Homebrew Retroarch Emulation Thread (Nightly Builds Included)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
If there is really somebody try to improve it ,but for retroarch, this won't happen
ah that is a shame. i'm happy we have a good speed gba emulator (mgba) and i read gambatte runs very well, i'll be happy :)
i would be surprised if we had a full speed psx emulator! (also happy though)

pdapanda

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
ah that is a shame. i'm happy we have a good speed gba emulator (mgba) and i read gambatte runs very well, i'll be happy :)
i would be surprised if we had a full speed psx emulator! (also happy though)

I should say ,if you can run cia builds on N3DS,no one would care about mgba at all, it‘s far slower than gpsp core,gpsp is nearly perfect.

Last edited by pdapanda,
Reactions: cearp

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
With 17/01/2016 nightly .cia builds, I was able to get 40-60FPS on Final Fantasy VII on PCSX. Audio sync was disabled while VSync was left enabled to prevent emulation from exceeding 60FPS in certain scenes.

Specs:
N3DSXL (9.2 sysNAND/10.3 emuNAND)
ReiNAND 3.0

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the Stable build, I think it's safe to say that it won't get much better, RetroArch wise. Which is fine, RetroArch wasn't really meant to optimize emulators for new platforms but rather make something easily portable and unified.

For those too lazy on o3DS to figure out which emulators are usable, here's what I use:
RetroArch's gpSP for GBA (not perfect but some games run fullspeed)
RetroArch's PicoDrive for Genesis/MD
GameYob for GB/GBC (audio isn't perfect but everything runs fullspeed)
blargSnes for SNES (not all games run on it, but the ones that run run well)

As for NES and most of your other 8bit stuff, I haven't really messed with them but I imagine it can't be hard to find ones that run well.

Honestly, this turned out better than I thought in such a short amount of time. I know it's not done, but thank you so much so far for your work aliaspider and the folks at Libretro.

Last edited by TecXero,
Reactions: MattKimura

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I somehow convert GPSP saves to MGBA? Doesn't read the .sav files that GPSP made. I want to try Superstar Saga in MGBA, as it crashes quite often in GPSP.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Am I the only one that cares about the Virtual Boy core? ToT
That thing is like jelly to bread for a 3D console.

I am getting 24 fps with mednafen VB with a N3DS.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only one that cares about the Virtual Boy core? ToT
That thing is like jelly to bread for a 3D console.

I am getting 24 fps with mednafen VB with a N3DS.
I can appreciate the novelty, but otherwise, no. :rofl2:
[edit] but seeing that saves are just called the same as the Rom Name and are not core specific, wouldn't that just overwrite my old save?
If that were the case, it'd be loading your savefile already. Some cores will name savefiles differently.

Last edited by TecXero,

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
Wait, so there's a stable build now?

Ok, time to test! I hope that PocketSNES got some improvement on o3DS. It was near full speed on .cia the last build i tested.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
For those too lazy on o3DS to figure out which emulators are usable, here's what I use:
RetroArch's gpSP for GBA (not perfect but some games run fullspeed)
RetroArch's PicoDrive for Genesis/MD
GameYob for GB/GBC (audio isn't perfect but everything runs fullspeed)
blargSnes for SNES (not all games run on it, but the ones that run run well)

As for NES and most of your other 8bit stuff, I haven't really messed with them but I imagine it can't be hard to find ones that run well.
QuickNES for NES games, Genesis Plus GX for Master System, Picodrive for GameGear games, fMSX for MSX games. Gambatte is also basically full speed for GB/C games and more accurate than GameYob.

Last edited by sj33,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Why Picodrive over Genesis Plus GX?
Picodrive I would suggest for those that want 32x emulation, but so far Genssis Plus GX hasn't given me any issues at all in my N3DS.
I have a shit ton of Sonic hacks and they all run wonderfully.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why Picodrive over Genesis Plus GX?
Picodrive I would suggest for those that want 32x emulation, but so far Genssis Plus GX hasn't given me any issues at all in my N3DS.
I have a shit ton of Sonic hacks and they all run wonderfully.
That specific post was refering to the O3DS, which I believe Picodrive is the only one that actually runs full speed for MegaDrive games.

On the N3DS, it doesn't really matter which you use because they're both full speed. Genesis Plus GX is technically more accurate, though Picodrive is faster due to being designed specifically for ARM processors and featuring dynamic recompilers for SVP and 32X.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
That specific post was refering to the O3DS, which I believe Picodrive is the only one that actually runs full speed for MegaDrive games.

On the N3DS, it doesn't really matter which you use because they're both full speed. Genesis Plus GX is technically more accurate, though Picodrive is faster due to being designed specifically for ARM processors and featuring dynamic recompilers for SVP and 32X.
Ah I see.
I didn't know you were talking about O3DS. :P
My bad! :D

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, how would I go about uninstalling the current .cia builds I have on my New 3DS XL? Can I just go into Data Management and delete the .cias that way or is there another way to go about deleting them?

Just asking because in case I want to delete the current .cia builds I have to update to new ones.

Also, glad to see 32x emulation working properly! Knuckles Chaotix runs beautifully save for the 3D special stages, but that's not too bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Party DJ :P