Hacking Resetting a softmodded 3.2E wii to latest vanilla

Acedis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, I've recently reconnected my old wii, because I'm about to legally purchase Metroid: Other M when it comes out. Not sarcastic.

Problem is that I've softmodded it. It sits at version 3.2E, and my HBC says that I've got IOS36 v4.18, if that's to any help.
Right now, it plays all discs in disc channel via one of my backup loaders, because of some hack I installed that I frankly can't remember. I don't think a retail Metroid will play so well over one of those, as again, this is a Wii that's been standing untouched for over a year.

On to the point:
I want to upgrade my wii through the built in updater, to whatever version is the latest. Vanilla. Clean install with no hacks in the actual system menu spare homebrew channel - aka, a regular disc channel that doesn't flow through the Backup Launcher. If I want to access any homebrew software, I want to have to go to the homebrew channel to do so.

My questions are:
* Will my Wii achieve this state purely from upgrading the firmware through the built in updater, without using any hack uninstaller first?
* If not, what should I use?
* Is there any major risk of bricking my wii from doing what I want to do?

I've looked around a few pages, but didn't find anything that made me more certain about what to do. Thank you in advance for any help on this matter
smile.gif

Oh, and...
Before responding: "Play metroid retail on your hacks", "download a patched metroid and play on your hacks", "just update your hacks", or ANY other response like that will NOT help me or be considered on-topic. I don't care if the reasoning stated in this thread isn't to your liking or if you think there's an easier solution, because whether or not that's the case, I do want to uninstall my hacks and update regardless, and that's the only help I'll consider useful. Period.

Acedis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Riley said:
If you update to the latest 4.3 it will remove all your hacks.
I'll wait for some more confirmation on this before proceeding, but thanks. I assume it's safe?

Sub-question: if I would later want to get new hacks - and I'm not more sheltered than to understand that 4.2 is the way to go if you want to softmod today - is it easy and slim to downgrade to 4.2 again? As I said, this is for future reference, a "just in case" thing.

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Acedis said:
Riley said:
If you update to the latest 4.3 it will remove all your hacks.
I'll wait for some more confirmation on this before proceeding, but thanks. I assume it's safe?

Sub-question: if I would later want to get new hacks - and I'm not more sheltered than to understand that 4.2 is the way to go if you want to softmod today - is it easy and slim to downgrade to 4.2 again? As I said, this is for future reference, a "just in case" thing.
It's safe, it will work. It's harder to hack the sm 4.3 now, only game exploits. You could only update the homebrew channel to the newest version that the system menu update won't delete it. Your hacks will be removed - only the homebrew channel will be there - and I think you don't have a problem with this?

Acedis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Riley said:
okay if you want to re-hack again dont update to 4.3. You said you didnt want them anymore. Follow this guide to get you to 4.2.
So will that update to 4.2 remove the hacks? That's the first priority after all, possible re-hacking later is just a bonus.

dn_angel000

Phantom User
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ya 4.2 will get rid of a few (Not all) hacks! 4.2 is more of a Beta release 2 get rid of hacks it's 4.3 that's the real kicker though!! lol U would have 2 download Bannerbomb v2 4 SM 4.2!! lol

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just update the HBC to the latest version with the Hackmii Installer, and also install Bootmii. Then run an official system update. This will remove all the hacks except for IOS250 (which isn't used anyway, will just make it a lot easier to rehack) and the HBC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E