Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
To start: Someone let me know if this was already posted somewhere. I searched for a good 10 or 15 minutes all over the search function and areas I thought it might be, and I found absolutely nothing. Either it is deeply buried somewhere that I can't find, or it was missed (which I don't understand
tongue.gif
).

If you need any more evidence to suggest that Capcom has its eyes firmly focused on appealing to Western gamers, Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is it. Developed by the Canadian outfit Slant Six Games (most famous for their work on the SOCOM series) this latest entry in the esteemed survival horror franchise is the first to be developed outside of Japan. And, if early looks are anything to go by, Raccoon City looks set to deliver more shooting less surviving and more action less horror.

Raccoon City is set during the events of Res Evil 2 but doesn’t seem to bare much in common with the series elsewhere. This is a team based shooter, playable by up to four players who take on the roles of an Umbrella Security Services squad. Your goal is to eliminate the police presence from Raccoon City which, if you remember your history, is being overrun by zombies. And, yes, Leon Kennedy is a part of that police force. Can you kill Leon? Perhaps. If you can, then what more of a statement needs to be made about the change in direction for the series?[/p]

Trailer
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stu5btuLN7Q[/youtube]

icon11.gif
Full Article

From what I read, this isn't supposed to actually be part of the main series, but rather a spin off with no effect on the main storyline. It should hopefully be showcased at E3. Here's to hoping we see more.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
CAPCOM Presents: Left 4 Dead

It is kind of what it seems like. It will appeal to western gamers though. Maybe just a little too much. No matter how you look at it, RE has changed a lot since the days of the mansion puzzles in RE1 on the PS1.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I also don't quite "get" the storyline now that I'm thinking about it.

Leon S. Kennedy had very little significance as a character in the series at the point of Resident Evil 2 - he was just a rookie cop who was on his way to RPD when the sh*t hit the fan.

WHY are they sending spec ops to kill someone like that? There were so many more important targets there at the time.

QUOTE said:
No matter how you look at it, RE has changed a lot since the days of the mansion puzzles in RE1 on the PS1.

With all due respect, most of the changes are for the better. The games feel less "bland", the first game felt like manipulating emotion-less stick figures in the world of Jill Sandwiches. I'm glad they re-made the game for the Game Cube, I couldn't bare Resident Evil 1 in its original form.

Puzzles are all fun and joy, but to a certain point. When the puzzles stop making sense, you need to get rid of them. The strong point of Biohazard series is the complex story, and they should focus on that rather then firehoses and hydrants.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
I also don't quite "get" the storyline now that I'm thinking about it.

Leon S. Kennedy had very little significance as a character in the series at the point of Resident Evil 2 - he was just a rookie cop who was on his way to RPD when the sh*t hit the fan.

WHY are they sending spec ops to kill someone like that? There were so many more important targets there at the time.

That unit has been deployed to execute all of the police officers in Raccoon City. Presumably, this is a measure by Umbrella to try to make sure that their experiment continues to work (since they just never stop). In the end, the police officers are the last real threat. The odd person here or there with a gun likely doesn't have the training or means to withstand repeated aggressions.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
_Chaz_ said:

It is kind of what it seems like. It will appeal to western gamers though. Maybe just a little too much. No matter how you look at it, RE has changed a lot since the days of the mansion puzzles in RE1 on the PS1.
A common misconception among game developers is that western gamers are only interested in shooters, first-person or otherwise.
I live in the west, I consider myself a gamer... Why don't I like them?
Why is it that whenever I hear of a game developed to please gamers of my geographical location, I groan and wait for Nintendo to give me a game that's not all graphics and guns?

Though it has "Resident Evil" in the title, this is far from a Resident Evil game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
That unit has been deployed to execute all of the police officers in Raccoon City. Presumably, this is a measure by Umbrella to try to make sure that their experiment continues to work (since they just never stop). In the end, the police officers are the last real threat. The odd person here or there with a gun likely doesn't have the training or means to withstand repeated aggressions.

That's a fairly sound explaination, I suppose. They're calling Leon the "target" though, this suggest that he has a special significance on the "list". Besides, Umbrella deployed Nemesis shortly after Mr.X with the intention of eliminating S.T.A.R.S. I'm assuming that he'd eliminate the PD while at it - it's the same building.

QUOTEThough it has "Resident Evil" in the title, this is far from a Resident Evil game.

Zombies + biohazard + guns = Resident Evil.

It's a different genre then usual, but I wouldn't dismiss it yet. It actually looks like fun.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Nathan Drake said:
_Chaz_ said:

A common misconception among game developers is that western gamers are only interested in shooters, first-person or otherwise.
I live in the west, I consider myself a gamer... Why don't I like them?
Why is it that whenever I hear of a game developed to please gamers of my geographical location, I groan and wait for Nintendo to give me a game that's not all graphics and guns?

Though it has "Resident Evil" in the title, this is far from a Resident Evil game.

RE4 and RE5 are fairly far from a Resident Evil game too. The puzzles are weak, and they are more focused on getting the best gun to take down the most parasite invested people with. Western gamers have also shown that, through sales, FPS and Third Person Shooter games sell the best. You can blame Call of Duty and Halo for that one. Those series, among other shooters, have sold so well over most action games and RPG's, that they aren't considered to meet the appeal of the western market.

Apparently, all we want is fast violence and guns. Screw puzzles, story, and the like. Those only get in the way of the brainless audience the game makers are being forced to appease to anymore that absolutely refuse to even entertain the thought of playing a game from a different genre. :/

QUOTE(Foxi4 @ Jun 2 2011, 11:41 PM) QUOTE

That's a fairly sound explaination, I suppose. They're calling Leon the "target" though, this suggest that he has a special significance on the "list". Besides, Umbrella deployed Nemesis shortly after Mr.X with the intention of eliminating S.T.A.R.S. I'm assuming that he'd eliminate the PD while at it - it's the same building.

To be fair, Umbrella would know about all incoming police officers. They controlled Raccoon City. They would easily know if someone made it into the city with their camera systems, and would be able to send a squad to track the position. It is all fairly plausible at least.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nathan Drake said:
RE4 and RE5 are fairly far from a Resident Evil game too. The puzzles are weak, and they are more focused on getting the best gun to take down the most parasite invested people with. Western gamers have also shown that, through sales, FPS and Third Person Shooter games sell the best. You can blame Call of Duty and Halo for that one. Those series, among other shooters, have sold so well over most action games and RPG's, that they aren't considered to meet the appeal of the western market.

Apparently, all we want is fast violence and guns. Screw puzzles, story, and the like. Those only get in the way of the brainless audience the game makers are being forced to appease to anymore that absolutely refuse to even entertain the thought of playing a game from a different genre. :/

It's like blaming the downfall of point and click on Quake - give up. Some "ideas" and "concepts" for games don't age well. The puzzles weren't weak in RE4 and RE5. They were always weak and they were usually placed on your way to artificially prolong the gameplay. RE at its core is a survival horror, and those two elements are the only ones it needs to flourish.

Fast action doesn't mean that the game has a weak story. They're independent parts of a single creation.

Shooters sell well because they appeal to the majority of gamers, especially competitive ones. Some gamers like to browse through pages and pages of magic spells on Final Fantasy, some like to traverse immense dungeons of Diablo clones, some like to take command of a battalion of tanks and star destroyers on Starcraft II, but when they're pissed, most of them like to shoot someone's face off - that is the reality. Shooters are a good way to relax and have fun, and that's only natural - people actually don't like other people.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
Nathan Drake said:

It's like blaming the downfall of point and click on Quake - give up. Some "ideas" and "concepts" for games don't age well. The puzzles weren't weak in RE4 and RE5. They were always weak and they were usually placed on your way to artificially prolong the gameplay. RE at its core is a survival horror, and those two elements are the only ones it needs to flourish.

Fast action doesn't mean that the game has a weak story. They're independent parts of a single creation.

Most games I've played designed for the west are generally lots of action with a half-assed story. Call of Duty primarily can be blamed for the market shift though to a certain degree. Those games rack in more sales than pretty much any other game series in the west. That's a lot of sales. The west shows overall poor reception to puzzle games, RPG's, and anything that may actually require some work past just going through each level. Another series: Left 4 Dead. Fun games. Lots of fast, shoot 'em up, zombie action. The story, for what there is at least in the second game, is basically nothing except for getting from Point A to Point B.

If they wanted to create a modern day RE game like the first three games, there are more than a few people that would happily snatch those up. Game developers have just kind of given up on bringing innovation over here for the most part; why try hard on a game that will only sell about 1/10th as well as the new Call of Duty or Halo game if you're lucky? Obviously not worth the effort. Some games like the Uncharted series on the PS3, try to mix in puzzles with fast action and a strong story. It's a difficult formula these days though, as gamers are getting far too picky.

Puzzles in RE1 and RE2 could get frustrating, as some of them genuinely required some thought. Of course they weren't hard after the first time since you knew what you were doing, but it is always about that first experience that leaves the lasting impression on you regarding the game. Don't get me wrong, I liked RE4 and RE5, but they are just not the first three games in the least. Also, yes, the puzzles are REALLY weak in those two games when compared to the games of the past. Later installations don't even show effort on the puzzle areas.

ANYWAYS

Let's try to stay on topic. Sorry for the tangent.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:

Zombies + biohazard + guns = Resident Evil.

It's a different genre then usual, but I wouldn't dismiss it yet. It actually looks like fun.
No.

Go play the first 3 Resident Evil games. Then go play Resident Evil 4 and 5.
Then I'd like you to come back with the same argument.

That's like me saying "Mushroom + Italian + Mustache = Super Mario Bros." It'd be ignorant and wrong.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
injected11 said:
Game revolving around the Umbrella Spec Ops team, and no sign of Hunk. Capcom, what are you doing?

It is basically just Capcom's ideas from RE2, but with another team actually making the game.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
No.

I played every single RE game in existence. That doesn't magically change my opinion - the puzzles were boring and bland. They didn't develop the story - they were just random obstacles that didn't always make sense and forced you to run back and forth corridors you already know. Thank god they also pointed to you where to look for notes to develop the background story.

That's obviously just my opinion, but I like the turn RE took.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:
No.

I played every single RE game in existence. That doesn't magically change my opinion - the puzzles were boring and bland. They didn't develop the story - they were just random obstacles that didn't always make sense and forced you to run back and forth corridors you already know. Thank god they also pointed to you where to look for notes to develop the background story.

So, you're not a fan of Resident Evil games, just shooters in general?
Resident Evil got where it did because it combined puzzles and shooting in a successful way. Taking away the puzzles made it a full-fledged shooter.
Taking away the zombies made it full-fledged boring.

Nathan Drake

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:
No.

Resident Evil got where it did because it combined puzzles and shooting in a successful way. Taking away the puzzles made it a full-fledged shooter.

The combination of puzzle and shooter defined the series. Then they yanked it away. The later games are still fun for arcadey shoot-em ups, but that's pretty much it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
_Chaz_ said:
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:
No.

I find that INSULTING, I'm an RE nut. >>

Of course I enjoyed zombies more than ganados, but Umbrella fell after the RC incident and there's nothing the script writters could do without making something completely stupid. The series had enough prequels aswell. They needed to plow through the difficulties somehow and they have, more or less with the series integrity intact, which is more than I can say for some other popular series that completely forgot what the f*ck they are.

FFXIII

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
_Chaz_ said:
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:
No.

I find that INSULTING, I'm an RE nut. >>

Of course I enjoyed zombies more than ganados, but Umbrella fell after the RC incident and there's nothing the script writters could do without making something completely stupid. The series had enough prequels aswell. They needed to plow through the difficulties somehow and they have, more or less with the series integrity intact, which is more than I can say for some other popular series that completely forgot what the f*ck they are.

FFXIII
But that's exactly what they did.
And that still doesn't explain the MASSIVE change in gameplay. Puzzles just don't go away.

I do agree with you on the Final Fantasy comment, but I never really played them anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up