Resident Evil 7 to be announced at E3, will "go back to horror roots"

resident_evil_4-1152x720.jpg

According to the Japanese analyst Serkan Toto, Resident Evil 7 will be unveiled at E3 this year. He also stated the the series will "go back to [Resident Evil's] horror roots" and will be essentially "a clean slate". After the disappointment of Resident Evil 6, which also claimed to be returning to the series' roots, will Capcom actually be able to make a worthy successor to the older games?

:arrow:Source

rro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
What should a zombie be? There are a bunch of cultures with a bunch of takes/myths on the matter, a bunch of films, not many books like we might have for vampires. Also from the start the series seems to have been about science run wild than the animated corpses of your loved ones returning from the grave.

Well again, the original and most accepted version of zombie is the one like in first to third RE series, and those like walking dead series and the like. Yes, science runs wild that create zombies as a result. But then starting from 4 to 6, it's no longer creating a zombie, but instead, a parasitic creature that takes over the human body. I saw a clip of the RE 5 game, where they turn a human into those parasitic being by inserting the parasite seed inside their mouth. Again, that's no longer a zombie.

As for wesker, nemesis, and the likes, they are bosses. A one of the kind zombie. It's fine adding some exceptional zombie like that, since every games need bosses. But when even an ordinary zombies are like that, that's kind of weird. In RE 4, most of the zombies is capable of wielding weapons, like axe, torch fire, or even chainsaw. If they keep making it like that, it would not be impossible that in the future, all ordinary zombies are wielding swords, guns, bazooka, or other weapons. They might even create a special forces like CIA whose members are all zombies (or parasitic beings in this matter, since i don't think they can be called a zombie anymore).

Yes, the game has changed their universe from zombie game to another being, and that's what i criticized. I don't know what's the main idea when the creator make this game. Is it about survival in zombie world, or survival againts biological weapons. As for me, when i first play this game, i saw this game as a survival in zombie world, so when they start changing the enemy from zombie to another being, it just feel not quite right for me. For comparison, consider yourself love Jurassic Park film. And then, they start manipulating the dinosaur gene, and create a dinosaur that can walk like a human, can talk, and even use weapons. It would ruins the whole image of the movie, isn't it? And in my opinion, that's the same thing that happens with RE.

I don't know which version most RE player prefers, but for me, I simply hoping to see the game revert back to their original zombie game. People can say that if I can't adapt to the way RE games are right now, then i can simply go and play another zombie survival game. I understand that. In fact, that's what really happens. I only play the beginning chapter of RE 5, and don't even bothered to touch RE 6. I would still do if they still decided to keep the current game universe. So, when i heard that RE 7 would go back to how it used to be, i really hope that it would revert to how it used to be in RE 1-3. I don't mind if there's a lot of people who doesn't agree with me. After all, I'm not gonna forcing my ideals to others. I simply stating how i feel about this series.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I might query the pre 4 zombies being the accepted take on them, however I will run with it for now. I will even take Walking Dead being considered good (the pilot was at least).

The notion of a parasite taking over higher functions is pretty terrifying, more so than zombies for me but even if not then it is hardly a pleasant concept for people.

On Jurassic park then I was always more a fan of Dinotopia anyway. Equally manipulation was built into Jurassic Park from the start and they purposely said that they filled in the gaps. Improve is then the second step in replicate and improve. Granted the setup for the second island was a bit contrived but it was not the notion of modified dinosaurs that did it in for me as much as being bad films.

I would not be opposed to revisiting zombies instead of parasites and similar such things, indeed that anime film in the airport showed there was still something there and horror works well in enclosed spaces against unknown numbers of high risk enemies. It was more the calls for tank controls and fixed cameras that I saw as strange. The fixed camera made the older games something special, though that was more that it then overcame the rendering limitations to give something special to look at. As said limits are not a thing now then I saw no need to return to them for a full budget game. Tank controls don't not work, however missing them is not like the time flight simulators forgot joysticks existed and I am not seeing the benefit to revisiting them. If it is more that zombies are what does it for you then OK, personally I prefer horror as more of a concept than a specific entity but there are things that I don't care for (killer clowns just seem like normal killers to me) so I assume it can go far enough to want specific things.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well again, the original and most accepted version of zombie is the one like in first to third RE series, and those like walking dead series and the like. Yes, science runs wild that create zombies as a result. But then starting from 4 to 6, it's no longer creating a zombie, but instead, a parasitic creature that takes over the human body. I saw a clip of the RE 5 game, where they turn a human into those parasitic being by inserting the parasite seed inside their mouth. Again, that's no longer a zombie.

seriously you guys, it gets so silly how important it is to you that your random inhuman enemy is of such a very specific variant for you to be happy.
the games called biohazard for a reason. its about hazardous mutagenic sciencemagic. especially when a parasite-caused zombieish outbreak is at least somewhat more likely than the general zombie outbreak to begin with
not zombies or a super specific starting point for the story

and then you guys act like its not truly that you want the super outdated gamemechanics back, but its actually just the story setup that makes or breaks a RE game.
like an accidentally released virus that also was meant to be released without accidents by both puppetmasters in the background and the people creating the virus in the first place, that turns people into zombies, also by accident, it really wasn't meant to do that in this way, but more like, it was supposed to make bioweapons people could use in a war without killing themselves in the process, but oh well, it happened to have that sideeffect and be released somewhere, anyways, then some kind of military group or elite team gets send in to investigate, but they somehow only bring extremely limited ammo and weaponry with them and also, despite being trained elites, make them move like slugs so the even more sluggish enemies seem kind of dangerous.
and then, there's only allowed to be very specific exceptions to the general monster rule, like wesker, who can be a zombie but instead of being slow and useless, he can have superpowers like they initially wanted anyway. but don't make virus creators get better over the course of the series, that would be silly if they ended up making better things than stupid zombies.

how rose-colored can your glasses be?

if RE, dino crisis and the like hadn't been a thing and they would have released re1-3 today, with their old mechanics and modern graphics, the games would bomb and you know it. people would call out the game for its idiotic plot, terrible controls and stupid voice acting and that'd be that.

rro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If you read all my posts, then you will know that the game mechanic was never in my concern at all. I never complained about it, nor asking for the mechanic to be changed. It was the, as you said, story setup that's become my concern. I don't mind the mechanic stays the same, as long as the zombie revert back to how it was. It was the zombie world that makes me love this game to begin with, not the science or the creation of bioweapons or anything. And please, don't make fun of others preferences. Calling it silly is a bit offensive. It's a forum, where people can share their thought about the game they like.

Also, you stated that RE 1-3 has idiotic plot, right? From whose perspective does it do? Definitely not mine. Yes, the control and voice acting may be a bit obsolete, but the story? I still think it's much better than the RE 4-6. Again, each of us has our own preference, and i hope you can respect that by not making fun of other people's preferences. This is an open discussion after all.

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada
I thought REV2 did go "back to the roots", it was just low-budget since Capcom's finances were in the sh*t. It had a bunch of puzzles, cramped corridors, spooky-booky environments, it was all there, just modernized. I have a weird feeling that the RE fanbase can never be fully satisfied.
That can be said for a lot of fan bases. They want the company to somehow revive that special feeling they had when they originally watched/played it, which is impossible without making a reskin kinda game. Kinda like how star wars episode 7 was a kind of remake of ep 4

Personally, I really like res 5 and 6 as well as revelations, so I'm happy with them making more of the same

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hopefully it'll be more like the first, which I for some reason remember like SM64 with it's exploration of the castle and unlocking of new places.

Oh, and I hope they still stay away from the targeting of the first because getting killed on the second screen by a crow when you're wielding a gun is just ridiculous...

Boogieboo6

@realDonaldTrump
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought REV2 did go "back to the roots", it was just low-budget since Capcom's finances were in the sh*t. It had a bunch of puzzles, cramped corridors, spooky-booky environments, it was all there, just modernized. I have a weird feeling that the RE fanbase can never be fully satisfied.
Will Resident Evil's fanbase do what Sonic's fanbase did to Sonic? Some demanding lots of action and challenge and gunfire while others demand the classic puzzles, limited ammo, and stress of the original until we have the Sonic 06 of Resident Evil?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For that to work there would have to be the equivalent of the Sonic Adventure crowd in the resident evil fanbase. Unless Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City has since had that treatment I think we are safe.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fear? I always felt frustration as it was even better timed than left4dead at ruining my ammo stockpile. I know I could dodge and run away in most (all?) cases but it was almost always ammo conservation that drove that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work