Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I'll be disecting this bit by bit...

I'm a bit confused on the usage of MAME at the moment. I've read in this thread about putting an XML in the .3dsx folder, but I want to confirm a few things before I do that first.

Yes, that is correct, but it has to be named the same as the .3dsx. Not what you're proposing/asking for, but was just clarifying in case...

I'm running themehax 2.5 on an N3DS 9.9.0.26U, and when I load retroarch .3dsx MAME I get junk on the screen and no retroarch menu. I've also read something about launching through youtube, Smash, or something like that, but I'm unsure what that means.

Basically to simplify the process, the XML file points to an existing app that is installed on the system (In this case, let's say YouTube). What the program does at boot is that if it finds the app specified first in the XML (It goes by AppID), it piggybacks off of it, using it for memory since the programs are so huge, and launches it (sort of) from the app.
I asked this before to someone else, but if you have YouTube, do you have it updated to the latest version? It only works when updated.
Other applicable games are Sm4sh, and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate (Demo or Cart/Downloaded full game).

On an another note, I've been running pcsx-rearmed with scph1001.bin and getting about 10-13 fps on Spyro. Would I get different speeds with different BIOS dumps?

Not really. You CAN run PAL versions instead since they would run at 50fps instead of 60fps, but even then more problems would arise from there. Simply changing the bios wouldn't help at all. PCSX isn't fast at all at the moment, especially on an over 9.2 O3DS. Even on N3DS it's... meh.

Additionally, are there any tweaks or changes I should be taking advantage of to squeeze more out of the N3DS for homebrew?

Not much more can be done, but I CAN recommend some settings that I use often on N3DS.
I set my sound resampler (Settings -> Audio) to "Nearest", which basically means it doesn't do much sound processing.
I keep Software Driven Sound, or CSND as the main audio driver (Settings -> Driver), since DSP is currently Experiencing Bugged sound mechanics. (If you get the joke, you get a cookie)
Also, for best display, I would recommend (In Settings -> Video) keeping the Aspect Ratio at "X:X (PAR 1:1)" and integer scale disabled (I believe, or enabled). Basically it renders the image as it should without blowing up the image or messing with the aspect ratio.

Thanks for indulging me. I haven't done homebrew since Wii.

No problems!

I also can't get Picodrive to look nice on the 3DS screen (I think it forces overscan or underscan so it screws up the 1:1 and doesn't look as nice as Genesis Plus GX).

Do you have Aspect Ratio set to PAR 1:1 and Integer Scale On/Off?
I also do recommend keeping Overscan on. Helps for NES.

Reactions: Azel

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Been out of the loop for a while - and after checking the OP I couldn't help but notice FCEUMM is marked as fullspeed on O3DS. Is it really, or just close?
Because if it is, then I really don't see a reason to use QuickNES anymore.
I also noticed Picodrive isn't mentioned under the O3DS list, does that mean it's not available, or is it just not worth using?

heyguysitsme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like I'll be disecting this bit by bit...

Do you have Aspect Ratio set to PAR 1:1 and Integer Scale On/Off?
I also do recommend keeping Overscan on. Helps for NES.

Yup! The same rom on GPDX vs. Picodrive with the same exact settings looks totally different. I think Picodrive might be automatically stretching or cropping in spite of its settings?

The only place it really matters is for Sega CD games, every Genesis game I've thrown at GPDX runs at full speed with no drops.

darklinkpower

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
how is fmsx working for everyone? I have the correct bios but almost all games don't get past the blue screen. I just wanted to play Metal Gear 1 and 2 at least (And Snatcher, but I don't think it will run ever)

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ran some Pcsx tests with 3D-environment-games :

- Rayman 2 : about 25-30 FPS
- Metal Gear Solid : 30-40 FPS

Guess I'll stick with 2D games from now on.

Azel

Trophies
XP
Country
France
how is fmsx working for everyone? I have the correct bios but almost all games don't get past the blue screen. I just wanted to play Metal Gear 1 and 2 at least (And Snatcher, but I don't think it will run ever)
haven't messed with msx stuff, I think I read that you have to set 256Kb of ram or something..core menu ? please try, I'll update the OP if that was it :)

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Quick Menu (In Game) -> Core Settings -> Set Machine to MSX2 or MSX2+.
I also recommend just grabbing the bios files from fMSX (PC version) itself (Basically .ROM files) and put them in retroarch/system/cores.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can someone tell me what are the best settings for a SNES emulator through RetroArch?
I have a N3DS and I want to have the SNES configured the best way possible so that the biggest offenders like Yoshi's Island and Star Fox can run decently without that much lag.

SeongGino

The Average One
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Anyone how to change the sound rate? It seems to be locked at 33075Hz. I want to change it to 44100Hz for SNES and 22050Hz for Genesis.

Nope.

Can someone tell me what are the best settings for a SNES emulator through RetroArch?
I have a N3DS and I want to have the SNES configured the best way possible so that the biggest offenders like Yoshi's Island and Star Fox can run decently without that much lag.

I refer you to the last post I made on the subject. But you cannot make any major speedhacks...

andremario81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cant get them to run. However, use MAME 0.139 sfiii.zip and sfiiin.zip and you get SFIII working around 30FPS->50FPS

Depends on which Game you are running. Most run pretty good. But for game like Hydro Thunder, it will go to 19FPS, then at one point will crash the Video but sound will keep running
Is that for users on 10.2 firmware using 3dsx files? Or cia? And what games do u suggest? I got sotn so far.

Last edited by andremario81,

kenseiden

i am overflow
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is wrong - It's in the OP what they should be called and where they go:

The funny thing is, the filenames I used still worked fine for Picodrive; I booted up Final Fight CD PAL version, Fatal Fury Special (U), and Snatcher (U). Other Genesis emulators on other platforms (PC and Android, for example) also used the same filenames, which is why I had them named as such.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Anyone know how to change the sound rate? It seems to be locked at 33075Hz. I want to change it to 44100Hz for SNES and 22050Hz for Genesis. Just want those accurate sound emulation

There is nothing accurate about these samplerates, original SNES DSP output was ~32kHz and Genesis FM sound something unusual like 52kHz or so from what I've read somewhere else. The Wii version of GPGX had a low-pass filter option like in Kega Fusion on PC to make the sound more close to original but it does not seem this exists in retroarch version.

The funny thing is, the filenames I used still worked fine for Picodrive; I booted up Final Fight CD PAL version, Fatal Fury Special (U), and Snatcher (U). Other Genesis emulators on other platforms (PC and Android, for example) also used the same filenames, which is why I had them named as such.
Not surprising considering GPGX and Picodrive both require different filenames for Sega CD BIOS. The ones quoted in OP are for GPGX only, Picodrive expect different names and I needed to rename them like you did to play CD games with it (still a little bit too slow on o3DS for many games though).

Last edited by Jacobeian,
Reactions: kenseiden

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson