1. Legend Of Kay

Legend Of Kay GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Is it recommended to update by downloading the nightlys or by updating the cores in the app? Or does it not matter?

2. mesakagi

mesakagi Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Is this emulator safe to use now or dose it still slowly erode and corrupt system files?

3. ElConsolero

ElConsolero GBAtemp Regular

Gambia, The
    I run Retroarch on my NSW (OS 6.0.1 & latest SX OS 2.1beta) for a while and never had any real big issues with corrupt system files on my exFat formatted 128GB SD card.

4. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    never in my life will i understand the point of the playlist feature...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

well, exiting homebrew through the build in exit options goes a long way to keep corruption at bay.
    but you may already have issues you're not aware yet.
    a file here, a file there, you're not constantly checking every game installed, every save made etc

5. Lethal_NFS

Lethal_NFS Member

United States
    Probably a broken favorites tab.

6. LibretroRetroArc

LibretroRetroArc GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Don't use features like Black frame insertion at least in Video Settings, I imagine the relative low specs of the Switch display aren't really built for that. This feature is meant on PC for monitors that have 100/120Hz or more.

We might have to try hiding such options away for Switch, right now it's just there on any OpenGL-enabled build (since most of the code for RetroArch assumes a PC environment).

Bumblecito and ShadowOne333 like this.
  7. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Only exfat formatted cards will do that and it's not exclusive to Retroarch but all homebrew

mesakagi likes this.
  8. zacly

zacly Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada

I will try that one and hope it fixes my audio. Thanks for letting me know what nightly you're using

9. Bedant

Bedant Advanced Member
    Newcomer

India
    should i format
    my sd card to fat32 to prevent corruption?

10. Purple_Shyguy

Purple_Shyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Its recommended, yes. Fat32 with 32kb clusters.

I formatted my exfat because I was getting constant crashes in homebrew. It seems to have fixed it so far.

11. Bedant

Bedant Advanced Member
    Newcomer

India
    I just encountered my first one right after i posted my question, i was wondering if there is anything to know before formatting the sd to fat32, like, im assuming theres some drawbacks?, otherwise no one would have any problem shifting from exfat to fat32.

12. Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Anyone know why some MAME ROMS crash the Switch but work fine on the Windows version of Retroarch?

Tried playing NARC (Rev 7.00 and 3.20) using the Mame 2003 (and 2003 Plus) core and no matter what I do - it instantly crashes the Switch. Those same ROMs at least launch on the PC version. Using the Homebrew launcher, not the NSP and an ExFAT SD.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Max file size is 4.5GB on FAT32 which will affect things like NAND backups (they'll be split into chunks) and other large files like Homebrew. Other than that, not much else.

Last edited by Flying Scotsman, Oct 13, 2018
  13. Bedant

Bedant Advanced Member
    Newcomer

India
    I just encountered my first one right after i posted my question, i was wondering if there is anything to know before formatting the sd to fat32, like
    Will it also affect nsp files? if so, for example if i put a 14 gig nsp file, will they be split into different parts? if it will, how does this affect tinfoil?

14. Flying Scotsman

United States
    It affects all file types - not just NSPs etc. You'll have to split the NSP yourself using this very handy Python script. Dump all the parts into the Tinfoil folder like normal and it should install them in order automatically.

15. Bedant

Bedant Advanced Member
    Newcomer

India
    how does it affect game files, or for that matter, how does this affect the switch files that are already installed/in the sd card?
    PS: Sorry if i'm asking too many or stupid questions.

16. zacly

zacly Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Remember to change the folder to Archive so tinfoil can see it. Also usb installs are a thing now to get around this, it just needs some cleanup and a nice GUI to make it more user-friendly. That will come with time.

17. Flying Scotsman

United States
    It shouldn't affect them much. It's just more of a pain to split large NSPs manually every time you want to install something.

It will affect large files which can't be split however but I've not seen many of those so far.

18. zacly

zacly Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Make sure you copy all files to your computer, format the card the fat32 with 32kb clusters, copy the files back. Nsps are split after install, so if you have a larger game that's installed already it will fit on the Fat32. Unfortunately, it sounds like your files are already corrupt, so you will most likely have to start over.

19. Bedant

Bedant Advanced Member
    Newcomer

India
    How are my files already corrupt? ._." i'm lost. I haven't had a single crash, except the one, like half an hour ago, and that i'm thinking might be something to do with the preview version of mgba that i launched and then exited.

Last edited by Bedant, Oct 13, 2018
  20. q9p

q9p GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm clueless on what is going on with RetroArch on my Switch. For some reason when I save in-game it never actually saves. The savefile directory is the default one that RetroArch points to.

21. grabman

grabman GBAtemp Regular

United States
    exfat?

zacly likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - RetroArch, Switch,