[Request] password protection

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by WeedZ, Dec 10, 2015.

1. WeedZ
    OP

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    I've seen several instances lately of people with 9.2 and below getting their 3ds updated because a friend or sibling got a little to comfortable with their stuff. Anyway, I have menuhax coldbooting an rxtools boot.3dsx. Is there a way to add password protection in there somehow? In menuhax or when rxtools first boots?

@AlbertoSONIC

2. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Personally, to prevent people from updating my 3DS, I just install a bad theme, then no one can use my console :creep:

But I must agree, this is a great idea (even if it would be easily bypassed by removing the SD card (like my bad theme method)).

Psi-hate, wormdood, Lycanroc and 3 others like this.
  3. mashers

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Here's an idea. You could use the emergency launcher as your boot.3dsx, and point it at a non-existent executable. That will cause hax to crash when you boot it. When you want to boot into hax, hold down R while it boots and the emergency launcher will then boot your emergency.3dsx, which you can set as your actual launcher.

That won't stop someone from maybe getting out of hax into the system menu and updating, but it would certainly be more difficult.

4. Stecker8

Stecker8 Plug

Oct 9, 2015
    Here
    Someone can make a app that runs with menuhax 2.0 without any buttons. And in the app need password if you write it wrong 3 times console power off and if is well go to another 3dsx or homemenu

Games&Stuff, BurningDesire and WeedZ like this.
  5. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    It could be bypassed by removing the sd, but at least it would give another layer of protection. At the very least it would keep someone from accepting the update nag, or updating from a game in emunand.

@TheKawaiiDesu the corrupted theme is a good idea. That way you can block access to sysnand as well.

@mashers I haven't been following this section as much as I should have lately. I'm going to look into the emergency launcher. As long as I can still get to my emunand from a coldboot, I don't mind having an app run inbetween.

6. Ripper00420

Ripper00420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    I agree this is a great idea. Maybe it could be implemented into the splash screen of menuhax with background image behind....idea.... Thanks to all devs responsible for these great options.

7. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    But then it could just be bypassed by removing the SD card or holding the right button when booting the 3DS to get to sysnand, then all it takes is to go to system settings and update.

peteruk likes this.
  8. Xenosaiga

Xenosaiga That one guy that doesn't give a shit anymore

Oct 9, 2015
    United States
    The Shadows
    If you have Themehax you can set the device to autoboot into a false boot which can't be used unles you hold a certain button down to actually boot homebrew.

Just as @mashers said above.

9. Ripper00420

Ripper00420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Not too many people have a screwdriver handy for the N3DS, but still on old most know all the games are on it and won't remove it.

10. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Well, on O3DS, it wouldn't matter if they ended up updating emunand, so there's not much point in password-protecting it to prevent updating.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  11. PocketCoffee

PocketCoffee Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2015
    Canada
    I've heard emunand updates are applied to sysnand if you update from a gamecart or from the eshop as opposed to system settings, so that's still a concern. Especially if your nands are linked.

WeedZ likes this.
  12. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    That's, kind of, the entire point for this thing.

13. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    You say that like it was supposed to be super obvious :|

peteruk, WeedZ and wormdood like this.
  14. ric.

ric. Drivin' to meme country

Sep 17, 2015
    Peru
    Can't you just delete all internet connections on Sysnand and set up parental controls? Or would that not work for what you're trying to achieve here?

WeedZ likes this.
  15. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    Well if you don't have an o3ds I guess you wouldn't update the emunand and wouldn't really know. But it's important that you only update it via cfw system settings. A kid getting ahold of a 3ds isn't going to know better when there's a nag on the home menu.

16. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    I don't think having an O3DS necessarily means this becomes obvious. I never knew game card updates from emunand would update the sysnand until you clarified this here.
    Do CFWs have a way of spoofing fw for retail carts so that they'll just never ask you to update?

17. WeedZ
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    Using an updated emunand will keep it from wanting to update. You can also remove the update partition from roms and cia's. Do you use emunand? Cause every cfw that uses it and the gw launcher make a point of warning about how to update. It's actually common knowledge.

18. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Right, if you say so.

WeedZ and peteruk like this.