Homebrew [Request] ZDoom on 3DS

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got PRBoom on both my 3DS systems. Problem is, it has a disconcerting habit of crashing in the second stage, even on my New 3DS which has double the cores and RAM. Not that I'm a HUGE fan of that kind of game, but the Game Boy Advance version of DOOM is too damn scaled down for me to play it for more than ten minutes.

Reactions: astronautlevel

Ripper00420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got PRBoom on both my 3DS systems. Problem is, it has a disconcerting habit of crashing in the second stage, even on my New 3DS which has double the cores and RAM. Not that I'm a HUGE fan of that kind of game, but the Game Boy Advance version of DOOM is too damn scaled down for me to play it for more than ten minutes.
The latest CIA Prboom works great no crashes and runs great on my N3DS.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never had a crash on PrBoom on my Orig 3ds and i have completed doom and doom 2 several times

Reactions: Deleted User

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always crashes for me. Then again, I'm using the version of the game that came with the starter pack, and not the CIA.

No matter. I installed Doom on my PSP, and I really don't think the game is for me. I found myself getting lost about four stages in when the level designs got long and labyrinthine.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always crashes for me. Then again, I'm using the version of the game that came with the starter pack, and not the CIA.

No matter. I installed Doom on my PSP, and I really don't think the game is for me. I found myself getting lost about four stages in when the level designs got long and labyrinthine.
The version from the "starter pack"? That's odd - didn't know it was in a starter pack. Where did you get it from?

ArugulaZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that's where it came from! Either that or I downloaded it subconsciously, which would be weird as I'm not a huge DOOM fan.

teegeeack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The version from the "starter pack"? That's odd - didn't know it was in a starter pack. Where did you get it from?
smealum's compilation of homebrew apps that plailect recommends on the first step of his a9lh guide includes a few useful apps, a few obsolete hax, and a couple of random things including prboom. if you follow plailect's guide precisely, you end up with a 3dsx version of prboom in the homebrew launcher. it can be easily deleted from the sd card if you don't want it, of course, so it's no big deal.

Last edited by teegeeack,

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
smealum's compilation of homebrew apps that plailect recommends on the first step of his a9lh guide includes a few useful apps, a few obsolete hax, and a couple of random things including prboom. if you follow plailect's guide precisely, you end up with a 3dsx version of prboom in the homebrew launcher. it can be easily deleted from the sd card if you don't want it, of course, so it's no big deal.
This like this tend to have old/outdated versions bundled together. Not sure if this is the case here - but I tend to avoid them for that reason.

SSQ

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ssq123.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Same here.

ElectricJelly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many, MANY community made Doom level sets (or PWADs) need, at minimum, the extended limits that were enabled with (or were popularized by) the Boom source port in the late 90's. elhobbs port is good (sincerely not intending insult here) for the IWADs (the files that contain the source game data). But, in my opinion, we could really use a port with a dedicated WAD selection GUI (that would run before Doom proper).

If a ZDoom port is indeed plausible, the source code is here https://zdoom.org/files/zdoom/2.8/zdoom-2.8.1-src.7z and the main site (at least the downloads) is https://zdoom.org/downloads

Last edited by ElectricJelly,

J3RRY

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Doom port on the 3DS includes mini map on the bottom screen when pressing tab imo 3DS might be definitive way to play classic doom port for new players.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Biginya