Hacking Could it be possible to change the size of a backup from the eMMC?

JackTheFroster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was hacking the switch from a friend and managed to get a 4gb emuMMC working. He then later asked if the storage could be extended to 8gb. i made a backup from the 4gb emuMMC and restored it on the new 8gb partition. Unfortunately when i go to settings and storage, there will be still 4gb internal storage making the other 4gb free space on the partition useless. i was wondering if there is a possibility to either change some values (or whatever needs to be done) on the emuMMC so the internal storage can be extented without having to reinstall all games, or that a backup can be resized so that maybe if a 32gb backup can be made smaller since there is unused space or a 4gb backup can be made bigger for the 8gb partition. Have only found a tutorial which is basically just making a new emuMMC from scratch...

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thank you, gonna look into it with my friend ^^
Make sure you make a backup. It’s a little tricky and you can easily mess up and need to start from scratch because you have to “delete” the partition and then make a new partition on top of it with the larger size but then your system will recognize the additional space.

JackTheFroster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After some time i got to meet with my friend, now the only thing that is hard to get working is the memloader step. since there is no emummc ini and img, i dont know how to make it work. the only thing i tried to make the emummc visible in linux was with hekate in the tools section where you can mount the emummc. but it says that no changes can be saved or something like that.

Edit: seems like memloader at this point is not needed since in hekate, you can turn off "read only" and mount both, emmc and emummc RAW GPP which is recognized by linux and changes can be successfully made.

At this point i am just confused about all the steps. Trying step after step makes at some point sense for me, but it just wont work and i try the next step. i felt dumb for not reading everything through first, but nothing will just expand the user partition to the 8GB (or 5GB). As a reminder, im trying to expand the user partition from an emummc thats installed on a micro sd card, but nothing seems to be working. im trying different steps for now.

Final update: i got it working... Afterall, its just easier if you know which partitions in the rawnand.bin saves the important data. i havent used any save manager and havent checked if all saves are working fine, but i think they should.

Found a thread with resizing your emummc backup with NxNandManager, which isn't quite working with the resizing option (at least for me). Still, using NxNandManager was helpful afterall. you will also need to dump your keys with Lockpick_RCM. Will go through it step for step if anyone else finds this helpful. but keep in mind, this is not a in depth tutorial. before proceeding, ask your questions or go on at your own risk!

1. make a full nand backup with hekate of the sd emuMMC which you want to extend (the GPP rawnand.bin only might be fine, but backing up BOOT0 and BOOT1 is better, just in case). Mine in this case was only 4GB and already full. Keep in mind which format your sd card is. With Fat32 it will split your rawnand, with exFat it will not. i will come back to this after partitioning your sd card.

2. copy all of your sd card contents to a safe place on your pc or whatever you manage to use as backup destination. In my case it was worth 350~GB of sd data so check if you have enough space somewhere. This could take a while depending on how many games are already installed.

3. partition your sd card with hekate. As i said, my partition was 4GB but i wanted to expand to 8GB. Have in mind that your total user storage will be around 3GB less, so adjust your desired size between 4GB and up. So when you adjust it, everything on your sd card will be formatted. be sure to have everything backed up (especially your rawnand.bin and emuMMC folder, if you have something on your sysMMC, the Nintendo folder in the root of your sd card will be important aswell).

4. After your sd card was successfully partitioned, you want to go to the emuMMC option in hekates home menu and create emuMMC. this will for now create an emuMMC with your data of your sysnand, but only the important parts for booting into the firmware and it will use the whole partition (again, for me it was 8GB). Now you have to make sure which format you will be using. i was always on exFat without problems, i like the advantage of copying files bigger than 4GB to my sd card. After creating the partition, your sd card was formatted to Fat32. Either you format it to exFat, or just leave it. But i cannot say if it works well with a split rawnand.bin backup.

5. Now you just want to copy the most important sd card files back. this will be all atmosphere and hekate files. You want to test if you can boot into emuMMC without problems. If you're in the OS, check data management to see if your size is correct. After confirmation, you want to go back to hekate and backup your emuMMC again (which will be 8GB in my case). You can either copy the backup to your pc now or try to leave it there on your sd card (which worked for me).

6. Now open NxNandManager and import your keys that you dumped with Lockpick_RCM (should be in the switch folder of your sd card backup). After that, open your smaller or first backed up rawnand.bin. After various tries, i found out that the important partitions you want to back up are the "SYSTEM" and "USER" ones. but you only want to mount the "USER" partition and back up every folder to your pc. it will also ask you to install a driver before the partition will be mounted, just do that. The "SYSTEM" partition should be saved as a file. In the end you will have the folders from your "USER" partition and a SYSTEM.bin file (you can also save every other partition as a file just in case). the reason why you dont want the "USER" partition as a file is simply the size. i havent tried restoring the user partition as a file, maybe it wont cause trouble, but who knows.

7. Now open your newer rawnand.bin and restore the system partition from the .bin file. this will include all Users and installed titles you had before. after that you want to mount the "USERS" partition (with "read-only" disabled) and copy all the folders in there. This should be all of your save data from your installed games. the copy process on mounted partitions might get interrupted (transfer speed goes to 0mb/s), just check which file was transferred last and delete it. try and try again after everything is copied. I dont know for sure, but somehow by disabling windows defender "real time scan" or something like that, the copy process was way more stable. If you had incognito activated before and already have a backup, you can just click on the "PRODINFO" and activate it again.

8. now you want to restore your newer rawnand.bin with hekate, and after its finished, check again by booting into your emuMMC if all titles are back. if they are, you can now copy all backed up sd card contents back to your sd card and they should all be recognized and playable again.

Last edited by JackTheFroster,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k