Homebrew RetroArch Switch

mesakagi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain why not just emulators but all homebrew very slowly erode and corrupt system files? I don't understand why and why not games would not do that too?

D

Deleted User

Can someone explain why not just emulators but all homebrew very slowly erode and corrupt system files? I don't understand why and why not games would not do that too?

well it seems to be more like errors let me give you some examples

you try and transfer a file that is 4gb but you have 1gb remaining well the switch system won't let you try that but ftp will...poof corruption

you create a folder with over 5000 files...the switch system doesn't do stuff like that but once modded you can...

i hope you see where this is going...

look if you want stability for fat32 you want problems and headaches occasionally? go exfat it's pretty simples.

Reactions: mesakagi

zacly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How are my files already corrupt? ._." i'm lost. I haven't had a single crash, except the one, like half an hour ago, and that i'm thinking might be something to do with the preview version of mgba that i launched and then exited.

I meant if corrupt files caused the problem then there is no fixing it. Once corrupt, always corrupt.

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far so good with the multidisc I am playing. It's a PS1 FMV called Fox Hunt. I am using an old version of RetroNX and 1.7.3 PCSX. I put 3 discs into 1 PBP and it's just over 1.5gb.

My first movie 'game', but seems less interactive than some I've seen.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone else having an issue with SNES emulator. Doesn't seem to matter if I use the SNES9x or SNES9x2010 core. Every time I load a game I just get a black screen and no sound. I've tried Super Mario World, Skyblazer, Chrono Trigger, and Rival Turfs.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Is there any certain setting I should mess with. To get certain games to run? I'm wanting to play, Ninja curse of darkness. It runs alright but just a LITTLE choppy. Same with audio.
Game title wrong, didnt read the last three pages of the thread (PSX Game)
Anyone ever get fast forward to work? The overlay says its fast forwarding, but the speed does not change.
FF speed isnt very fast to begin with by default. (Are you sure "it doesnt work"?) Might not work in all cores.
I meant if corrupt files caused the problem then there is no fixing it. Once corrupt, always corrupt.
Linked to an explaination and explained it twice in this thread, probably within the last 10 pages.
look if you want stability for fat32 you want problems and headaches occasionally? go exfat it's pretty simples.
The opposite is correct, and people using emulation (Retroarch, but also other) on the Switch are strongly suggested to use fat32 with 32k clustersize (you can still play "big" pirated games - hints to that also are in this thread already). fat32 isnt prone to corruption, Ive formated my card once in what - 8 months of HB use?
Just did that with FF8, and it just crashes on start.
Use any of the bios files supported by pcsxrearmed - or even the psp psx bios linked in here before. Make sure they are named correctly (names listed and linked to in this thread before - look it up). Use psx2pbp in classic mode - max compression. Should work. (Convert PSX isos on your own, dont just download pbps of the internet (version differences in certain psone for PSP releases - which is what you usually get when googling for pbp). I havent testet FF8. But every game that ran as bin/cue also ran as pbp in my case.
Anyone else having an issue with SNES emulator. Doesn't seem to matter if I use the SNES9x or SNES9x2010 core. Every time I load a game I just get a black screen and no sound. I've tried Super Mario World, Skyblazer, Chrono Trigger, and Rival Turfs.
No, you honestly are the first one. I dont even know where to start to troubleshoot.
Please help
Tried connecting 4 controllers? Tried configuring 4 controllers in Retroarch (while the game is loaded press + and - or R3+L3 (if you've set it up that way), and look for the controls option in quick menu. Or try it without a game loaded. Do the 4 controllers show up? Are they responsive in the configuration screen? If not - you probably cant.

If playing snes you have to set up a 4P multitap as the 2P controller.

Seriously though, this is what you want this thread to become?

Ehm... OK?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You need to enable threaded video, but it will make games choppy so I wouldn't recommend it. Don't know why it doesn't work otherwise.
Enabling threaded video will not make games choppy - it will make them considerably less choppy. At least with most cores (pscxrearmed, scummvm, ...). If you play "newer" games, you'll also probably have the audio driver set to switch_thread permanently. The same goes for that. Setting those two to threaded can be considered something like a "base setting" most people will have changed permanently from default. It shouldnt negatively impact most cores. If it does for some, you have to test/try out disabling said settings.

Hey, intelligence of the masses is working great again! This after people starting to recommend others to use exfat in here? Wonderful.
--

Also - I made the point in the past, that by allowing every Retroarch rtfm question (service request) in here free for all style, people are forced to react to wrong answers frequently - if they dont want this thread to go to hell in a handbasket. Low effort "everyone can ask for services" means, only the simplest responses propagate - means, wrong answers frequently given, almost as a given.

The better approach would be not to answer low effort rtfm questions at all - so everyone wanting to participate has to get basic knowledge first - thereby propagation of misinformation becomes less frequent, because you dont just have five guys - being able to do critical reading in this thread. It also means less frequency - so actual answers stick around longer.

But what do I know.

Well I know, that I wont be doing this for much longer...

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: shabbypenguin

zacly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you on exfat? Did you run RetroNX before RetroArch?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ugh...Whelp, I'll keep fiddling around with it. Maybe I'll find a solution for the next unfortunate person.

If it matters at all I am using the NSP downloaded from http://retroarch.com/?page=platforms
That should be fine.

Test the roms with a PC build of retroarch, if you can - do they load fine there?

Do a clean install at this point (delete the

/retroarch/

and

/switch/retroarch/

folders, and copy them over once more starting from scratch.

edit: If you have savegames from before - back them up! before deleting the folders. They are in /retroarch/cores/savegames/ and /retroarch/cores/savestates/

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps5-m2sdd-quit-working-in-ps5.622567/page-2 guess I'm not the only...