Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm... got the week off work so had a bit of spare time to tinker but still can't fathom this one out: Quicknes?
We've already got 2 different (and both very decent!) nes emus in RA already, so why a third? Does this support mappers the others don't (I've yet to try an example - not wasting ALL my week off on it hehe), or is it that bit more accurate perhaps? ...Anyone got a favourite they use?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmmm... got the week off work so had a bit of spare time to tinker but still can't fathom this one out: Quicknes?
We've already got 2 different (and both very decent!) nes emus in RA already, so why a third? Does this support mappers the others don't (I've yet to try an example - not wasting ALL my week off on it hehe), or is it that bit more accurate perhaps? ...Anyone got a favourite they use?
It beats nestopia in terms of responsiveness...

Anyway,
Did anyone bother to compile retroarch Wii 0.9.9.3, yet?
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/master/dist-scripts/retroarch-wii-readme.txt

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/blob/fdd70d0ff9e6f29c78524a0285dfaac65a14f175/Makefile.wii

Would be great if someone could compile a beta for "us"...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So seriously which is the best NES core for RA?

Nestopia, it doesn't have the issues that plague FceuGX. It's considered to be one of the most accurate out there while maintaining full speed without frame skip, which is impressive on the Wii :P

Nestopia doesn't have the sound/video skipping issues and the games that have mapper issues actually save. Some games like Akumajou Densetsu don't allow saves but in Nestopia Undead, you can.

Reactions: Deleted User

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nestopia, it doesn't have the issues that plague FceuGX. It's considered to be one of the most accurate out there while maintaining full speed without frame skip, which is impressive on the Wii :P

Nestopia doesn't have the sound/video skipping issues and the games that have mapper issues actually save. Some games like Akumajou Densetsu don't allow saves but in Nestopia Undead, you can.
Try playing megaman2 on both, nestopia lags as hell.
Start with airman stage and try not to throw your Wiimote against the wall when megaman start to walk wihout you pressing buttons..lol
But seriously nestopia is less responsive compared to FCEU and Quicknes.
Retroarch is cool because you can test side by side.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try playing megaman2 on both, nestopia lags as hell.
Start with airman stage and try not to throw your Wiimote against the wall when megaman start to walk wihout you pressing buttons..lol
But seriously nestopia is less responsive compared to FCEU and Quicknes.
Retroarch is cool because you can test side by side.

Never did ABX testing like that...intriguing. I only us it because it doesn't have the tinny audio issue, save states work with games that don't save properly on the other emulator, etc. But that's just me :P

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Never did ABX testing like that...intriguing. I only us it because it doesn't have the tinny audio issue, save states work with games that don't save properly on the other emulator, etc. But that's just me :P

To me the sound coming fron nestopia sound a lot more tinny compared to fceugx. BUT Nestopia sound a lot more authentic compared to my REAL NES.
Also FDS support is very welcome.
Concerning my previous post about laggy inputs in Nestopia: It was because my vsync was off.
I turned it on and the input lag dissapeared.
It seems I now have a different mindset in regards to what is probably the best NES emu in RA........
I also think it's Nestopia!

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To me the sound coming fron nestopia sound a lot more tinny compared to fceugx. BUT Nestopia sound a lot more authentic compared to my REAL NES.
Also FDS support is very welcome.
Concerning my previous post about laggy inputs in Nestopia: It was because my vsync was off.
I turned it on and the input lag dissapeared.
It seems I now have a different mindset in regards to what is probably the best NES emu in RA........
I also think it's Nestopia!

The tinny sound was actually due to the Hermite sampler they used and changed it to 8-Tap filtering (or whatever they call it ROFL). My ears are extremely sensitive to those things :P This also fixes the tinny sound on Snes9x Next. The fact they achieve full speed without frame skip is amazing. I love Nestopia.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The tinny sound was actually due to the Hermite sampler they used and changed it to 8-Tap filtering (or whatever they call it ROFL). My ears are extremely sensitive to those things :P This also fixes the tinny sound on Snes9x Next. The fact they achieve full speed without frame skip is amazing. I love Nestopia.

I just noticed the blaarg ( ? ) filter option in nestopia does not work....
Ah, wel it's not important to be honest, ( but would be nice to have)

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Yes. I'm over fceuGX!
Thank you for getting me over to the bright side of the "force"!

aphexGIBA

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just in case I'm not the last person on the planet to finally get Neo Geo games working in RetroArch this is a heads up. My original Neogeo bios zip had 23 files in it, downloaded another with 25 files and then another with 27 files and still my neogeo games wouldn't work even though the last one was apparently the correct size at 1.4 mb. Downloaded another bios which had 28 files in it and finally I was able to appreciate how good this emulator is as up to this point the only game I had got working was 3wonders !.
If you have any of the 5 following files missing from your Neogeo bios it's unlikely to work in Retroarch : Japan-j3.bin, neodebug.bin, neo-epo.bin, neopen.sp1, neo-po.bin. I haven't posted the link as it's probably against the rules but if you search for " Metal Slug on Retroarch Wii" on Youtube that should give you what you need.

Thank you! I tried several bios, then I found your message! I was looking in my bios and saw that they had little more than 8 files. I downloaded the bios you mentioned and now Neo Geo runs perfectly!

Recnal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you! I tried several bios, then I found your message! I was looking in my bios and saw that they had little more than 8 files. I downloaded the bios you mentioned and now Neo Geo runs perfectly!

No problem. It's been a while since I posted that message so at least I know it's been a help to at least one person !.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here a BUG for the Devs:

When Wiimotes äuto-off after pausing games in Nestopia, wiimoter are'nt initialized after activating the Wiimotes again.
This results in having to reboot retroarch on the console itself.

This sucks, forcing to start a NES game all over after getting beer from the fridge.

EDIT:
Seems to be all over the place,
Re-anabling the Wiimote ( waiting for them to turn off etc..) a few time fixes connection.
Still annoying

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They really need to fix the controls for every emu.
Just died 5 times due to Megaman "walking by himself"....
I know they blame it on Libogc but none of the other emulator ( without RA as a shell ) suffer from that control problem.
Don;t get me wrong RA is still my EMU of choice but this can ruin the experience severely, even if all emu strife to work without frameskipping...

jmckutchin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They really need to fix the controls for every emu.
Just died 5 times due to Megaman "walking by himself"....
I know they blame it on Libogc but none of the other emulator ( without RA as a shell ) suffer from that control problem.
Don;t get me wrong RA is still my EMU of choice but this can ruin the experience severely, even if all emu strife to work without frameskipping...

Agreed. I used SNES9X GX for years and never had any problems with controls or button hangs (I had problems with everything else, but that's another story). It's either a problem with Retroarch or a problem with Libogc that every other homebrew emulator has overcome. Either way, I wish they'd look into/fix it, but given that the Wii seems to have moved to 2nd tier support, it seems unlikely.

Reactions: Hielkenator

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Agreed. I used SNES9X GX for years and never had any problems with controls or button hangs (I had problems with everything else, but that's another story). It's either a problem with Retroarch or a problem with Libogc that every other homebrew emulator has overcome. Either way, I wish they'd look into/fix it, but given that the Wii seems to have moved to 2nd tier support, it seems unlikely.
As a side note:
I still cannot believe the amount of input lag on the emulators SNES and NES compared to the Virtual Console versions.
In my book they are a lot more playable in terms of controls.
Also the coloring and sound is better, shame nintende did'nt include a bilinear filter....
Mind that I am playing the NTSC-U versions.

EDIT: Input lag seems to be getting worse after a amount of time in retroarch.
Sometimes the screen can jitter after some time also.
Restarting RA fixes it, but it's a bug nevertheless.

Apart from the "wrong" palet NES emulation from Wiimednafen seems to be spot on when it comes to input responsiveness. It's really a shame since RA also houses a lot of Fighting games.
With this amount of input lag it spoils the fun IMO.

Standalone FCEultra is also alot more responsive than it;s iteration in RA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)