Restoring Wii U if need be?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by nbchick, Mar 5, 2015.

1. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    Hey. I apologize if there is a guide for this anywhere, I haven't been able to find one.
    I softmodded my Wii U's Vwii. No issues. It's just I was warned not to do a factory reset (Erase all content and settings) I have no intention of doing this but if I want/need to sell the Wii U, or something is wrong with it, how do I do a restore on it? I have the Nand and key backups from the dump I did during the softmod process. Just is a just in case, for my peace of mind situation. Now I'm freaked out that I can never reset/erease it.
    Every guide I can find is for the Wii. If anybody can point me in the right direction, that would be great, thanks!
    Also, when updates for the Wii U are released, is it safe to perform them?

Thank you!!

2. wiiando

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    Restoring to factory/default is fine, as is updating the Wii U.

I'm not sure on restoring a NAND backup but all I have done is (when sending to Nintendo for repair) delete the channels in vWii, homebrew channel etc and they were none the wiser and I recieved back a repaired Wii U

3. nbchick
    OP

nbchick Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    Canada
    Ok so going into settings delete all content/settings is safe? I'm very worried :-S It's the 'what if' thing.
    What about system transfers? Is that safe? I know it does a system erase doing that as well.

4. wiiando

wiiando GBAtemp Regular

Dec 28, 2008
    United States
    Not sure who has told you any of what you've been told, but, doing a factory reset or system transfer is not going to break anything, it'll remove pretty much everything but doesn't alter any vWii ios's or any of the Wii U side ones either (if any)

5. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    System transfers are fine. I believe that any unofficial Wii channels will stay on the console as opposed to transferring over, not sure if they erase or not though. The reason it's suggested not to do a factory restore is because it deletes the Homebrew Channel, which will make it impossible to fix any issues mod-wise should something go haywire. So it's not that it will screw things up, it's just a security measure

6. Mr. Mysterio

Mr. Mysterio Super Genius

Sep 16, 2014
    United States
    Rosalina's Comet Observatory
    I'm the one who said that a factory reset always causes problems. (Sorry!) I think it was the classic someone told someone told someone... issue that gave me my misinformation. Naturally, I never tried it myself to find out!

TotalInsanity4 likes this.