Hacking Restoring IOS36?

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, let me first give you a brief rundown of how I got to this before I get to my problem:

I'm a complete newbie to softmodding or anything like, been quite happy for 20 years of gaming to go without any modding at all and it was good. However just recently thanks to the infinite wisdom of Capcom, I'm having to install USBloader and run an NTSB copy of my PAL game if I ever want to play with my friends. (Region specific online servers, great idea Capcom!) So with the help of a friend I've been listening to the following two guides:

http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/
http://usbloadergx.koureio.net/help/readmii

I followed them reasonably well I feel, did bannerbomb, got the HBC, did the trucha bug for IOS36, did Waninkoko's cIOS installer, formatted a pendrive in WBFS with my .iso and set the base boot path to bISO223 in the USBloader, all looked good until trying to start a new game gave me a black screen and a low hum. Cue the following conversation:

RazorRamon: now you need to deinstall all the cios stuff you installed with dopmii
RazorRamon: and redo it cause you fucked up somewhere
RazorRamon: only the ios stuff tho
Amplify: couldn't it just be a faulty .iso or something?
RazorRamon: hahahaha yeah right
RazorRamon: i had this error too cause i installed the ios wrong
RazorRamon: i also used an older version of waninkoko cios the second time around
RazorRamon: rev14 or something
RazorRamon: dunno if that fixed it or if i just did things wrong the first time
RazorRamon: anyway here is short summary
RazorRamon: 1. install ios 36 that accepts unsigned code through trucha bug that exploits ios 15
RazorRamon: uh before you start
RazorRamon: i guess you need to deinstall cios 36 and 222 and 223 with dopmii
RazorRamon: 2. install waninkoko cios, if it asks what ios to use during installation and what slot to use, the answer is always 36
RazorRamon: 3. hermes, instructions are somewhere if you scroll up already said those

Following the bolded line, I deinstalled cIOS 36, 222 and 223 with dop-mii.

Then when I tried to reinstall ISO36 with the trucha bug it couldn't do it without me selecting 36 from the IOS list first, which of course isn't there. I can't go back in to reinstall 36, 222 or 223 because it gives me an error and wants me to choose a channel that accepts fake signing. At this point my 'friend' didn't know what to do either and effectively abandoned me up sh*t creek without a paddle.

I'm basically way out of my depth here and don't have ISO36 here any more, is there any way I can get it back at all? I have a PAL region Wii, the ver info claims it's 4.1 though every other sign points to it really being 4.2.

Thanks for any help.

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MrDiesel said:
Download IOS36 from NUSD and pack it as a WAD. Using WAD Manager 1.7, MMM or YAWMM, install it using IOS249 and redo the guide.
Do I need v1042, v3090, v3094, v3351 or latest version? If I were running 4.3 then I would just do the latest version, but I'm unsure and don't want to risk doing something further stupid.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I will recomend (first of all) to stop following guides and friends that do not belong to GBATemp (
tongue.gif
), and then to find the latest guide to install a cIOS wich is right >HERE

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, my most immediate problem is my lack of an ISO249 looking at my list.

ISOs:
4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 28, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 37, 38, 50, 51, 53, 55, 56, 60, 61, 254.

The other thing is that I'm only taking a calculated stab at how I use WAD manager 1.7. What I've done is stick the extracted folder for 1.7 into the apps folder on my SD card and the "0000000100000024v3351" folder created by NUSD into my wads folder on my SD card. I have no idea if this was *right*, because as I've pointed out erlier I'm really just flying by the seat of my pants here. Trying to figure out this stuff as I go along but 99% for the most part I'm as clueless as it is humanly possible to be about this. That being said nothing noticeably new along the lines of a WAD manager 1.7 has appeared on my HBC list, so I can only think I've messed this up somewhere.

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Ow, I thought you had cIOS249 installed
mellow.gif

Because the IOS36 you download with NUSD is Nintendo signed, you should be able to install it using any IOS (correct me if I'm wrong). Try using IOS60 to begin with.

You don't need to copy that folder to your SD card. Within NUSD, you have to select "Pack -> WAD" and start the download again. A file "IOS36-64-v3351.wad" will be created within the folder "0000000100000024v3351". You have to copy that file to the "wad" folder on your SD card.

Btw, you have 4.1 installed, else IOS70 would be installed as this comes with 4.2.

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MrDiesel said:
Ow, I thought you had cIOS249 installed
mellow.gif

Because the IOS36 you download with NUSD is Nintendo signed, you should be able to install it using any IOS (correct me if I'm wrong). Try using IOS60 to begin with.

This looked like it was going to work, but then I got the error message:
"Reading 'ISO38-64-v3867.wad', please wait...
ERROR! (Ret = -1)"
At first I thought I'd created the wrong wad file considering the name, so I remade it and triple checked, the only file in my wads folder is IOS36-64-v3351.wad and I got the same error, so now I'm not sure what I'm screwing up here.

QUOTE(MrDiesel @ Jul 14 2010, 07:23 PM) Btw, you have 4.1 installed, else IOS70 would be installed as this comes with 4.2.
I insisted to my friend that it said "4.1E" for my version, but he said because I had updated my system version with the game "Monster Hunter Tri" that I must be on 4.2. I was skeptical, but only the 4.2 version of bannerbomb would work for me despite trying all the ones for older versions. That combined with the fact he's done all this before for the exact same purpose and (my intended) result means I was forced to accept I must be on 4.2, but in truth I'm unsure either way.

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Amplify said:
This looked like it was going to work, but then I got the error message:
"Reading 'ISO38-64-v3867.wad', please wait...
ERROR! (Ret = -1)"
At first I thought I'd created the wrong wad file considering the name, so I remade it and triple checked, the only file in my wads folder is IOS36-64-v3351.wad and I got the same error, so now I'm not sure what I'm screwing up here.

I'm not sure what the ret = -1 means and can't find anything about it. Maybe try selecting another IOS besides IOS60, it should work with any IOS though.

If that doesn't work, you could try installing IOS36 v3094 as this is the version for 4.1 I think.
You could also try Dop-Mii to install IOS36.

Or you could wait for advise from somebody else who has more knowledge than me
rolleyes.gif

Edit:
With NUSD, I've downloaded IOS37* for testing. Using WAD Manager 1.7 and IOS15 (I like the number 15 xD), it successfully installed the WAD. IOS15 was not trucha bugged. So I really don't know why it isn't working for you.

*I picked IOS37 instead of IOS36, because I didn't want to lose the trucha bug in IOS36

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MrDiesel said:
I'm not sure what the ret = -1 means and can't find anything about it. Maybe try selecting another IOS besides IOS60, it should work with any IOS though.

If that doesn't work, you could try installing IOS36 v3094 as this is the version for 4.1 I think.
Same problem. I will however act upon an idea that just popped into my head: What *EXACTLY* as listed on the home brew channel menu should I be using to try and install this ISO36 wad? I might be doing the wrong thing here.

QUOTE(MrDiesel @ Jul 14 2010, 08:08 PM) You could also try Dop-Mii to install IOS36.
Dop-mii keeps trying to look for ISO36 so that it can use it. If I try and install the trucha bug version it gives me error ret (-4100) and if I try to get back into the menu of isos with what they do and whether or not they are installed it tells me to use an ISO that accepts fake signing. The only one I knew was ISO36 which is now no longer installed and no longer listed, so I went down the list trying all of them and had the same error.

I can't get into ISO36 to install ISO36 because I don't have ISO36 installed, kind of a catch 22
smile.gif

(I must be setting some kind of world record for the slowest soft mod in history here now, I started this Monday morning and all I've achieved since then is rendering myself unable to play Monster Hunter Tri any more since now it wants to perform a system update before it'll let me play again, which now that I have the HBC I'm too afraid to try.)

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
WAD Manager 1.7: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WCGKHQF8

Unzip. It contains a .dol file. Rename it to boot.dol. In the 'apps' folder on your SD card, create a new folder, something like "WADManager17" and put the boot.dol in this folder.

In the Homebrew Channel you will see "\apps\WADManager17\boot.dol". Start this.

WAD Manager will ask you which IOS to use. Select one (I used IOS15 and it worked, but it should work with any) and press A. Select A again for Wii SD slot. Now navigate to the WAD folder and press A at IOS36-64-v3351.wad. Press A again to install.

PS: It's IOS (Input/Output System) and not ISO
wink.gif

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Dop-Mii should be able to start without IOS36 and then you can select what IOS to use in the menu. Choose a IOS you have maybe IOS60 and then go to the IOS menu and install IOS36 v3094 or higher.

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MrDiesel said:
WAD Manager 1.7: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WCGKHQF8

Unzip. It contains a .dol file. Rename it to boot.dol. In the 'apps' folder on your SD card, create a new folder, something like "WADManager17" and put the boot.dol in this folder.

In the Homebrew Channel you will see "\apps\WADManager17\boot.dol". Start this.

WAD Manager will ask you which IOS to use. Select one (I used IOS15 and it worked, but it should work with any) and press A. Select A again for Wii SD slot. Now navigate to the WAD folder and press A at IOS36-64-v3351.wad. Press A again to install.

PS: It's IOS (Input/Output System) and not ISO
wink.gif
I HAVE IOS36!!
*does the happy dance*

That worked perfectly, thanks
smile.gif
already reinstalled the trucha bug version and now it looks like I'm set to start following the guide posted earlier in the thread, many thanks for that
smile.gif

If I have any further questions on what the heck do I do I'll ask them here as they come up, cheers.

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MrDiesel said:
I'm glad it worked
smile.gif

Me too
smile.gif

I now have the game working flawlessly (at first glance) as I'm able to get past where I've been black screening and with no visible glitching at all, mostly because I just tried uloader instead of usbloader_gx which seems to have been the problem.

Now, my ultimate goal is to transfer over my PAL MH3 save to the new NTSC copy so that I'm able to play it with my friends at last since they're pretty much all American.

QUOTEGrab savegame manager and extract the MH3 save, then change the name from 00010000524d4850 to 00010000524d4845, and use savegame manager again to install it back into the Wii.

through the homewbrew channel, you can then run the Savegame manager that you put on your sd card as well

In the manager, you choose extract save to SD and select the game from which you wanna extract. Since it is monster hunter 3 PAL, you'll receive a folder called 00010000-524d4850 on your SD

Now you put the SD back in your computer and rename that folder to 00010000-524d4845 (only last 2 digits change) and put it back in the Wii

running the Savegame manager, you'll choose install savegame from SD card, because the name is now 00010000-524d4845 it will think it's a monster hunter 3 NTSC save and install it as such

Is this fully accurate? Is there anything else I'd have to do after this point but before that point first? Also, where can I get my hands on a savegame manager that you guys would recommend?

Thanks for all the help so far
smile.gif

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, from reading your first post you said you set the game to load from IOS222/223, which is Hermes cIOS. Which also you never said you installed.

You didn't need to uninstall IOS36 but looks like you got it back. Now install Herme's cIOS: http://gwht.wikidot.com/hermes-ios222-223

Also, all you need to do is add their Friend Codes to your roster. At least that's what I've had to do for Mario Kart, Excitebike World Rally and others...?

I could be wrong with Monster Hunter Tri, though.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good this is fixed. For future use, bannerbombing wadmanager from the cboot2 pack will install/update any official wad. Very usefull for those who chose to downgrade/delete ios36, and simple.

Amplify

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BBking83 said:
Okay, from reading your first post you said you set the game to load from IOS222/223, which is Hermes cIOS. Which also you never said you installed.

You didn't need to uninstall IOS36 but looks like you got it back. Now install Herme's cIOS: http://gwht.wikidot.com/hermes-ios222-223

Also, all you need to do is add their Friend Codes to your roster. At least that's what I've had to do for Mario Kart, Excitebike World Rally and others...?

I could be wrong with Monster Hunter Tri, though.
Yeah, I already have Hermes ios222-223. I was actually about to post last night EXACTLY what I'd done and used and installed etc, right up until I was reading the description of ios222-223 on the HBC channel list more carefully and saw the line "for use with uloader" or words to that effect. Tried uloader before hitting submit on the chance that's what the problem was and seems I was just using the wrong usb loader to start with.

Also, for monster hunter tri how it works is they make you connect to the online server, then actually in the game you add a short code to contact your friend(s) or just come into contact with random people without using codes. The problem stems from if you have a PAL copy of the game then it puts you in the European server whether you like it or not, the same goes for America and Japan. If the two of you are on different regional servers then the only way to get together is one of you changes your game version, hence why I'm here right now
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1