Restore games (or getting save files) after changing region

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by greator, Mar 13, 2019.

1. greator
    OP

greator GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2008
    Malaysia
    In your head...
    Guys, I need help.
    I have a Japanese O3DS cfw with Luma, I installed some games in it. Today I decided to change the region to US so I can get English menu. I followed the guide from 3dshack, my 3ds is up and running with English.

But my games is not there, from 12 games now only 3 is in the menu. How to get my games back?
    OK. I can reinstall the games, but what about my save files? How can I get my save files before I reformat the card?

I tried Checkpoint but it only shows the 3 games that survived in the menu. I want to get the save game file from the game that is not on the menu (from before I change region, it is still on the SD card, but I can't launch the game)
    I tried the system setting Data Management, it does shows all my previous games but most of it is greyed out with X icon. And trying to create a backup will come up an error "Data could not be saved".

Can someone help? Maybe by copy the save file directly using a pc? If it can be done, which folder is the save file?
    Thank you.

2. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The backup reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    Not wanting to sound rude... this does not work good with text only.... Friendly advise:

Next time make backups before big changes on your system. Backing up saves is a good idea anyway. SDs do fail for no reason sometimes.
    Reinstalling a CIA overwrites the save. Backup needed before reinstalling.
    Sounds like missing tickets. Try recreating tickets with faketik. If it works the games should show up and work again.
    The encrypted save file of each game is in:
    SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<long ID 0>/<long ID 1>/title/00040000/<gameID>/data/00000001.sav
    In addition there may be extdata in
    SD:/Nintendo 3DS/<long ID 0>/<long ID 1>/extdata/00000000/<someIDs>

Quantumcat likes this.
  3. greator
    OP

greator GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2008
    Malaysia
    In your head...
    Thanks for the save file location.
    Unfortunately directly copying the old save file to a new freshly formatted 3ds doesnt work. The games gives an error "save file is corrupted" and will auto delete that file.

Gone my previous hours of gameplay, looks like i have to start a new game as well.

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    When you region changed the 3DS, did you do Format System Memory?

What guide did you use (provide the link)?

5. greator
    OP

greator GBAtemp Regular

Jun 14, 2008
    Malaysia
    In your head...
    I used the region change guide from 3dshacksguide, the official one.
    Even before formatting, most of my cia games are gone. Tried recovering the save file using all the method above.
    I format using tinyformat but that didn't remove the leftover games (as intended by the software), I want a really clean format (since i already recover the save file) So I did the system setting format.
    Reinstall the games, restore the save file directly to the sd (not using any apps) to the same location. Start the game aaaand "Save file corrupted, deleting corrupted save file" message.

There you go folks, always backup your save file before doing any changes to your 3DS nand.
    Also eshop will not work after region change if you already enter eshop in original region, even whatever 3ds you have