Request: Homebrew App to record uptime

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by TheVirus, Jul 23, 2006.

Jul 23, 2006
  1. TheVirus
    OP

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    Since so many people ask how long a DS stays on with a flashcart in, why not simulate this with a simple homebrew app that saves the data to the flashcart's memory and dumps it as plain text in the .sav, or have some converter if needed, I don't know how the save system works.

It'd be a simple app that would have few options (sound, no sound, no sleep, random taps to process data, random rendering to keep the CPU/GPU active). I think it'd be fairly simple for an existing homebrew dev to make such a tool, I can't imagine much work is needed. I'd do it myself but I have no idea how [​IMG] I'm a Windows developer, unfortunately.

Any thoughts, comments, ideas?

2. TheVirus
    OP

Uganda
    It'd need to save the data to the flash memory every second or so, if possible. Again, I'm not sure how the save system works, but it'd be simple for someone run this app overnight.

3. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    That would be an easy way to measure battery life. But unfortunately not a very
    accurate one, with no graphic intensive games running not to mention sound.
    You’ll probably end up getting 3 times the battery life with that program then you
    would running an actual game. But it would be a quick & dirty way to test it.

4. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    But if you were using it as a comparison test I think it would be very useful. So while it wouldn't be accurate compared to actual games, it would be great for doing tests relatively.

5. TheVirus
    OP

Uganda
    Exactly. The developers could do rendering or number crunching in tbe background, or nothing at all. Since it's a controlled test to measure battery life, it'd be a test that can be run across all mediums. M3/SC/G6/EZ and with/without flashme/passme.

Of course some people might get 19 hours of battery life, who knows. It's something that can be figured out along the development cycle.

6. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
  7. TheVirus
    OP

Uganda
    Doesn't seem to work for the EZ4. I run the .nds and it freezes. Rename to .bin and it freezes after the Gameboy logo. Run the .gba file and it works. I let it run for 5 minutes and turn my DS off manually, and run it again and it shows incorrect numbers.

:\

8. TheVirus
    OP

Uganda
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? That program doesn't work on the M3 either, not sure what to do.