Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello Developers,

Is it very difficult to compile for the many Homebrew Apps developed on Github to .cia .3ds. .3dsx? I am curious on learning how to compile code for my nods as well as possibly help others out by posting them on the forums to download.

I am an owner of a Mac on OSx 10
I would like to learn how to compile code so I may have the latest versions of the many Homebrew Apps that exist that don't have releases but have had recent commits added to them.

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction? I have really no knowledge on how to compile so a noob guide would be nice.

Last edited by Cloud9Skywalker,

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have completed all this,
For OSX and linux users there is also a perl script which will automate most of the instructions here. We would obviously prefer to have a good cross platform installer setup that works the same way for all platforms but making that happen is proving difficult.

The first thing that you need to do is create a folder for the devkitPro toolchains. Start by opening a terminal - on OSX use the apple key + space, then type terminal. In the terminal window type the following command to create a new folder - all these commands are executed by pressing the return key. You'll need to create the initial folder with root privileges

sudo mkdir -p /opt/devkitpro

Once you've done that you can grant world access to the folder so you can extract the archives with normal privileges. You can also leave the access as it is and follow these instructions as a superuser.

sudo chmod 777 /opt/devkitpro

When we're done the layout for your devkitPro folder should end up like this, each folder links to the appropriate sourceforge package.

devkitpro
|
+-- devkitARM
+-- examples
| |
| +-- gba
| +-- gp32
| +-- nds
+-- libgba
+-- libmirko
+-- libnds

Nothing else should be placed inside these folders unless otherwise instructed by the devkitPro toolchain maintainers. On Windows several of these folders are removed and replaced by the update system.

The first package to install is the devkitARM tarball, obtained from the devkitARM link shown above. Download the appropriate tarball for your host platform - the files are named as devkitARM_<revision>-<processor>-<os>.tar.bz2.
For OSX we provide universal binaries - devkitARM_<revision>-osx.tar.bz2.

Once the file is downloaded then you need to extract it into the devkitpro folder

cd /opt/devkitpro
tar -xvjf <file you downloaded>

Obviously replace <file you downloaded> with the name of the file obtained from sourceforge. On OSX you can simply drag & drop the downloaded file into the terminal window to get the file path.

Now you need to obtain the support libraries for your target platform - we'll start with the Nintendo DS libraries.
Do support libraries exist for 3ds or n3ds or do I just continue with the Nintendo DS libraries?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can run the automated perl installer since you are using OSX.

I downloaded the automated perl installer as well but don't see any mention to it in the Getting Started Wiki on how to install this.

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded the automated perl installer as well but don't see any mention to it in the Getting Started Wiki on how to install this.
I going to give you some instructions based on my install in linux, which should be the about the same.
Make sure you have git and curl installed
Run the following commands in the terminal
Code:
curl -L http://sourceforge.net/projects/devkitpro/files/Automated%20Installer/devkitARMupdate.pl/download -o devkitARMupdate.pl
chmod +x ./devkitARMupdate.pl
Then to actually install devkitarm you run the following command
Code:
./devkitARMupdate.pl ~/devkitpro
That will install devkitpro into your home folder.

Then you need to add the following lines to your .bash-profile
Code:
export DEVKITPRO=$HOME/devkitpro
export DEVKITARM=$DEVKITPRO/devkitARM
export PATH=$PATH:$DEVKITARM/bin

Again I don't own a mac, but I know this works on linux.

Edit:
After that you will need to get the latest ctrulib. Make sure to restart your terminal to apply the changes made on .bash-profile
Code:
git clone https://github.com/smealum/ctrulib.git
cd ctrulib/libctru
make
make install

Last edited by MasterFeizz,
Reactions: Syphurith

Cloud9Skywalker

Pokémon Researcher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are 3ds libraries and you should use those.
Would you happen to know where I can download ads libraries? Also do nods libraries exist? or does it not matter?

I going to give you some instructions based on my install in linux, which should be the about the same.
Make sure you have git and curl installed
Run the following commands in the terminal
Where can I download git and curl? and how do I go about installing them?

Keep in mind I'm very new to all this. So I appreciate the help, guidance and patience!

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would you happen to know where I can download 3ds libraries? Also do n3ds libraries exist? or does it not matter?

Where can I download git and curl? and how do I go about installing them?

Keep in mind I'm very new to all this. So I appreciate the help and patience!

I will help as much as I can, but I don't own or use a mac. You are going to have to google that yourself, it's not hard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)