Resident Evil 2 remake could happen

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
but those controls make the older games damn near unplayable.
Now, now, that's not true. We're just used to much more fluid controls, that's all. Millions of players back then played that game on that control scheme and they were fine--why shouldn't we be? I say we're just spoiled now with the better control options.

They remade RE1? Is that the DS version? I think it's generally a good remake, considering the graphics capability of the chosen platform... plus it had new content and mechanics.
Resident Evil DS is a straight port of the PSX one, not a remake.
Um, I'll compromise with a upgraded port or the like, seeing as it did introduce new stuff. Like... um, touch controls, which, um.... and multiplay! That's it, I guess. :D

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now, now, that's not true. We're just used to much more fluid controls, that's all. Millions of players back then played that game on that control scheme and they were fine--why shouldn't we be? I say we're just spoiled now with the better control options.

Gamers were fine with it in the nineties because there wasn't much else. Progress has been made in the control department and that progress should continue rather than use a outdated control system. Going by your logic, we may as well use a horse rather than a car to travel around because ancestor were fine with it.

Reactions: 2 people

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country

Gamers were fine with it in the nineties because there wasn't much else. Progress has been made in the control department and that progress should continue rather than use a outdated control system. Going by your logic, we may as well use a horse rather than a car to travel around because ancestor were fine with it.
Well, if they decide to give us a horse and nothing else, why yes, I'd use a horse than walk. But if I'm given a car, then car it is.

This might actually be more of a differing viewpoint than actual preference. But then again, I'm still playing Zork, which require you to memorize and type commands so...

Anyways, the point is moot, because it will definitely get updated controls. Hell, it will most likely come with customizable control schemes. I'd be damned if it didn't.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We probably won't see this but yeah I would love the controls to be A LOT better, no it was never fine back then! There were games that didn't force you to pretend you were tank and they worked well, there was no good reason for these controls to be like there were from RE1 up to RE0. I completely skipped RE2-3 back then because of the horrible controls and only finished RE1 because I spent cash on it and back then that's what we did with games! The only means of piracy was renting from Blockbuster (who hardly ever had enough copies of the popular games) and from friends so we pretty much got our moneys worth.

I've now finished those titles as I can get them for nothing and was able to use my slightly better control methods with emulation.

To be honest I'd rather see Capcom take a look at the earlier RE games to see why they had such an appeal, even though it was more action packed RE4 still had some good tense moments, RE5 was just bleh and from what I've played of RE6 it's not improved that much sadly. They need to get the horror and suspense back into the series, RE:R 3DS was a step in the right direction though.

Reactions: 1 person

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll address the actual topic first:

Oh, Capcom saying that with fan support, something could happen. Megaman Legends 3 anybody? Yeah, this isn't happening. Capcom abuses their fans like no other company.

As for the older RE games in general: yes, the controls were shit, but they were manageable. The games were fine. Not perfect by any means, and certainly in need of better controls, but perfectly playable. As far as why the newer games won't resemble the older games? The older games took thinking. At their core, they were puzzle games with survival horror elements mixed in to define the series. There isn't a large market for games that play that way anymore. As I've said before when it comes to things this forum would play: yes, we would play it, but we overall, make up a small minority of gamers with generally differing interests from the majority. We'd play another puzzle based RE game, but most people wouldn't. We may not like the new direction RE is going in, but many other people within the majority do. Capcom is working with the shifting interests of the video game market, and we just have to accept it.

P

pasc

Oh, Capcom saying that with fan support, something could happen. Megaman Legends 3 anybody? Yeah, this isn't happening. Capcom abuses their fans like no other company.
Yes, sadly true nowadays, at least we got some good mm games.... thats probably also why Keiji Inafune quit.... wish he had some rights to Rockman.

don't see all the rave of RE games.. played the first and fourth for a bit... was unimpressed...

Aren't Silent Hill and Eternal Darkness far more interesting ?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't Silent Hill and Eternal Darkness far more interesting ?

Silent Hill usually is, but the games as of late are debatable quality, although the first one got a great remake recently. Eternal Darkness is a great game too

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We probably won't see this but yeah I would love the controls to be A LOT better, no it was never fine back then! There were games that didn't force you to pretend you were tank and they worked well, there was no good reason for these controls to be like there were from RE1 up to RE0. I completely skipped RE2-3 back then because of the horrible controls and only finished RE1 because I spent cash on it and back then that's what we did with games! The only means of piracy was renting from Blockbuster (who hardly ever had enough copies of the popular games) and from friends so we pretty much got our moneys worth.

I've now finished those titles as I can get them for nothing and was able to use my slightly better control methods with emulation.

To be honest I'd rather see Capcom take a look at the earlier RE games to see why they had such an appeal, even though it was more action packed RE4 still had some good tense moments, RE5 was just bleh and from what I've played of RE6 it's not improved that much sadly. They need to get the horror and suspense back into the series, RE:R 3DS was a step in the right direction though.

Actually if my memory serves me right, I think the N64 version of RE2 had an higher resolution, and also an alternate directional control scheme. You know, the kind that instead of rotating the character when pushing left/right, would just move it to said direction.
But it still wasn't perfect by any modern standard mind you.

When they first announced the RE and RE0 port work the Wii, I was hoping so much for better controls suited for the Wii remote / nunchuk, like those find in Alien Syndrome ( you move the character with the nunchuck and point with the Wii remote where you want to shoot and the character would rotate accordingly, similar to The Expandable 2 ) , but deep inside, I knew that they were a bunch of lazy ***ers at Capcom,and it was never gonna happen.
So much for fan support !

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd rather have a RE3 remake I mean could you just see Nemesis in HD??
Actually, you can see the Nemesis in HD--in Operation: Raccoon City ;)

Too bad ORC is a shitty game :cry:

And yes, RE2make, please.
I enjoyed ORC, to be perfectly honest. It was "different", in a good way. Not really polished, but pleasant.

As for RE2make, it could end in one of two ways - with a complete catastrophy or with a glorious triumph. :P

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually if my memory serves me right, I think the N64 version of RE2 had an higher resolution

It did yet it didn't...if the expansion pak was used the game would switch resolutions between high res and low res throughout the whole game dependant upon what was needed to be done (more zombies in a room etc) was quite a clever trick I thought

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm tired of these remakes just make a new ip capcom.

DragonsDogma.jpg

Remember-Me-PS3-_.jpg

?

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol