Homebrew [RetroArch] Nightly builds here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TmenaceDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I can't underestand...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

All right, i will download different ROMS.
Thank you.

Link_enfant

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
But about Audio sync, does it make a big difference? It does seem to increase speed quite much but at what cost?
Guess it'd do something like adding sound delay but I may be wrong, hence my question. :)
Considering I almost only use CatSFC Plus, should I use it?
Thanks!

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Yeah, I was just saying. Stutter is better then the picture breaking in half. Noticeably in games like Sonic.
Maybe, depends on the user's needs. Imagine a game that's constantly just falling short of being ready for vblank. It almost makes it, then ... done! Wait, nope there went vblank. Now your 3DS twiddles thumbs for the period of the next frame: the game can't advance until vblank on the console, so there's nothing left to do, but everything is ready for emulation to continue. FInally, vblank comes, the emulator pushes the frame it's been waiting to show, then starts actually working on the next frame ... but it misses again! More thumb-twiddling. In the worst case scenario, vsync means your just-shy-of-60FPS game will take two frames to render every single frame and slow down to a 30FPS crawl. In this worst-case, I'd say tearing and a game running at 98% of full speed is better than no tearing and a game running at 50% of full speed.

It's probably going to be incredibly rare that anyone is that unlucky, of course, but the fact remains that vsync can potentially have a huge impact on performance.

EDIT: But disregard this misinformation, per @aliaspider below.

Last edited by Vague Rant,

aliaspider

Trophies
XP
Country
Tunisia
Nope, bad advice. If a game is running under 60FPS, forcing vsync will only slow it down further as it waits for the next vblank. Right, aliaspider?

If a game is running slow and you want to speed it up, disabling vsync is an entirely valid approach. I'm not saying it'll look nice, but neither does slow, juddery gameplay, so pick your poison.
that quote doesn't apply anymore, v-sync will be skipped now if the frame is running late, so it shouldn't hurt performance anymore when running under 60fps.
audio sync does though still, that will hopefully change in the future.

TmenaceDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I tryed a rom that run on Windows, "Marvel vs Capcom", and received the message "Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames." Any advice?
Thanks anyway.

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I tryed a rom that run on Windows, "Marvel vs Capcom", and received the message "Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames." Any advice?
Thanks anyway.
Again, that warning is just some irrelevant video stuff, it has nothing to do with whether games work or don't. Marvel vs. Capcom definitely does run, I've played it lots. Is your ROM called mvsc.zip? This is the one you need to run it, anything else like mvscu.zip needs to have mvsc.zip around to run, but mvsc.zip will run by itself.

Reactions: teampleb

TmenaceDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Again, that warning is just some irrelevant video stuff, it has nothing to do with whether games work or don't. Marvel vs. Capcom definitely does run, I've played it lots. Is your ROM called mvsc.zip? This is the one you need to run it, anything else like mvscu.zip needs to have mvsc.zip around to run, but mvsc.zip will run by itself.

Even with N3DS 10.1 + Ninjhax?
I download another mvsc.zip, it is a 22.168 KB size and i received a error of cannot put NULL into playlist.

Will try another downloads...

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say CatSFC Plus, personally. The performance is somewhat worse (though most games shouldn't be heavily impacted) but the sound quality is exponentially better. The downside is save states are broken. Overall, I think a combination of blargSNES and CatSFC Plus give the best of both worlds, but CatSFC might be worth having around for the occasional game which doesn't run well enough on Plus or blargSNES.

Yeah, perhaps all three really! Big Panel De Pon/Tetris Attack fan here, so that must be playable for me. Isn't on blargsnes, and (N3DS, 3dsx here) struggles to get 40fps on catsfc plus. Full speed on catsfc, but minor sound effect issues (mainly speech). Best on catsfc! Super Mario World on the other hand...:lol:
Sooo: @ShadowOne333: SNES? Not snes9x! - Fix'd! :lol:

Regarding sound issues in catsfc, is it just me going deaf in my old age, or is it only the sfx that are an issue? BGM is of highest importance for me, particularly with SNES games (of course!), and from what I've heard playing on it, that seems ok? Can quite easily handle the odd funky sounding sfx (unless it's as bad as Mario World is..)

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@mightymuffy I hate to do this to you, because if you're not noticing it then why ruin it ...

But basically, the audio is all off-pitch. Everything is higher than it's supposed to be. If you're playing something you've never played before or that you don't know too well, you might not notice since you don't have the original audio committed to memory. Otherwise, though, it can be sort of a "can't unhear" situation.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mightymuffy I hate to do this to you, because if you're not noticing it then why ruin it ...

But basically, the audio is all off-pitch. Everything is higher than it's supposed to be. If you're playing something you've never played before or that you don't know too well, you might not notice since you don't have the original audio committed to memory. Otherwise, though, it can be sort of a "can't unhear" situation.
I can tell. It just doesn't bother me. :P

Reactions: Vague Rant

TmenaceDev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That file size is way to small... and yes, it does run on Ninjhax.
I Found a post talking about disable the sound and vSync.
Try this and doesnt work.

Download another rom, and now the error "cannot push NULL or empity core info into the playlist"

Will give a try...

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
But about Audio sync, does it make a big difference? It does seem to increase speed quite much but at what cost?
Guess it'd do something like adding sound delay but I may be wrong, hence my question. :)
Considering I almost only use CatSFC Plus, should I use it?
Thanks!
For me, disabling audio sync makes the audio noticably faster in CATSFC. It's quite easy to here. A shame because you can gain a significant amount of fps in slower games such as Final Fantasy 6 by disabling audio sync.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I Found a post talking about disable the sound and vSync.
Try this and doesnt work.

Download another rom, and now the error "cannot push NULL or empity core info into the playlist"

Will give a try...
Have you tried simply waiting a little longer? That 'error' message is always displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: See I'm a good match maker I always knew he wouldnt leave over luke +1