Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't understand anything toi the OP. It's supposed to help us setting up Retroarch oin our 3DSes, but after reading it 10 times I still don't know what to do to install it properly.
The easiest way to install is to use FBI.

Either install through TitleDB option, which means you won't have to put anything onto your SD card, and choose which RetroArch emulators you'd like.

Or if you don't mind putting the files on your SD card, then you can do that and batch install all RetroArch CIA at once.

Last edited by matt!,

Vetchemh3sr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of the OP is outdated and needs to be updated. Wonderswan emulator also has the * but it never gets anything above 24 frames per second, the NGPC emulator isn't even listed, and it still recommends BlargSNES over bubbles2k's SNES9x port.

Oh ok that makes sense. I guess I will wait for some new information to come out on it. Either that or get a new 3ds. I have the Snes9x on my o3ds, and it works great. Made me wonder why the nes emulator wasn't working well lol

Player-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MrHuu what the fuck?

wtfmh.png

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does neogeo work with unibios 3.2? also i cant find the option to select the bios in the core settings, anyone figured it out?

The latest .dat file i found from FBA shows 'uni-bios_3_1.rom' as latest.
CORE options to set a custom BIOS are unavailable, there is a third option for the 'Neo Geo UniBIOS' setting next to ON / OFF; called 'custom'. But i haven't got a clue how to use it.

The easiest way to use the 3.2 UniBIOS, is to rename it to 'uni-bios_3_1.rom' and replace it in the 'neogeo.zip'.

I don't understand what retroarch_3ds.cia is for then. I was under the impression I could launch it once installed and load the core I wanted to use and then emulate the ROMs i wanted to. But instead it doesn't work, and I need to use the specific CIAs for the cores I want to run.

Furthermore, I am having an extremely hard time emulating Zelda - A Link to the Past with decent performance (using the snes9x2010 cia). What's up with that? Do i need to change configs to make it run better? What's the magic trick? Why isn't there a config going around where the settings are all tweaked for the best results? Aren't all n3dses performing the same?

Have you tried to: Start a CORE, play a game, exit trough menu? Then launch the retroarch_3ds.cia.
Gets rid of the error every time. I always use the retroarch_3ds.cia. Most of my cores are still gift wrapped, since i only load them from inside retroarch.

I've been the most successful with snes9x 2005 (no plus!). Most games i've played run at a stable 60fps. Zelda, Mario RPG, Super Mario World, DKC series and some others.

Also, if you make any changes in the settings, you can reset them by pressing 'start'.
No need to delete your .cfg file.

@MrHuu what the fuck?

wtfmh.png

Press: Restart now

I use NOD32 btw..
http://support.eset.com/kb2390/?locale=en_US

Last edited by MrHuu,

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With a game loaded on fMSX.
Navigate to: Main Menu / Quick Menu / Controls
Scroll all the way down.

Thanks. So they're only mapping a few keys to 3DS controls.

I'm happy to dive in to the code and make some changes if you have any guidance or experience with how easy it might be to add more mappings to a core?

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i removed it before i posted that screenshot, but what i wanna know is why is a cia file packed in a 7z file being flagged as a trojan. :unsure:

Because, i can't upload a .cia file. And a folder structure for the .core file. :teach:

Well if you really want to find anything inside it, place it in a sandbox and monitor the shit out of that .cia file.

It's more fun to just install it on your 3DS, and delete the .7z if you don't trust it.

Last edited by MrHuu,

Player-1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because, i can't upload a .cia file. And a folder structure for the .core file. :teach:

Well if you really want to find anything inside it, place it in a sandbox and monitor the shit out of that .cia file.

It's more fun to just install it on your 3DS, and delete the .7z if you don't trust it.

doesn't really answer my question. i've downloaded cia files from other threads but have never gotten a trojan warning from those downloads.

not trying to go too off topic with this, but the fact of the matter is that it's been flagged as a virus by windows and i think it's something you should look into with the files you've uploaded so far so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited by Player-1,

nightbreed813

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doesn't really answer my question. i've downloaded cia files from other threads but have never gotten a trojan warning from those downloads.

not trying to go too off topic with this, but the fact of the matter is that it's been flagged as a virus by windows and i think it's something you should look into with the files you've uploaded so far so it doesn't happen again.
It's a false positive like he said due to how he has to upload it and the folder structure. If it is changed the emulator won't work.

Last edited by nightbreed813,

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All, Haven't tried this in a while. New UI looks great! Anyways, Sonic CD; the opening into song, doesn't seem to play the correct tune, instead it's a brief sound clip. Anyone know how to fix this? Was hoping to hear the much desired sonic boom song:)

Also, does this emu support any 3d effect? Would be great is we could get an old curved 80's tube effect similar to that found on the official 3DS Sega classic games

Last edited by democracy,

bookdragon143

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm very confused on where the pcsx rearmed .cia has gone. I can't find it anywhere on the net. When I download either the stable or nightly builds it doesn't seem to be there. Where should I go?

thelastlokean

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm very confused on where the pcsx rearmed .cia has gone. I can't find it anywhere on the net. When I download either the stable or nightly builds it doesn't seem to be there. Where should I go?

I'm pretty sure its in version like 1.3.6 and you can update to version 1.4.1 and bring the old core with you...

Reactions: matt!

GammaLyrae

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally gave Retroarch 1.4.1 a try. I wanted to be charitable in my testing, so for the SNES cores, I threw Turtles in Time at it - a game with no special chips. Why is an N3DS struggling to run this game at full speed? Pretty sure this is a step backwards from 1.3.3.

Other complaints;

There are thousands of playlist and database files associated with cores that the 3ds port doesn't have, and probably wont ever have due to performance reasons. Really makes it a pain in the ass to do a proper install of it since ideally you should be trashing the old files to eliminate weird configuration problems between upgrades.

Other decisions that boggle my mind include the bundling of a virtualboy emulator, which ran Wario Land at 1/3 playable speed, yet pcsx_rearmed, an emulator which could run some games (like symphony of the night) at 2/3 of playable speed or higher was thrown out.

The new interface is kinda nice. Being able to switch cores without having to quit to the menu is cool. But it feels like the only emulators that actually run at acceptable speeds are the NES and genesis cores.

Looks like I'll be going back to relying on VC injects.

Transdude1996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All, Haven't tried this in a while. New UI looks great! Anyways, Sonic CD; the opening into song, doesn't seem to play the correct tune, instead it's a brief sound clip. Anyone know how to fix this? Was hoping to hear the much desired sonic boom song:)

Also, does this emu support any 3d effect? Would be great is we could get an old curved 80's tube effect similar to that found on the official 3DS Sega classic games

Sega CD emulation is a bit messy at the moment. All the games I've tested run, at minimum, half the speed, but the problems only occur when the games are reading content directly from the disc image. However, when the content is fully loaded, the games do run as well as any Genesis game. For the most part, just wait for the next stable build. Sega CD emulation should be fully optimized by then.

As for the latter question, there is no support for any 3D effect (except for making the games slightly clearer).

Reactions: democracy

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sega CD emulation is a bit messy at the moment. All the games I've tested run, at minimum, half the speed, but the problems only occur when the games are reading content directly from the disc image. However, when the content is fully loaded, the games do run as well as any Genesis game. For the most part, just wait for the next stable build. Sega CD emulation should be fully optimized by then.

As for the latter question, there is no support for any 3D effect (except for making the games slightly clearer).
Thanks! Was reading that somewhere, to use 3DS mode to enhance picture, clever:)

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it feels like the only emulators that actually run at acceptable speeds are the NES and genesis cores.
I tried a few Neo Geo games on FB Alpha, and the only one that slowed down was Neo Turf Masters. And the GB/C Bionic Commando games, which went slowly on GameYob and mGBA, work really well on Gambatte. TG-16 (Mednafen) is pretty good too.

As for SNES, well, I'm sure you've seen it already, but I can't recommend it enough.

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom

yet pcsx_rearmed, an emulator which could run some games (like symphony of the night) at 2/3 of playable speed or higher was thrown out.
It's not that it's been thrown out, but that nobody noticed thaw the build stopped working before 1.4.0 was released and nobody who is capable is bothered enough to fix it. You have to use the 1.3.6 build.

I've reported it, and it has been confirmed that the build is broken. https://github.com/libretro/pcsx_rearmed/issues/100

At this point the 3DS build seems largely abandoned. As much as I appreciate what the RA guys are doing, their quality control process is really truly awful.

I agree with your other points about files that are not required being installed with 3DS is quite annoying.

Last edited by matt!,

Muxi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Is there a possibility to insert pcsx-rearmed_1.3.6 to the new version 1.4.1? I like the all-in-one solution of the new menu-interface (retroarch.cia), but everytime when I start the pcsx_rearmed-core, the old menu appears and I have to set everything new to get the new interface.
Any ideas ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FFQ_g8OoQM&list=RD8FFQ_g8OoQM&start_radio=1