Apple Restoring a backup made on 32GB iPod Touch 4G into an 8GB one

AC/DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Let's say I need to restore an 8GB iPod Touch 4G from a backup made on a 32GB iPod Touch 4G - same device just the memory size is different. Well, actually it's a different device but it's still an iPod Touch 4G.
Is that possible?
I know not all apps will fit in, I can select which ones to put into it and which ones to omit, I'm just curious to know if all other backup data can be restored - like game saves and app data. Thanks for any input.

Hypershad12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm 95% sure it will work, because the data is not modified depending on the model. So, as long as you know the limitations on memory that are on the 8GB model, and that you are not planning on putting the ton of apps that were on the previous iPod touch, then you should be fine.

AC/DS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I;ve done it and it worked! Cool. Now I have another problem though. There appears to be lots of "OTHER DATA" on the new 8GB iPod now.
The thing is, the one I restored from was jailbroken so I have no idea what that other data comprises. It might be cracked apps or music, but it does not appear under iTunes.
But it is over 2 gigs so it is very annoying on an 8GB iPod.
Any way to delete this "other data" without jailbreaking this iPod? I do not want to JB it... BTW I've tried browsing iPod through iPhone browser and deleted some folders in the MUSIC folder, but it did not help.
Will probably have to "restore as new iPod" thus losing all save data from the previous iPod?

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First of all, cracked apps and music count as normal data. Also, there is a certain amount of other data which holds the firmware. Expect for that, you might have APIs that were download through [Redacted] and weren't deleted, files that were downloaded, Cydia apps documents, etc.
You'd be better off performing a full restore, but you would lose your saved games too...
You can also jailbreak to get access to the file system and then delete the extra files

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back