1. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    Well...this would be awkward to carry around with you if you're on the go a lot like me, but if you don't care, here's what you could do:

*Get a USB-to-USB-C converter cable and have the HDD connected to the USB-C port. Preferably have a WD HDD or a small enough portable SSD that can fit in your pocket and won't be too suspicious looking these days. Bridges also work.
    *Use the external HDD on the dock in TV mode.

Alternatively, you could go for a 256GB SD card, convert all of the PS1 games to .pbp, and reduce storage size, while putting the games that won't fit into the limits of a .pbp file in their own respective folders. Hell, even the SanDisk 400GB SD card was on sale for what the 256GB SD card was. Doubt it still is on sale, but look for stuff like this as it can really make your life much easier!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yes, I believe 1.7.5/1.7.6 is the current version. PS1 still needs Threaded Video to run at anything resembling full speed, and I still haven't tried the N64 emulator out yet. I'm more of a Playstation guy generally until what happened lately with Chicago...

2. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I do that already i have my games stored on there now, I picked one up from my campus bookstore for like 30 dollars on sale it's 1tb and in a protective rubber casing plugging into a apple usb A to C (got that on sale too in bookstore).

But does retroarch currently support that storage option, I haven't seen any documentation about it?

3. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    Best to ask m4xw or for someone to respond on that one. Even if you might need to send someone a PM to get them to notice you.

coppertj likes this.
  4. He will say no, mainly because he doesn't support or recommend using SX OS. I've seen him say it many times to others.

5. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

United States
    fair enough, they steal work of other people yet release their usb support not open source but have libraries for devs. hypocritical of xecuter.

6. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    gotta ask just to be sure, I tried running final fantasy 8 and 9 in .pbp format (all disks in one file), but the switch crashes when doing that.
    is that a file size issue or are my pbp files just broken (I've had them for quite a while and transfered them between a few disks, so they might've corrupted)

or are those games not compatible in other formats in general?

7. Beaps

Beaps GBAtemp Regular

Anyone looked at C64 in retroarch, I find it unplayable. It seems you have to keep going into the menu and swapping ports, swapping keyboard/joystick.

Is it an early release that's gonna be ironed out as it seems to run games great, but getting past the crack screens is very difficult.

Last edited by Beaps, Nov 11, 2018
  8. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
    Supposedly it only works with pbp files you've converted yourself, not official ones.

9. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    n1dus

10. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    Depends, but in general yes. The normal user method of googling game with pbp and getting whatever shows up, has a very high failure rate, compared to psx isos/bins you've converted to pbp yourself.

Might be because people distributing psone pbps where ripping stuff left and right to save bandwith, might be specifics of the psp psone emulator. long story short - pbp is great as a container (compressed, removes fillerbytes), but start with original PSX isos/bins and go from there. (psx2pbp is the Win tool that does the conversion).

11. grabman

grabman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Both games work fine for me

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    alright, thanks, will give it a try.

any options in psx2pbp i should use? and does it support converting several files into one or do they have to be fused before in some way?`

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Nov 11, 2018
  13. TheGreaKhali

TheGreaKhali Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    What's the best core to use for Genesis games.

Genesis Plus GX or Picodrive?

14. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    I was scolded for using picodrive. So Genesis Plus GX. ;)

You use picodrive for x32 games only, I was told. ;)

Its not like Ive posted this in this topic twice before... Max compression, the rest you can leave on default. (Max compression doesnt take much longer than non max, and doesnt take away from compatibility) Also use classic mode (at least I do), shouldnt matter though.

15. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    i guess it's more like if it runs gx, use gx. on a weaker system like 3ds or psp, I'd always go for pico

sorry, but the search function really doesn't work that well to find very specific info if you don't know exactly how to look for it.
    will compression increase load times like it does for psp games?

notimp likes this.
  16. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    Not notably - no. Did no A-B testing. Maybe. Perhaps. Ok, I'll go with no. ;)

(In the about 300 arcade mode completions in Tekken 3 it didnt make me change compression level of file format.. ;) Load times are fine. ;) )

edit: Here is a better approach: PSX had a "double speed" disc drive. That was 300 KB/s max throughput. Emulators usually stick to original disc speed, because of compatibility. The compression/decompression algo that doesnt give you 300 KB/s throughput even on a rooted coffe machine today doesnt exist in the consumer space.. ;)

Last edited by notimp, Nov 11, 2018
  17. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    i'll compare conversion, I know on the psp i eventually went with the 'worst' compression and the difference between best and worst was like~50mb or less, but load times were notably better.

ok, yeah, compression 1 and 9 are like 35mb difference on FF9. so I'll probably go with 1 just on the off chance it makes a speed difference.

thanks for the assistance.

18. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    Thanks for the insight. ;) (Quantify better, please. ;) If you can. )

19. Hodorian

Hodorian Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Try to download the nsp again and use the newest tinfoil. Which os version are you using? using

20. Eskorbuto

Eskorbuto Member
    Newcomer

Australia
    Is N64 and ps1 100% full speed playable? I'm using switch 5.1 software version, fat32 200 GB sdcard, and I get 85% fine speed in N64, with bad sound (slow) and can't load ps1 games., Is there a tutorial or configuration /settings guide to improve this?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RetroArch, Switch,