Gaming Resident Evil Revelations is pretty good

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just got this game yesterday (It was released on the 26th in Japan so don't start that "it's not out yet" crap) along with the extra circle pad, and I gotta say, the game delivers pretty well.

There's not too much to say; it's like a cross between old school RE and RE5. Thus far I have not found an enemy fast enough to get to me by the time I kill it (you can just back up as you shoot them anyway with the new controls), and I hope that will change, but the dark, lonely atmosphere is pretty good. Where I was all pumped when I played RE5 I am now in that hesitant "something's gonna jump out at me" kind of paranoia that the older games gave me. And I gotta say, that dank, messy old ship looks pretty good.

I only went through 2 chapters so far, and there was no exploration to be had yet. Sure, I got to go through hallways and rooms and stuff, but my progress was very limited. I only had one path to take (every attempt to branch off always brought me to a locked door), and I didn't much like that, but for now I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because it's so early on in the game. Hopefully I'll find a nice maze-like setting like the originals.

With the extra circle-pad, the controls are just like RE 5, where you walk and strafe with the left pad and turn and aim with the right. The add-on also gives it 2 extra shoulder buttons, so it's essentially like playing on a PS3 or xbox 360. the 3D however, kinda sucks. I played the demo back at the Tokyo Game Show and thought the effects were shit, and they didn't get much better. Basically the screen itself seems to stick out or sink in, but everything on the screen is still 2D. Yeah... But then I found out that you can change the 3D strength in the options. It's set at the lowest by default, but put it to “strongest” and you'll get some passable 3D, but after playing the Mario games, it still doesn't really cut it.

Also, one more thing. The game puts you into first person mode when you fight. I didn't like this, and wanted something more akin to RE4 and 5, so I searched the options and found you can switch to third person mode, which I would recommend.

That's all. I only wrote this to kill time. If you like RE then you're probably already set on buying this, but whatever. Have fun.

Reactions: 1 person

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
lol, the 3D depth NEVER was the same for everybody. some people barely see it, some people can't take the slightest 3D.

i'm not surprised you don't "feel" the intensity, but i myself feel my eyeballs tensing a bit more than i like on Very Strong, so i keep it well below that.

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
When I played the demo from the eShop, It had my nerves going pretty good. Being the first zombie game I've played in a long time, I totally forgot how developers like to scare the shit out of people, I let my guard down and when two Zombies jumped down from a vent suddenly and right in my face, I let out a very manly scream yell. So I'd say it's pretty intense, but this is not my genre.

boombox

Trophies
XP
Country
When I played the demo from the eShop, It had my nerves going pretty good. Being the first zombie game I've played in a long time, I totally forgot how developers like to scare the shit out of people, I let my guard down and when two Zombies jumped down from a vent suddenly and right in my face, I let out a very manly scream yell. So I'd say it's pretty intense, but this is not my genre.
Haha, the one where they fell from above? me too. I've never fully played a Res Evil game, and I found it rather unnerving >_

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Enjoying the game so far, just beat the first proper boss and jeez it was hard, i died first time and 2nd time i got out of the fight with no herbs and me almost dead and my screen black and white, paranoid that im going to get hit by an enemy before i find a herb (the way a resident evil game should be to induce fear)

But after beating 3 chapters i unlocked raid mode and iv just got done playing 3 rounds of raid mode online and if the Campaign doesnt sell you then raid mode WILL, it is SO much fun, I just played a raid mission where you actually have to fight the first boss from the game and its every bit as intence as it was in single player.

This game is easily the best game on the 3DS currently and if you were on the fence about buying a 3DS, i think you do have a very good reason to get one now!

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I liked the 3D in the demo, but turning it above normal in the settings just yielded big ghosting. Maybe just my eyes though.

rehevkor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really like it so far, but I find the flashbacks a bit detrimental to the atmosphere. When I'm getting into the main story I get whisked away to a linear combat oriented flashback I find it rather jarring when I get back.

I am dark link

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Im playing chapter six at the moment and i have found it soo good, i like it more than resi 5 and raid mode is amazing if anyone wants to play raid mode just inbox me your FC and we can play

nikkuchan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That first boss was really hard. I never had so much trouble in an RE game before. I was starting to feel like an idiot after my 10th death.

Each chapter took me about an hour or so, but I was also taking it pretty slow, stopping to search every room and whatnot.

The game is great, and a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Frankly, RE5 had a way of getting on my nerves. Most of the time I was worrying about organizing my ammo and items so I'd get hit while trying to get ammo from my partner because she keeps picking up all the stuff I need.

But this one doesn't do that. Your partner is invincible and still shoots things (though not as useful as Sheva).

One thing about this game that I like as an idea but dislike when it actually happens is the way damage appears. As you get hit, the foreground of the screen get bloods on it and the color starts to fade. The more you get hit the more blood covers the screen, until you're limping, can barely see, and everything's in black and white... and there's a giant 2-headed thing with a buzzsaw arm chasing you...

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to turn this topic into a resident evil discussion but the 2nd boss = Awesome and Creepy as hell
Spoilers about the boss:

When you're on your way to find rachael, when you get near and you hear her voice whisper "found you" i literally yelled out WTF, i was walking so slowly from then on into the room to pick up the key, thinking she was going to pounce on me at anytime.

Then you pick up the key and you see her at the window its more like oh ok, there she is, not that scary but then you have to make your way back to parker (about 8 LONG corridors away), knowing shes in the vents and could pop out anytime with that creepy dramatic music everytime she appears, not to mention the fact she literally runs AT you, giving you a choice of either trying to shoot her to stumble or to get the F out of there.

But knowing she could appear at any time makes you so paranoid its awesome, reminds me of the nemesis encounters from RE3, plus her little "Found you" followed by the dramatic "im going to kill you music" is proberbly the most fear inducing moment iv come across in this game so far.... I love it!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...