properly, so on my firestick it worked perfectly but on the switch it says it’s too large. I’m trying to create a separate playlist for arcade and I apparently needed a dat file to get proper name for arcade games.

Edit
I’m thiink I just solved my issue after posting this, take playlist file from windows or in my case my firestick hopefully it works that way.So I guess I will scan everything with the same name than put the playlist of that name In playlist folder if I’m correct.
For now I give up, it won’t work that way. The playlist has a path, where games supposed to be located, I think I would have to edit each path to my sd card, too much work, whatever I read online did not mention that. I might be able to see the current playlist now but for that reason nothing will load.

Edit
In settings there is a way to create portable playlists, I guess I’ll try this.

Last edited by fst312,

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to confirm just in case someone else has the same issue I had with the dat file for arcade on switch. So I knew I could edit the path using notepad++, I didn’t want to do that because I thought it would take long, but it really was quick, crtl H is all I needed so I could replace every path one shot to the correct path I needed. It really is sad that the dat file says it’s too large, i didn’t even use my pc playlist, I made a new one using lakka for the first time with hekate, I always thought that whole lakka thing needed a partition and it was loading from android. I will say this I’m not using it again even if it somehow has better compatibility for two reasons, I don’t think there is a way out of it without turning off switch, I barely do that and the fact that I can’t access sd from it, I don’t need that loading on my desktop. Anyway crtl H on notepad++ to replace directory path.

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i still find N64 core as glide only 1 option i would like to see more than 4 options 2 is rice 3 is mupen 4 project 64 m4xw suppose to delivery update soon with N64 alot of debug fixed any soon

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if you got things working but for me when that happens, it’s usually because I’m loading the game from history or sometimes my playlist. For whatever reason things seem to work if I’m manually selecting the game. I’m usually on my switch so I can’t say this is the work around for every other system.

Is it possible to have two of the same cores, with different versions on retroarch. Another thing I’m wondering from page 1 it shows two cores that missing my retroarch switch right now, an n64 one and a ps1 one I believe, is that possibly to add back to my core list even if it doesn’t work correctly. Just asking because those should have still been on the core list since I believe the sega saturn is still there and that barely works as far as I know.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not sure if you got things working but for me when that happens, it’s usually because I’m loading the game from history or sometimes my playlist. For whatever reason things seem to work if I’m manually selecting the game. I’m usually on my switch so I can’t say this is the work around for every other system.

Is it possible to have two of the same cores, with different versions on retroarch. Another thing I’m wondering from page 1 it shows two cores that missing my retroarch switch right now, an n64 one and a ps1 one I believe, is that possibly to add back to my core list even if it doesn’t work correctly. Just asking because those should have still been on the core list since I believe the sega saturn is still there and that barely works as far as I know.
I'm aware of this but definitely selected the content manually.
Also this is already a known issue on Github.
But you claim to have gotten it to work? On the latest Switch version? Interesting.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of this but definitely selected the content manually.
Also this is already a known issue on Github.
But you claim to have gotten it to work? On the latest Switch version? Interesting.
Yeah I’m on the latest retroarch version on switch.

Forgot to mention one time my final burn neo wasn’t connecting I believe besides rebooting my router, I also deleted and put back my port forwarded ip address. My pc also works but I don’t know if I’m on latest version there since I barely use it. Hopefully this info helps whoever needs it.

Last edited by fst312,

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First: Stretching 4:3 content to 16:9 is not what I want to begin with anyway.
Second: It does not work. I definitely did it before launching any content or switching to any core and it still gives me letterboxing on the top and bottom which should not happen. In fact it should touch the top and bottom of the screen with letterboxing on the left and right just like any other 4:3 system (Genesis, Game Gear, PC Engine...).

View attachment 350847

Third: Even in your screenshot I can clearly see letterboxing at the top and bottom of the screen.

Don't wanna sound rude and I'm really (in all honesty) thankful for you wanting to help me. I'm just tired of this as I've tried this a few times over the last couple of years and the issue is still there.

Edit: And the worst part is... even playing around with the four offset values (L,R,T,B) inside the core settings does seem to do nothing at all now. Pretty sure it did something a few years ago where I literally had to go pixel by pixel to stretch it to full screen for a specific game but even that doesn't seem to work any longer.

I don't know what's causing the issue. Inter scale OFF and aspect ratio CORE PROVIDED should just scale the image so that there are no black bars at the top and bottom of the screen while staying in 4:3. @m4xw I guess you left this place for good but if not, maybe you can help me out. At least you did this core almost on your own. :)
Nah i didnt leave but I havent been checking in a while since i am way too busy and discord is enough to procrastinate...
Fwiw that Overscan is emulated and can be changed with GLideN's overscan settings (cant remember if that needed fbemu), its not the same overscan like the option u look at

Netplay will never work properly because savestate size is way too big.
However NX has built-in netplay which does actually work but it requires u to hardcode the IP in the code and also host the server instance (stuff on my gitlab).
Never really got a release because i have no way to handle a lobby system nor can i easily integrate into ra's netplay, but if you want a private multiplayer session i can tell u how

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nah i didnt leave but I havent been checking in a while since i am way too busy and discord is enough to procrastinate...
Fwiw that Overscan is emulated and can be changed with GLideN's overscan settings (cant remember if that needed fbemu), its not the same overscan like the option u look at
Oh hi, german fella. Glad to see you're not vanished.
I was already using the overscan options from within your core options menu (vs general overscan settings in RetroArch). Or is that still not what u meant?
Netplay will never work properly because savestate size is way too big.
However NX has built-in netplay which does actually work but it requires u to hardcode the IP in the code and also host the server instance (stuff on my gitlab).
Wait what? As I said I had it working just fine one or two years ago. It paired up nicely with both, my N3DSXL and my PC with no additional/special steps. The state of it not working was introduced in version 1.9.14 as another user wrote here: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/14849
Also @fst312 claims to have it working with the recent version.
Regardless, I'll have a look on your gitlab when I find the time. Thanks for all your input. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny