Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

SaffronXL

The Grand Galactic Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Someone there recommended replacing the retroarch folder with the one in the latest 1.4.0 build (https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.4.0/nintendo/3ds/) and it made things work again.

As for the collections, I had it scan the parent directory of my roms (I keep them in sdmc:/retroarch/roms/ and then subfolders per console). Took bloody forever but it's all sorted.
Thank you, I had already deleted and replaced the retroarch folder with the new one in the 1.4 zip, but my ROMs folder isn't in the retroarch folder, I'll try moving it and giving that a try again.

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
So with 1.4.0, I was able to get it working just fine with the individual cias (SNES9X 2002, Gambatte, Nestopia, gpSP) by replacing the retroarch folder as has been stated before. gpSP kept failing to load content until I remembered to put the gba_bios.bin file back where it belongs, and now that one is working dandy. I was even able to get it to scan my roms and create collections.

However, I am still unable to get the standalone Retroarch cia working without an "SD Card has been removed" error. Oddly enough I can change cores in any loaded cia, which just reloads the frontend, so I guess that functionality is there?

I'm on a new3DS if that makes any difference.
Did you delete the old folder and replace it or did you just overwrite, I can't get collection to scan from any of the .cias

SaffronXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I deleted the subfolders inside the main retroarch folder (except for my roms folder) and then drag-dropped the new subfolders in.
Thanks for the help guys, I moved my roms folder into the retroarch folder and it seems to be scanning fine now. It used to work fine with the roms folder in any location, but I guess there's been a regression in the last month or so.

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
Thanks for the help guys, I moved my roms folder into the retroarch folder and it seems to be scanning fine now. It used to work fine with the roms folder in any location, but I guess there's been a regression in the last month or so.
Does the scanning show some kind of indication or does it just look like its frozen while scanning

SaffronXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the scanning show some kind of indication or does it just look like its frozen while scanning
It looks like this, a new "write to playlist" entry gets written on the bottom of the screen every few seconds, and the very hard to read yellow line increments a counter each time and writes what ROM its scanning. Also frames number will periodically increase.

Attachments

• IMG_20170115_212814.jpg
    IMG_20170115_212814.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by SaffronXL,

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
Retroarch 1.4's Gambatte, the only core I have installed right now. I honestly expected it to crash. And yes, it's the official CIA from RA's build servers.
Crashes when I do directory scan, ive already deleted the retroarch folder and readded it, delete the cfg and now it just freezes when I click directory scan.

Last edited by Stack3r,

SaffronXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My folder structure is like retroarch/roms/Game Boy and I uninstalled all the old retroarch apps and deletes the whole retroarch folder before copying in the new retroarch folder and installing the new CIAs, I did absolutely nothing else. Good luck.

LewieP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm currently trying to use the latest stable FBA CPS2, cia version on latest Luma firmware on a N3DS, playing Marvel Super Heroes (Euro 951024). It crashed immediately after selecting load content, saying "an error has occurred".

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Stack3r

Shizuo Heiwajima
OP
Trophies
XP
Alright guys, so as of now the "stable" 1.4.0 is not suggested to be used due to the many problems users are experiencing, I recommend using the 1.3.6 stable build until this is sorted out. The OP stable link has been changed back to 1.3.6.
@LibretroRetroArc

Last edited by Stack3r,

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.4 was the big update that we were waiting for, right? I'll wait off on updating for a bit, the version's I've got running right now haven't given me any issues (except for a touch of screen tearing on the GBA emulator). Is the PlayStation emulator supposed to work any better on the newest version? That's the one that I've been waiting for the most. I just need a touch more speed to get Grandia working right. (I can frame-skip to get the gameplay working great, but then all of the message boxes stop updating correctly) If it's got a performance boost, even a minor one, then I'm going to have a hard time waiting for 1.4 to get fixed.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess just a PSA for anyone interested. Going by their twitter account the retroarch team is branding 1.4.0 as an open beta so there might still be some hope of stability with the incoming 1.5.0 release. However, given aliaspider isn't a consistent contributor I say if you find a set of builds that work for you just stick to them. The team has a lot of platforms to maintain and sadly neither 3DS or Wii U seem to be the priority. I guess on another note since they're going to be taking feedback now is the time to file bug reports on the current status of the builds.

Reactions: Stack3r

SaffronXL

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright guys, so as of now the "stable" 1.4.0 is not suggested to be used due to the many problems users are experiencing, I recommend using the 1.3.6 stable build until this is sorted out. The OP stable link has been changed back to 1.3.6.
@LibretroRetroArc
I agree, even after indexing all my ROMs it still crashes when loading any ROM. Absolute crap "release".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.