Homebrew RetroArch Switch

CobraX83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what's the "Music" section is for in the XMB? I hoped to playback my MP3s through this but it doesn't seem that's the intention?

As others have mentioned it does not look like it is functional just yet. On the other hand a way to convert video / movies has become available and I suppose you could always convert some music videos over. I am currently converting all my Studio Ghibli movies to the Switch and they look and play incredible! :)

gbazone

Trophies
XP
Country
Are the nightly builds improving? The last status update was thirteen days ago. I'm talking N64 and PSX. Also, by default the GBA resolution is not the correct ratio.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are the nightly builds improving? The last status update was thirteen days ago. I'm talking N64 and PSX. Also, by default the GBA resolution is not the correct ratio.

I think the default is 4:3, meaning anything that isn't built for a CRT is going to look off. If you change to "core provided" both mGBA and VBA seem to have it right, while preserving most of your 4:3 systems.

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Incredible still the rendering of this gba with retroarch. And the shaders who are fine.
1540157994-webp-net-gifmaker-5.gif

To choose one of the 4 images which is the rendering you prefer?
Image 1 ? 2? 3? Or 4?

1540158013-webp-net-gifmaker-3.gif

Well go I go back to astro on gba, and then dragon ball adventure too cute this game with the shaders to tear up the retina.
I still hesitate between rendering 3 and 4, the 3 is softer linear filter, made very pretty, just a little blurry ,the 4 is the same but with nearest filter, hard to share....

Last edited by KHEOPS,
Reactions: lordelan

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
will retroarch ever be ok on an exfat card or there is just no way someone comes up with a work around ? (not sure what make the corruption so i dont want to guess random stuffs lol )

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Retroarch has nothing to do with it, ask why a nintendo.... Why their exfat drivers are rotten, and tell them at the same time that it's awkward for homebrew, they may be going to help us.

eldavo2090

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Man... Playing Zelda ALTTP Randomizer with Shaders on my Switch truly is something else...
Incredible still the rendering of this gba with retroarch. And the shaders who are fine.
1540157994-webp-net-gifmaker-5.gif

Image 1 ? 2? 3? Or 4?

Well go I go back to astro on gba, and then dragon ball adventure too cute this game with the shaders to tear up the retina.
I still hesitate between rendering 3 and 4, the 3 is softer linear filter, made very pretty, just a little blurry ,the 4 is the same but with nearest filter, hard to share....

I personally would go with 4

Reactions: KHEOPS

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mainly see audio issues about the psx core,

As for the crackling audio; I've yet to solve that problem for PSX despite trying everything suggested on the Discord channel and here. Oddly enough, it occurs mainly during game intros - especially FMVs. During gameplay, however, the issue is either mitigated or resolved.

No idea why.

Last edited by x65943,

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just ignore him or her. Something isn't right. The ceaseless, breathless walls of text betray that.

As for the crackling audio; I've yet to solve that problem for PSX despite trying everything suggested on the Discord channel and here. Oddly enough, it occurs mainly during game intros - especially FMVs. During gameplay, however, the issue is either mitigated or resolved.

No idea why.
My problem is that its not on my psx games, just on the snes and nes games. I've been trying different options the whole day, updated all the cores and stuff

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Audio stutter is the result of

dropped frames / an emulator not "keeping up"
or
a sync mismatch

for "more demanding emulation cores" its necessary to enable
- threaded video
- the switch_thread audio driver (driver settings)
and
- disable vsync

as well as play with other settings, to see if you can get to the desired intended fps (fe. 60) for that game, by any means possible.

If a certain game doesnt reach its intended framerate in emulation - you wont get rid of audio stutter. (Wow, is that - base logic at work? We not worthy.) Enabling frame skipping is then the next attempt to get better audio (if dropping 1 or 2 frames helps, which it does in some cases).

For less demanding emulators, enabling
- threaded video
might actually move them out of sync (read up on why it does), so enabling vsync in those cases (caping the framerate) helps to sync them to the intended framerate and should solve audio stutter. Otherwise, disabling threaded video might help.

In some "edge" cases it might also help to raise audio delay above 64ms, but thats usually only helpful to let audio emulation "catch back up" - as the switch_thread audio driver is performant enough to not let the audio lag behind on most (/all?) cores, this should result in diminishing returns, but some users "swear" on that setting being fiddled with to get better results (I personally dont - because I like my audio to be in sync with actions in game, and not delayed).

Also in all cases I'd actually wanted an improvement, the stutter came from a game not running full speed, and increasing audio delay didnt help.

tl;dr

Crackling audio can be an issue because of a game running to slow, too fast, because of threaded video being enabled, or because of threaded video not being enabled. It depends.

So solving this issue depends on you being able to figure out whats causing it.

I can link you to 100 reddit posts where people would swear, that increasing audio delay "fixes" it. But in reality it always depends on whats causing it. Thats what I mean by low effort answers btw.
Also - none of us know, how resiliant you are towards games playing at lower framerates, and if audio is just the first thing you notice - when a game is only running half speed (N64 cores f.e.), so how do you expect us to "solve for that"? Even mind reading has its limits.

-mod snip-

Last edited by x65943, , Reason: stop attacking users
Reactions: KHEOPS

KHEOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
NOTIMP
I could probably give you a better answer than most people in here (because mine would entail when to have vsync on or off, as well as core driver and option settings), but I'm just tired beyond belief of low effort "work for me" grafters wanting to sucker other into supporting them, but not even having the means of articulating what they are trying to do.
I would say that the best possible configuration is hard vsynchro 2 frames, 0 delay, no threading video if you are forced to activate threading because you don't have 60 fps it's ruined, you'll never be 100% fullspeed with a vsynchro without jerk 100%
This is my basic setting in pcsx rearmed, and without activating the thread, I can switch the game, quick option enhanced resolution x2
If it doesn't run like that on switch, it's because there's really a problem somewhere, for the image I have an overlay aperture grill X 4 to 30℅ opacity ( 1280*720p)
Capture avermedia live gamer portable2
720p60 native

I still find impressive for psx... for the time the n64 competition in racing games is not Christmas...
On a small 720p handheld screen it's much prettier than on a 65 inch TV... Smartphone screen the video is beautiful after on tv...ca depends on the tv...
Eldavo2090
Yes I see you choose the picture4, but there are some games the picture 3 a little softer makes the game boy advance really pretty, but I hesitate on some games, like gunstar with the preset3 it is soft like a gba hd, in preset picture4, it is closer better sharpness, I agree also difficult to split easily in the middle of games.....
Image 1 ? 2? 3? Or 4?

1540185135-sonic3.gif

Last edited by KHEOPS,
Reactions: gmr23 and lordelan

DownwardSpyral

The Fastest Thing Alive
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anybody got 'Dynamic Background' working?
I have got it working on my Vita, but if I enable it in the Appearance menu, nothing happens.
I have the directory setup correctly and the Menu Shaders Pipeline turned off...
As a matter off fact i cant change the Background at all...?
When I want to point the Switch to the directory with my Wallpapers, nothing shows.
I have wallpapers in png and jpg format.
I hope somebody can point me in the right direction!

The wallpaper picker appears to be broken. I was able to change the main wallpaper by editing the assets/xmb/monochrome/png/bg.png file.

73ddb9f5185f406c85ed35980e64ffde.jpg

For Dynamic backgrounds to work, you need a png that matches the name of the playlist or menu item.

6deb490bb10033dc4ebe04083b873dd1.jpg

Reactions: lordelan and KHEOPS

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent