"Retro-futurist western" indie FPS 'ExeKiller' announced

exekiller.JPG

There's no drought of cyberpunk-themed games these days with new titles like The Ascent and Foreclosed but when a new one is announced that brings a twist to the setting, it could be interesting to keep an eye on. Poland-based Paradark Studio announced such a game today called Exekiller which blends retro-futurism and western vibes with FPS gameplay. "We are fans of westerns, postapo but also dark sci fi, cyberpunk and retro futurism- from mixing these genres Exekiller was born," Amadeusz Wróbel, CEO of Paradark Studio, said in a press release.

To accompany the announcement, a reveal trailer was released today as well as a synopsis of the game:

Experience dystopian alternate reality where the apocalypse has already happened. 20 years ago the Great Fire Disaster set most of the world on fire causing mass extinction and destruction of life and earth. Only 30% of mankind has survived, only a few spots on earth are possible to live. As the governments failed, corporations took control. The world is plunging into chaos and anarchy. Welcome to New York in 1998.

You are an Exekiller, a futuristic bounty hunter. Your main goal is collecting S.O.U.L.S - biochip component which gathers information about its owner and also controls him. Chips are produced by one of the biggest corporations that rule the New Earth. Without S.O.U.L you simply don't exist.

Hunt down outlaws in the game’s vibrant world, kill them, bring them to justice or set them free, the choice is yours. But choose carefully, as the actions and choices you make will determine how this player-driven story unfolds.

Augment your skills, use a variety of gadgets, sneak past your enemies, use the environment as your advantage or talk your way out of trouble situations. Travel across diverse regions inside your trusty vehicle. Experience fascinating journey through post-apocalyptic landscapes, survive in The Wasteland, fight against roving gangs of bandits, harsh weather conditions like radioactive sun storms and many more.

Exekiller has been announced for a release on Steam but its availability on other platforms or even a release window have yet to be communicated.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Every retrofuturistic ciberpunk bounty hunting trope mixed together.

Didn't feel a bit interested by viewing the trailer, honestly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could see it doing something, and yeah a bit trope heavy, also turns out Deus Ex's gold filter had about 10 more turns of the knob as well so I guess I owe the devs of such a thing an apology for my comments at the time) but at the same time cowboys and indians futurism is not something I have particularly seen in games much (all the anime and live action stuff you want but games... harder to think of examples for -- if you squint then maybe the outer worlds, and maybe you could say borderlands takes a dash of inspiration, and I guess there is wild arms but that franchise has been left to rot for a while now).
However many far bigger companies have taken a swing at this sort of game and missed* so I am going to have to wait and see what goes.

*while they appear to have taken pains not to say open world which I am going to take to mean either missions or hub world.

At the same time one of the few Star Wars games that pops into my head when people mention it is star wars bounty hunter on the gamecube.

dmace81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love post apocalyptic movies. Not much into the games except maybe maybe contra 3. Rather have it be a cheap b movie with some good acting.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1