Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

NintendoGuy128

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I just asked aliaspider about this. You're not seeing an issue, that's just how it is. The 3DS's csnd service is only available under certain titles, so when you're specifically launching under something else like YouTube, Monster Hunter 4U, etc. you're losing access to the csnd service in the tradeoff. As such, it can't use csnd and defaults to the dsp driver instead. The only other option is to set it to null and have no sound at all.

I assume by "freezing" you're talking about red screens on startup? That's because the XML is how you as a user are telling the Homebrew Launcher to launch under another title, which is the only way for larger cores like MAME and FBA to run. Without the XML, it won't work.

An XML is just a plaintext file, you can create it in Notepad or whatever other similar text editors you have on your PC. You can just copy the code section of this post into your text editor and save it as [core name].xml and place it alongside the 3dsx for the core you're trying to run. For example, if you're trying to run mame2000_libretro.3dsx, you place your XML file in the same directory, named mame2000_libretro.xml.

Thank you so much! :)

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just asked aliaspider about this. You're not seeing an issue, that's just how it is. The 3DS's csnd service is only available under certain titles, so when you're specifically launching under something else like YouTube, Monster Hunter 4U, etc. you're losing access to the csnd service in the tradeoff. As such, it can't use csnd and defaults to the dsp driver instead. The only other option is to set it to null and have no sound at all.

Thanks, that makes sense... and checking back on the screenshots I posted last weekend (pg26 or 27 I think), it wasn't working then either - but fps was definitely on average 10fps better on those builds.

Can I request a separate CPS3 core? So we can run it a bit faster with CSND?
In fact, it would seem logical to separate all the FBA cores for the 3dsx builds and just have the full FBA for CIA and 3ds.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Azel

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
aliaspider did say he wants to work on improving the dsp driver, so ideally this shouldn't be necessary at some point in the future; the goal is presumably for dsp to be as good or better than csnd, but of course how long that will take is all down to time/effort/knowledge/etc.

Reactions: duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
aliaspider did say he wants to work on improving the dsp driver, so ideally this shouldn't be necessary at some point in the future; the goal is presumably for dsp to be as good or better than csnd, but of course how long that will take is all down to time/effort/knowledge/etc.
In that case, if we had a build of the FBA core that strips out the cores we already have (CPS1, CPS2, NeoGeo) and the cores already covered in other builds (PCE, Megadrive, etc), would that reduce the size enough to do away with the xml requirement?

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
@duwen Probably not, even MAME 2000 is more than twice the size of what's available without launching under another title, IIRC.

You're probably best off hoping for either improvements in the dsp driver (fairly likely) or that someone will make a specific CPS-3 core as you hoped (less likely), but that's a lot of work to go to to support a legacy sound driver on a single platform when it will likely be rendered redundant by better dsp support in the future. It's not really a future-proof way for developers to spend their time, but of course that won't necessarily stop someone who has the passion, time and ability to do it from forging through, anyway.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Edit : Edited the 1st post with links related to setting up homebrew on 3DS.

also XML file should be inclueded by default with the next nighlies. (@aliaspider might be a good idea, if possible to edit the FBA/Mame cores description on HBL to hint that you need Monster Hunter 4U/Smash Bros Demo or up to date Youtube app)
-----------
Thanks, that makes sense... and checking back on the screenshots I posted last weekend (pg26 or 27 I think), it wasn't working then either - but fps was definitely on average 10fps better on those builds.

In fact, it would seem logical to separate all the FBA cores for the 3dsx builds and just have the full FBA for CIA and 3ds.
from what I uderstand, (I think we talked about this early in this thread(I was asking about the exact same thing as you ;))) it takes a lot of work to isolate different fba systems as cores, lucking cps1/cps2/neo were already done so we did benefit from that.

Sorry. I must have forgot. I guess we can add that to the FAQ.
What FAQ ?
While I'll agree with you that I know next to nothing about arcade emulation, and that maybe I should have done more research before posting, I feel that there are plenty of people that would rather just get their games set up as quickly and easily as possible without having to spend hours earning their bachelors degree in Arcade Science.

Maybe you view this as lazy, but to a newcomer who has more on their plate than learning how arcade machines work, the complexity of it can be a little daunting. I think that's why some people come here asking questions because they figure there are people here far more knowledgeable in this area than they are and are only hoping for a little help.

I fully support the idea of a tutorial not only for how the game systems work, but also how Retroarch works. There are tons of options in the gui to wrap our heads around and I imagine most users are left guessing what most of them do. I wish there were an in depth look at what each of the options do and the effect they have on the games that are being emulated. That along with a thorough FAQ section would help cut down on the noob questions.
If you want to get you games up and running, just buy emulated versions that are ready to play, like Virtual Console releases or PSN/XBL/Steam ports, if they don't exist or don't want to go that route, I'm affraid you're going to have to learn how to run them, how those used to work (yes because the aim of this thread is to post about issues, so I you have no idea about how those games ran or are suppoed to run emulated at their best on PC (or something) how are you going to give feedback ?)

Who in their right mind would want to do the opposite of "just get their games set up as quickly and easily as possible" LOL, it's because there's not much of a choice there, for instance, I know next to nothing about pre-IBM compatible computers, you have to know how to use them to run stuff, would it come to mind to go and post in irrelevant places about "this amiga/commodore/atari st/etc game does not run, please make it so I can just run it and be done with it." ? nope. you want to run a specific game ? you gotta learn how the system work if only for a bit.

I'm sorry it was a different era, and things were trickier to run, not to piss you off, just because that's how it was, and slowly it change to what we know now, pop a disc/cart and be done with it.

again, I do agree with you, but this is not a thread for end users because we are posting about alpha version built nightly, at least not until a release candidate or final version gets released.

the part you're talking about the tutorial and options on RetroArch show you never set foot on the RetroArch's wiki (end of the OP) which contains all that and more.
Making content that would reduce noob question ? I guess we covered that in the OP, I'm sure there a couple of point we can adress there, and do so formating but as far as info goes, it's pretty much how we envisionned it for now, I suppose.

I second this. A FAQ would be really useful for beginners, and even people who are a little out of the loop with homebrew and the basics of emulation. Like me for instance; I've been implementing homebrew on many consoles for over 10 years now, and even I had to ask about how to get the MAME core to run.

With that said, the frequency of Retroarch nightlies would make a FAQ difficult to keep up to date, that is unless the FAQ sticks to the bear minimums required to install and run nightly build. Most of this information is already available but spans multiple pages and locations, which is a pain even for people who know to search forums first before asking questions.

Furthermore, I think another reason it is difficult to maintain focus in a thread like this is simply because the nightly builds are available to everyone, which I think is a good move. What I mean by this is that because beginners have access to this homebrew, they are going to ask questions about it, which I think is a small price to pay for having these nightlies available. So again, I think a FAQ would help with this.

You must be joking, right ? this place is full of tutorial on homebrew ! you want a tutorial in the 1st post explaining how to get 2.5 hax up and running on your 3DS when there's like 7 different entrypoints (CN, OOT3D, BrowserHax, Youtube, SSM demo, Ironhax, Themehax) and 3DS, 2DS, New3DS, regions, and I'm not even covering .3DS rom and CIA : with that logic I'm going to clutter that thread even more with downgrade stuff, msef, theme hax, how to install and use different custom fw ?!

the answers are there, am I supposed to post the whole libretro wiki that's linked at the bottom of the 1st post too ?

It really baffles me that you don't understand this is WAY OUT OF THE SCOPE of this topic.

Definitely a bug: Don't know if it's known, but when you set your input binds to N/A (port #1) you can't control anything because the 3DS no longer works, even in the menu. Any way this could be changed to only effect controls in game?
How it that a bug ? you unbound the only input you had to retroarch.

I know the controllers can be switched in CATSFC for instance, not sure about that in the emu you're trying to use.

also please try your rom on PC before reporting, Punisher has always been like this. and so has been every 4 player Konami games from that time, and I don't think you need an arcade science bachelors degree to know that, just try on PC. but if google or trying something yourself means "having a bachelors degree in something" then yes.

Last edited by Azel,

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
@drakorex The FAQ is on the front post, it is linked from the libretro wiki.
@Kubba The FAQ on the wiki is good enough, and i suggest you read up on arcade emulation or what you are struggling with because this is not a thread for those questions or explanations, this is for 3ds homebrew and the retroarch multi emulation program that was ported for the 3ds

Reactions: Azel

Fatalanus

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
So N3DS .cia, last version (1.3.0)
- Genesis+: tearing is still here.
- gpsp and gambatte: The ration is still broken.
- fba full: mslug5 sound is still a full dusty noise.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Reactions: RegularMoron

bpc908

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for whatever reason it says I need to update my payload when I run any of the newest builds. I'm on the O3DS running the .3dsx versions on the latest version of ironhax

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
for whatever reason it says I need to update my payload when I run any of the newest builds. I'm on the O3DS running the .3dsx versions on the latest version of ironhax
The hax 2.5 payloads have been updated a couple of times since it first released... I got that same error message yesterday, downloaded the latest hb starterkit from here, reinstalled the Ironhax 2.5 payload, retroarch worked again ;)

Reactions: cvskid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT