Hacking ret-6 partition not found

mickthestud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
okay i formatted my new ext harddrive through windows i plug it into the wii fire up usbloader it locates the drive no worries then i click format to wbfs and it just gives me that error ret-6 partition not found any ideas i also tried formatting it to wsbf with wsbf manager but that doesnt work either i click the drive and click format and it does nothing...i am at a loss how to get this thing to work...

jovanah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On USB Loader 1.4 and 1.50 i get the ret-6 error when it can't detect my drive, i know its normally ret-1, but instead it will say can't find a partition and then when it goes to format it, it brings up the ret-6 error.

I know i got CIOS installed because I'm able to use the USB Loader and the USB hdd get detected (but only after i've booted Geexbox first)

mariomaniac33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're receiving -6, your device is probably not compatable. I received this error myself, and I don't think it has anything to do with cIOS as I can use other devices such as SD cards and USB Jumpdrives with no problem. However, if I plug in my external hard drive and try to use it, I receive return -6.

I think we might have not choice but to wait for Waninkoko (or someone else) to update the USB Loader to have better compatability with hardware.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Actually I've heard this problem come up a lot since cIOS36 v10 and USB Loader v1.4. USB drives that used to work under cIOSv9 and USBLv1.3 no longer work in USBLv1.4 or SDUSBLv1.5. I tried it on a friend's Wii (newly hacked, so everything has definitely been done right, running Preloader 0.29) with cIOSv10 and SDUSBLv1.5 ... no WBFS partition found (originally formatted with the twiinews manager)... tried to format, ret -6. Minutes before that, I tried the same drive in my Wii and it worked just fine.

Since I've seen a lot of people have this error, I've not yet tried anything higher than cIOSv9 and USBLv1.1 on my Wii. That's probably why everything on it works. I really wonder what Wanin did to v1.4 and above to break compatibility with so many extHDDs...

mariomaniac33

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I ran some tests after hearing some rumors that a corrupted cIOS rev 10 was released. I reinstalled the latest one completely by uninstalling and reinstalling the cIOS. However, the support is still the same. Numerous reports confirm that rev -6 deals with compatability, hence why we can use different devices and only some will work. Hardware compatability sucks in the USB Loader (like it does with all Waninkoko apps), hence why a compatability wiki chart was started here at GBATemp.

If Waninkoko (or someone else) merely updates the compatability within the source code, this code be resolved. However, the code may need to be rewritten to be integrated properly (hence why we might not be able to rip the files out of the MPlayer source code and plug them into the USB Loader souce code and hope that it will work okay). This is probably why the compatability is still low. As a result, I wouldn't expect this issue to be fixed quickly, but if it is, great!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Originality, that's a good point. I just gave rev 9 a shot and it gives ret -1 instead of -6 in USB Loader 1.5. This error is probably returned due to the fact that my drive is not formated properly, hence the partition cannot be loaded. But then again, 1.5 has the ability to format the drives within the app (I don't remember if 1.1 did). However, with rev 9 installed, the app unable to even scan for a WBFS Partition, since it error out too quickly. However, my compatable jumpdrives still work with rev 9 in 1.5. I'll test more later.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
1.5, according to the readme, requires rev10. I've not tried it otherwise, mostly because rev10 seems not seem to affect 1.1 in any way whatsoever. Also, formatting to WBFS was available in 1.0 as one of the most basic functions.

I've tested out 3 ext drives so far, and only the WD Elements 500GB works on 1.5 with rev10 (which happens to be the borrowed one that I'm supposed to be returning now that I've got my 1TB Maxtor Basics). My Maxtor Basics and my no-name extHDD with a 80GB IDE HDD inside doesn't work on it. Naturally, all 3 work just fine on v1.1 with rev9. Also the Elements and Maxtor both have spindown, but that has never caused me a problem in games (if I jump into the USBL too quickly, the Elements gives me ret-1 from not being fully spun up, but if I just wait 5 seconds, it's fine).

If you want to test out drives more fully (after receiving ret -1), try a few of the many fixes around, such as the one from Big Moe's signature. My solution has always been either to have the device plugged in upon power-up (USB Key/Stick) or just give it a few seconds to spin up (Elements). Everything else works fine usually.

I'll be testing out non-Wanin USB Loaders tomorrow, such as the ones from http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147085 and http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149922 . Hopefully this will resolve the non-compatibility from Wanin's USBL. If not, I'll report back and let it hold as another bug to be ironed out - that devices working under 1.0-1.3 rev9 don't work under 1.4+ rev10.

mickthestud

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
okay thanks for your help guys i had a suspicion that the drive want campatible but i thought it locates the harddrive to begin with it was ok by the way i am using usb loader 1.5 with ios36 rev 10 if i use usb loader 1.1 and downgrade to rev 9 will i hace a chance of getting it to work with the harddrive

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Excuse the double post but I just feel it's worth it (even if only by a minor degree).

I just ran a small battery of tests on my Wii using the Ultimate USB Loader v7.4 (from http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147085 using the forwarder from http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=148345) on 2 of my extHDDs (WD Elements and Maxtor Basics). Both drives have split partitions (1 NTFS, 1 WBFS), and both worked just fine under Wanin's USB Loader v1.1 and cIOS rev9.

Firstly, everything works fine on both extHDDs running the USBL v7.4 under cIOS rev9, although for some reason, it would not download any cover images. Running games works fine, video-patching worked (at least it did for Bust-a-move, patching NTSC to play on my PAL Wii). I didn't try Ocarina because I've yet to find a game worth cheating in.

Secondly, everything worked fine when I switched up to rev10. Cover images downloaded fine and I've now got one for each of my games. No ret -1 or ret -6 errors at all.
EDIT: It might also be worth mentioning that Deadly Creatures and SSX Blur Wii did not work either. I'm not surprised, since they've never been working for me, but apparently that will also be fixed in rev11, so I'll be patient and wait.

I've heard in other threads that ret -6 on drives that worked under USBLv1.1 and cIOS rev9 are due to a bad cIOS rev10, so simply reinstalling it from Wanin's blog will make it work (although people who can't use MediaFire, such as my friend on TalkTalk ISP, will still have to struggle to find a working rev10 mirror or simply wait for rev11). For every other drive getting ret -6, then it's likely that the drive really is not compatible with USBL for now (which'll hopefully be fixed in rev11 - no guarantees).

Now all I need to do is find out how to get the HBC to work with my new Kingston 8GB SDHC card... the Wii will read it, but HBC won't... and again, I've heard in other threads that it's due to HBCv1.01 being compiled with an old version of libogc with a shaky compatibility rating with SDHC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: :creep: +1