Homebrew [Request] Powder Toy 3DS Homebrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
While Worldof3DSand is really fun, it falls short in light of The Powder Toy which is similar but contains much more elements, interactions and a few debug options as well.

What I'd like to know is if it's possible to port The Powder Toy to the 3DS via homebrew? Not expecting something that is full 60fps, but at least playable enough to mess around with a few elements on the screen. In this instance I'm fairly certain that TPT is open source and you can find it with a quick google search so that's half the battle done.

Last edited by Pandaxclone2,
Reactions: NuikopeaDemon

jacob1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actual TPT Developer here! Anyway, I thought of trying to port TPT to 3ds for fun, and looked around for an SDL port to use. The one I found was really really old and i'm not sure if it would even be compilable anymore.

Even if it was, TPT takes up a ton of resources, which i'm sure the 3ds doesn't have (especially the old 3ds which is what I have). Control could maybe work a bit more like my android port (designed for a touchscreen), and some of the extra buttons would be nice, but i'm guessing you wouldn't even get 60fps on an empty screen. The Wii port had about 30fps on an empty screen if I recall correctly.

It would be nice to have TPT on 3ds (after all, the Wii port got me interested in the game), but it just doesn't look like SDL or the 3ds hardware would want to cooperate :P. I still have some 3ds compiling stuff setup so maybe someday if I actually have time (I don't right now) I could work on it. But don't expect it (and definitely don't expect anything playable).

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With these kinds of games it's really impossible to expect full 60FPS running on them in O3DS. Worldof3DSand alone is lighter and it only takes having up to 9000 particles (I think?) for major slowdown to occur just on O3DS. At the very least it'd be fun to test out and who knows? It might run smooth as a .cia or on N3DS.

At any rate thank you for your response Jacob and maybe in the future. :)

jacob1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are .cia's faster? I can't install them anyway, i'm on 10.1. Also another thing to think of is the screen size, which apparently is 400x240 (not counting the doubling for the 3d). The game size would have to be decreased ... which actually would increase fps by a lot. You wouldn't be able to upload (or probably download) saves from online, but it might be playable.

So yeah, hopefully some day in a few months I can try to see if the SDL port works, but not making any promises (and I kind of don't expect it to work at all)

Reactions: Pandaxclone2

Pandaxclone2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Are .cia's faster? I can't install them anyway, i'm on 10.1. Also another thing to think of is the screen size, which apparently is 400x240 (not counting the doubling for the 3d). The game size would have to be decreased ... which actually would increase fps by a lot. You wouldn't be able to upload (or probably download) saves from online, but it might be playable.

So yeah, hopefully some day in a few months I can try to see if the SDL port works, but not making any promises (and I kind of don't expect it to work at all)

It's not quite that .cia's are faster but you can only install those using a CFW, which means you'd need to be on Kernel. Basically the homebrew launcher and ninjhax only get the sandbox to play with in a 3DS, but Kernel gets the whole playground including the sandbox. If you did something similar to CitrAGB and have a dynarec version that activates if you're using .cia or at least a boosted memory option then you'd get much more out of the 3DS than what is currently given in *hax.

agent55511

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIA is dead for anyone 9.2+. Long live 3DSX! Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 3DSX a better format VS CIA?
And lastly if what Panda requested is anywhere near possible please make it happen, I really want to have TPT as a 3DS homebrew title.
:toot:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-