Homebrew Question Retroarch + exFat = corruption?

Did you had any corruption issue while using Retroarch?

• Yes

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 55 44.0%

• Total voters

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
resources of the switch are still limited and emulation is still pretty shit, so save yourself time and go for a platform that has had years to evolve.

And this is just an outright lie.
The entirety of the 32-bit generation of consoles and back running fullspeed, both portable and docked, with functional N64/PSP emulation and soon-to-be finalized Sega Dreamcast emulation. . .
Is 'shit'.

The PS Vita would MURDER for these kinds of results, and what we have now is infinitely more convenient than the alternatives when it comes to playing these things with the same saves on the go and at home.

And that's just the emulators running under Horizon.

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use exfat and retroarch and never had any problems.

but to think you want a good emulation system using the switch and retroarch, think again.

your better off getting an android or pi set up.

resources of the switch are still limited and emulation is still pretty shit, so save yourself time and go for a platform that has had years to evolve.
Huh?

RetroArch on the Switch is far superior to RetroPie. I can't comment on Android but I doubt it's worth setting one up for RetroArch if you already have a Switch. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with RetroArch on my Switch.

Last edited by stick267,
D

Deleted User

Yep and that's what 99% of the people that hack their devices want. Free games.
Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly fine ith that
What piss me off, is just random people that come from nowhere yelling "exFAT is perfectly fine if you run games".
This thread is about RetroArch and exFAT. So go troll elsewhere.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use exfat and retroarch and never had any problems.

but to think you want a good emulation system using the switch and retroarch, think again.

your better off getting an android or pi set up.

Wrong

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if exfat is problem (nintendo driver) is it possible to run different driver (if developed) to handle it properly?

That's never going to happen. Fat32 can do everything Exfat can do if you just usb install your games which is not that difficult. Just use Fat32.

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"You're talking to a master of emulation" :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

Overclocking will not kill your Switch.

N64 emulation is not buggy as hell (well, relatively at least. N64 emulation is difficult no matter the platform). The vast majority of games run full speed and are 100% playable on the Switch.

You make it seem like the Switch has some god awful emulation capabilities but then go on to say, "The Switch manages systems up to PS1 and handhelds below DS well." What consoles are people trying to emulate other than those? You're also insinuating that there are a host of other devices that can emulate more powerful systems than those. Your recommendation of a Pi certainly isn't one of them, as it struggles with N64 already.

For my money, the Switch is the best platform for emulation. It emulates everything up to PS1/N64, is portable, and has controllers built-in. And to your point, it will only get better with time. PSP and Dreamcast emulation are in active development and are already working relatively well. And you can also emulate GameCube very well through L4T Ubuntu. What more do you want?

Last edited by stick267,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
So if exfat is problem (nintendo driver) is it possible to run different driver (if developed) to handle it properly?

I mean, sure. But have fun taking that up with the atmosphere developers. They have better things to prioritize.

I'd like to see it happen someday if only to fix the bugs with UTF-8 filenames, but I'm not so delusional that I believe it would happen unless I took matters into my own hands (and I won't - it's too much effort.)

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Noob question, but since choidujour can install exfat drivers on non exfat switch can it also be use to install a better implemented exfat drivers in the future?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Noob question, but since choidujour can install exfat drivers on non exfat switch can it also be use to install a better implemented exfat drivers in the future?
Possibly but it would have to be within some form of cfw os.

Like usb hdd support is possible within sx os cfw, within nintenfos official fw its impossible to use a usb hdd to run games.

mitcha

مجاهد صنديد مقاتل عنيد
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
question to fat32 supporters : the information that fat32 + homebrew = fine/no curruption.
so why not let exfat supporters having their issue/or not ,and move on !
i think every one that use homebrew on switch know this battle.

they choose to keep exfat even if the sdcard burns , why fighing then.
its just a waste of time.

Last edited by mitcha,

ImLEBrAn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
At this point, I wonder why Atmosphere developers even bother supporting us 'minorities' who just want to play homebrew and emulators, when their hard work is being put to waste on (particularly) shameless pirates using their software against the dev's wishes.

And not just shameless pirates; ones who outright stare at the blinding truth, then turn around and say "I don't have problems, so they don't exist."

We lost Rinnegatamante over this.

You know that emulators are piracy too, right? Or are you gonna say that you dump all of your SNES cartridges, GBC cartridges or w/e games you are playing on Retroarch?

Reactions: Bakugo

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You know that emulators are piracy too, right? Or are you gonna say that you dump all of your SNES cartridges, GBC cartridges or w/e games you are playing on Retroarch?

I have my own dumps I rely on, but old games aren't being distributed by the original publishers/developers anymore, so no one makes money off these old carts anyhow. That's not stealing anyone's money other than some dude on eBay.
Meanwhile, downloading actual Switch games are legit stealing sales. However you want to string it, that's substantially less ethical than playing something like Tales of Phantasia, which hasn't had a release (let alone one in legible English) in any official capacity for quite some time.

I doubt you yourself own a Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat II cabinet if you're emulating those boards through MAME. Preservation of obsolete, or in some cases, flat-out dying media is a perfectly legitimate thing, whereas downloading someone's dump of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate while the game is still being sold on the eShop isn't.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

they choose to keep exfat even if the sdcard burns , why fighing then.
its just a waste of time.

Then these users should also understand that they won't be receiving any support if the contents of their card dies. I myself have clumsily lost a couple of Dragon Quest saves the first time around.
Better to prevent a forest fire than react when the trees are already burned.

Reactions: mitcha

ImLEBrAn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I have my own dumps I rely on, but old games aren't being distributed by the original publishers/developers anymore, so no one makes money off these old carts anyhow. That's not stealing anyone's money other than some dude on eBay.
Meanwhile, downloading actual Switch games are legit stealing sales. However you want to string it, that's substantially less ethical than playing something like Tales of Phantasia, which hasn't had a release (let alone one in legible English) in any official capacity for quite some time.

I doubt you yourself own a Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat II cabinet if you're emulating those boards through MAME. Preservation of obsolete, or in some cases, flat-out dying media is a perfectly legitimate thing, whereas downloading someone's dump of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate while the game is still being sold on the eShop isn't.

So in the end you are still a pirate. Got it.

redmagejosh

Trophies
XP
Country
Panama
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Been using exFAT for over a year, no issues so far. Used to run ReiNX, now i'm using AMS. Currently playing a lot with retroarch since I'm playing through Breath of Fire I. Not a single issue.

Bakugo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
steamid.ml
XP
Country
United States

Piracy is piracy. You are not entitled to someone else's intellectual property just because they're not officially selling it anymore. You are a pirate playing illegal copies of games. Don't cry about pirates when you are a pirate yourself.

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Piracy is piracy. You are not entitled to someone else's intellectual property just because they're not officially selling it anymore. You are a pirate playing illegal copies of games. Don't cry about pirates when you are a pirate yourself.
Yep. Piracy is piracy. Tons of pc games can't also be bought anymore but that doesn't mean it's ok to download those games on torrents and not call it piracy. Lol!

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
So in the end you are still a pirate. Got it.
Except it's not the same and I'm not being a dick about it.
so

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yep. Piracy is piracy. Tons of pc games can't also be bought anymore but that doesn't mean it's ok to download those games on torrents and not call it piracy. Lol!
People's ethics are different, but 'pirating' games that can't be legally bought anymore isn't the same as downloading modern warez for Switch games that came out a week ago.
Vintage ROMs fall into the former camp. You do whatever you like with that info.
But this really isn't the place to be changing topics when Switch piracy is just all bad (unless you actually use your own gamecard dumps, which would be legal backups).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1