Homebrew [Request] A app that can make even small games without coding.

jsa

Trophies
Website
muffinti.me
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So me and alot of people are creative but can't code in a language that can make even just a random 8-ball machine.

So i was thinking...

Why not have a template where you can edit sprites and make levels using a easy to use program without any coding.

Even it is just pong or breakout this could be pretty cool.

If you have no idea what im requesting im asking for a Game Creator of sorts.
You mean something like DS Game Maker?

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ok, so it could be done.
I don't know if it will be done though, you'ld essentially have to make a game, a level editor a sprite editor and stuff. Essentially quite a lot of work, and all games would probably feel about the same.

I think a more realistic idea is for someone to make a game (a platformer for instance) and then add a level editor, but if someone wants to make it I do think it would be a fun homebrew, just a lot of work.

I'm working on "Mario Engine", which is basically (gonna be) a programmable Mario Maker :P Ofc it uses Lua, because of reasons :P

Reactions: JJTapia19

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean something like DS Game Maker?
I think he meant more of like one of those programming languages that uses blocks like scratch.

Honestly, i feel like coding is a HUGE necessity in making games rather than just using a block click and drag program. It not only shows you how things work better, but it gets you used to seeing code. I really feel like way too many people nowadays love to trade-off things for convenience and user friendliness (to newbs to the program), and it annoys me alot, when we live in a world that doesn't want to get dirty or just wants everything convenient. (that's just from my experience, don't hate please)

Not to mention, programs like these are also much more limiting and don't really show you too much of how things work together. This can make implementing custom things that aren't already in the program very difficult.

Last edited by TimX24968B,
Reactions: Sono and jsa

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Honestly, i feel like coding is a HUGE necessity in making games rather than just using a block click and drag program. It not only shows you how things work better, but it gets you used to seeing code. I really feel like way too many people nowadays love to trade-off things for convenience and user friendliness (to newbs to the program), and it annoys me alot, when we live in a world that doesn't want to get dirty or just wants everything convenient. (that's just from my experience, don't hate please)

Not to mention, programs like these are also much more limiting and don't really show you too much of how things work together. This can make implementing custom things that aren't already in the program very difficult.

That's why I'm teaching 5th-grade little students to code in ACTUAL code (Lua / C# / plain C) instead of Scratch for example, because they get used to seeing code, so they could easily learn harder programming languages afterwards.

Reactions: TimX24968B

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why I'm teaching 5th-grade little students to code in ACTUAL code (Lua / C# / plain C) instead of Scratch for example, because they get used to seeing code, so they could easily learn harder programming languages afterwards.
thank god. I hated having to use those types of programs, and our CS teacher even decided to take scratch out of our video game design curriculum for that.

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he meant more of like one of those programming languages that uses blocks like scratch.

Honestly, i feel like coding is a HUGE necessity in making games rather than just using a block click and drag program. It not only shows you how things work better, but it gets you used to seeing code. I really feel like way too many people nowadays love to trade-off things for convenience, and it annoys me alot, when we live in a world that doesn't want to get dirty or just wants everything convenient. (that's just from my experience, don't hate please)

DS Game Maker does look like it claims to allow you to utilize some forms of scripting and programming, but it seems a rather simplistic tool compared to more mainstream click team/rpgmaker/gamemaker tools available for the PC.
A lot of times these more feature rich tools are used in conjunction with programming as an IDE of sorts, so they can definitely be used as an asset instead of a hindrance.

Also keep in mind limitation and simplicity often breeds creativity.

That's because 10 years ago we had some standards and today Game Maker crap like Undertale gets a GOTY award.
I should point out Myst back in 1991 was amazingly well received and still is praised, but it was made in HyperCard.
HyperCard is really nothing more than a rolodex of virtual numbered index cards that you can place images and links on so you can jump to another numbered index card.
Myst was the equivalent of a cleverly designed powerpoint.

Last edited by jaksy,

Afonso Mralha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Jacklack3

Code isn't that hard... Of course there are some applications that make coding hard, not an expert but if you start with something easy like python makes the transition to other languages easy :D

Ive started about 3 years ago learning by myself C and python, im having classes now, its reall fun!

Last edited by Afonso Mralha,
Reactions: TimX24968B

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Afonso Mralha

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but wouldn't those bounds of creativity be constrained within the limits of the program?
Sure, but those constraints often seem to create a more unique product than one completely unbound by any rules.

Without a wall to keep hitting your shoulder against you often wouldn't come crashing across the goal with as much force, you'd merely walk to it.

I mean for example, Donkey Kong Country we have prerendered 3d models put on sprites. If we had the usage of actual 3d models on the snes instead of prerendered the graphics likely would have aged much worse.
Because of the limitations we likely received this clever innovation, and possibly a better product.

Often games are directly structured around the limitations of what they are made on, so they wouldn't even be the game we love without them. See Myst and my Hyper Card example in my previous above.

Last edited by jaksy,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, but those constraints often seem to create a more unique product than one completely unbound by any rules.

Without a wall to keep hitting your shoulder against you often wouldn't come crashing across the goal with as much force, you'd merely walk to it.
yes, but wouldn't that give you other places to exhort that effort to as well? Not to mention wouldn't it depend on what your scope is, too?

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, but wouldn't that give you other places to exhort that effort to as well? Not to mention wouldn't it depend on what your scope is, too?
I mean yeah, but unfortunately humans don't usually expend excess energy unless properly motivated.
Necessity is often the largest motivator of all.

I'm not arguing limitation universally creates a better product, just that it's not inherently a bad thing.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there also quite a few limitations that the gaming community itself still holds with nostalgia.
Consider the fact that modern indie games like Shovel Knight still stylize themselves with a very limited retro feeling palette of colors, and I'd argue are the better for this self inflicted replication of a bygone limitation.

Last edited by jaksy,

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean yeah, but unfortunately humans don't usually expend excess energy unless properly motivated.
Necessity is often the largest motivator of all.

I'm not arguing limitation universally creates a better product, just that it's not inherently a bad thing.
Ah. That clarifies alot, and i guess it kinda depends on your perspective and your goals of the task at hand.

Reactions: jaksy

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I always giggle when someone says that learning C is difficult, complex or confusing when it's one of the easiest and most straight-forward languages to master. There's no layer of abstraction to deal with and it only has a handful of logical constructs - once you know what a loop (do x for y amount of times, do x while y is true), a conditional statement (do x if y happens) and a variable (any form of data) are, you're practically set - everything else is a matter of convenience. Actual functionality can be easily looked up, you don't need to know it. There isn't even a garbage collection system - all the data you use is wherever you declared it. It's scripting or interpreted languages that are confusing because they deal with abstract concepts like inheritance or classes, C is as baseline as it gets.

As for my criticism of GM's, as I said, they're an excellent gateway into the world of programming and great teaching tools, but they only go so far. Sure, it's my opinion, but you shouldn't rest on your laurels if you master a GM - you don't *really* know what your program is doing, you're just slapping together pre-made statements that mean nothing outside the obfuscated layer of abstraction.

As for limitations enhancing creativity, I call nonsense - the only limiter of your creativity should be your imagination. Instances when limitation gave birth to a more enjoyable final product are few and far between. I don't like limits, I like having more resources than I could possibly spend because I don't want to worry about how to implement something, I'd rather spend that time making more content. Optimization is not a creative use of your time, it's a necessary evil. The less problems you have to deal with when programming the better, platforms already impose real-life limitations of hardware, nobody needs additional made-up limitations in their life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think...