Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mame works fine but I can't reconfigure the controls for mame games
if I do, it doesn't work and everything I change no longer registers in-game
Open the mame menu and remap. You can’t remap in the retroarch UI. Mame has a menu you open while the games running.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A question to the porting team:
Why are the cia files in the cores folder? Till 1.7.3 there were only files corresponding to their cores which were 8 bytes only. This version was also less buggy. After 1.7.4 those small files were replaced by the bigger cia files and strangely got slower in starting the core (even which was started before once already and played) and slower by loading the content. It also takes twice the space on the SD card, installing the core to the system and keeping the cia file in the core. Does it really have to be like this? Is there no workaround?

Last edited by CaptainHIT,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is here any way to have frameskip working for dosbox ? I cannot find any option for that and I would like to play alone in the dark. The 3DS seems to be a little weak for that game.

The wii and wiiU can play it via retroarch, even my good old DS lite with ds2x86 can play this game...

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is here any way to have frameskip working for dosbox ? I cannot find any option for that and I would like to play alone in the dark. The 3DS seems to be a little weak for that game.

The wii and wiiU can play it via retroarch, even my good old DS lite with ds2x86 can play this game...
That’s not how dosbox works unfortunately. You’d be better off using twilight menu and the expanded memory and overclock options. The dosbox 3DS port is quite poor.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That’s not how dosbox works unfortunately. You’d be better off using twilight menu and the expanded memory and overclock options. The dosbox 3DS port is quite poor.

dosbox includes frameskip on PC, by pressing Ctrl + F7 or F8. It does not seem to work with RA 3DS. 166mhz is too weak for alone in the dark even on the DS side so no need to try twilight. Ds2x86 is using the 400mhz of the dstwo.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dosbox includes frameskip on PC, by pressing Ctrl + F7 or F8. It does not seem to work with RA 3DS. 166mhz is too weak for alone in the dark even on the DS side so no need to try twilight. Ds2x86 is using the 400mhz of the dstwo.
The processing speed of the 3DS and not having a hardware tenderer doesn’t allow for frameskip though. A lot of these older games were dependent on your processor speed for the game speed back in the day. There’s certainly versions of dosbox that allow frameskip, but it isn’t really for letting you play older games that don’t run fullspeed otherwise. IE if you used dosbox on a P3 frameskip wouldn’t make the game speed any faster. It would just skip frames for gpu limited games. Which is unlikely. Most of these older games are single threaded cpu bound. On top of that it has to emulate X86 on the 3DS, there are few functions that natively translate. I haven’t messed around with dosbox 3DS a ton but if someone were to port another fork that allows for some speed improvements it would definitely be playable for newer games. But the RA port is missing a lot and is a port of a slower fork of dosbox. I hope this explains why frameskip doesn’t really appear to work. I don’t know if it’s even implemented properly but it’s unlikely to help either way.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for
The processing speed of the 3DS and not having a hardware tenderer doesn’t allow for frameskip though. A lot of these older games were dependent on your processor speed for the game speed back in the day. There’s certainly versions of dosbox that allow frameskip, but it isn’t really for letting you play older games that don’t run fullspeed otherwise. IE if you used dosbox on a P3 frameskip wouldn’t make the game speed any faster. It would just skip frames for gpu limited games. Which is unlikely. Most of these older games are single threaded cpu bound. On top of that it has to emulate X86 on the 3DS, there are few functions that natively translate. I haven’t messed around with dosbox 3DS a ton but if someone were to port another fork that allows for some speed improvements it would definitely be playable for newer games. But the RA port is missing a lot and is a port of a slower fork of dosbox. I hope this explains why frameskip doesn’t really appear to work. I don’t know if it’s even implemented properly but it’s unlikely to help either way.
Thanks for the explanation, this makes sense. I hope someone will work on it. I contacted the dev that made ds2x86 to see if he has got motivation to do a port for the 3DS. I hope he will answer. Shame that our beloved 3DS cannot run good old 386/486 games.

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for

Thanks for the explanation, this makes sense. I hope someone will work on it. I contacted the dev that made ds2x86 to see if he has got motivation to do a port for the 3DS. I hope he will answer. Shame that our beloved 3DS cannot run good old 386/486 games.
I agree. At least SCUMM, C64 and Speccy have good ports so that covers a lot of bases. But you miss out on some really nice games. I like my switch but the 3DS XL is such an ideal size to keep in my backpack on work trips. And the battery life is so much better. Especially when coupled with my 20k mah battery so it’s easy to use on planes. Hopefully the switch lite gets hacked soon though.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree. At least SCUMM, C64 and Speccy have good ports so that covers a lot of bases. But you miss out on some really nice games. I like my switch but the 3DS XL is such an ideal size to keep in my backpack on work trips. And the battery life is so much better. Especially when coupled with my 20k mah battery so it’s easy to use on planes. Hopefully the switch lite gets hacked soon though.
It’s funny because I am travelling a lot too for my work over Europe and North Africa and the 3DS is always the console I bring with me, before it was the DS lite. I cannot agree more with you, this is the perfect device at the moment for planes and long trips.

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

Rj.MoG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s funny because I am travelling a lot too for my work over Europe and North Africa and the 3DS is always de console I bring with me, before it was the DS lite. I cannot agree more with you, this is the perfect device at the moment for planes and long trips.
IKR, imagine using the big ass switch in an “economy” seat . It’d be so uncomfortable on that little tray lol. I bought a switch lite for animal crossing and it’s a good size for plane trips, but I like having emulators too much.

Reactions: Zense

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
IKR, imagine using the big ass switch in an “economy” seat . It’d be so uncomfortable on that little tray lol. I bought a switch lite for animal crossing and it’s a good size for plane trips, but I like having emulators too much.

Yes economy seats are pain, knees touch the seat in front of you, elbows touch your neighbour... the tray is just... hell. You are in jail during hours :) switch lite will be mine when it will be hackable too.

EPgrouch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see that there is a new stable release for retroarch and was thinknig of updating from my current version(1.7 something) but I can't find any instructions on updating. do i just install the .cia or is there more to it?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I see that there is a new stable release for retroarch and was thinknig of updating from my current version(1.7 something) but I can't find any instructions on updating. do i just install the .cia or is there more to it?

the safest way to go about retroarch updates is to backup savefiles, savedata and system folders (potentially also remaps), then deleting the entire retroarch folder and putting the new one on the sd card, then copying your backups to the appropriate places.

since it speeds up startup times significantly, you should then delete all the cores that you don't use and the info files for them too.

and finally, yes, install those core cia files with fbi.

_____

Anyone knows why I only get crashes (both arm crashes and crashes that send me back to home menu when trying to run ps1 games?
I've got bios files, I'm using a nightly from one or two days ago, I'm using games in pbp format that work for my ps vita.
I've also removed config files to make new ones in case something was wrong with that.

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Reactions: someguy12345

EPgrouch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the safest way to go about retroarch updates is to backup savefiles, savedata and system folders (potentially also remaps), then deleting the entire retroarch folder and putting the new one on the sd card, then copying your backups to the appropriate places.

since it speeds up startup times significantly, you should then delete all the cores that you don't use and the info files for them too.

and finally, yes, install those core cia files with fbi.

_____

Anyone knows why I only get crashes (both arm crashes and crashes that send me back to home menu when trying to run ps1 games?
I've got bios files, I'm using a nightly from one or two days ago, I'm using games in pbp format that work for my ps vita.
I've also removed config files to make new ones in case something was wrong with that.
thanks got it sorted out now.

wanderindirk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Is the gpsp core known to have problems rendering 3D GBA games? I was trying 007 Nightfire and NFS Carbon Own the City. While the framerate was improved (which made them faster and smoother to play), both seemed to have problem with transparency. Is this normal? I’m on the latest build 1.8.6. I do have another core which I use regularly (pcsx-rearmed), could it be that the cfg file is messed up because I tinker with both cores?

Last edited by wanderindirk,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're lucky it runs at all, many 3D games won't do so under gPSP. Even 2D games have occasional issues with certain effects. Its just plain incomplete emulation, but it works well enough for the plethora of 2D games on the system, and is by far the fastest actual emulator for GBA on 3DS.

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The latest available nightly builds now have achievements (cheevos) enabled on all supported cores. (*internet required)

- enter your credentials in the achievements setting menu on your 3ds

It also possible to download boxart / title screens / gameplay images for your playlists. (RGUI)

- set: 'Settings > User Interface > Appearance > Menu Aspect Ratio' to '16:10'
- enable: 'Settings > User Interface > Appearance > Show Playlist Thumbnails'

Now, with a playlist item selected, you're given the option to download thumbnails.

You may want to customize the gui a bit more, to suit your own liking.
Have fun.

Floating Seal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey uh... So I've been banging my head against the wall for several weeks trying to use a ROM shortcut xml for the Homebrew Launcher. Why? Because I'm bored that's why! Any way, is there someone who has actually pulled it off on a recent version of RetroArch (1.8.5-1.8.6) and can show me a proper xml? If not that probably means that feature is broken and can't be fixed and I'll just have to live with that fact. There's no rush.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1