kylsav

OP
Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
My Xbox 360 Drive recently died (will not spin the games no more just says Open Tray).
hate2.gif

Its an Hitachi Model: GDR-3120L Firmware 0078FK

I was wondering if i can buy a BenQ VAD6038 DVD drive to replace it or does it have to be another Hitachi drive?

i was also thinking of installing the iXtreme firmware since i got the xbox open, would i have to spoof the drive first or could i just install the iXtreme firmware and not worry about it?

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You may use any other drive you want to replace your old one, but first you need to check whether you can still retrieve the "drive key" from your old hitachi drive, otherwise you can't spoof a new drive ~~;;.

Installing iXtreme only won't make your xbox recognize the drive without spoofing the drive first.

cocomonk22

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you read the key of the Hitachi? If not you'll need to take the drive key out and have a programmer get the key information out.

I think you could use a BenQ, though it's probably safer to use the same type of drive in case there is a way to check and in case it can't be spoofed. You flash the new drive with the key from the old Hitachi.

kylsav

OP
Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
Pado said:
You may use any other drive you want to replace your old one, but first you need to check whether you can still retrieve the "drive key" from your old hitachi drive, otherwise you can't spoof a new drive ~~;;.

Installing iXtreme only won't make your xbox recognize the drive without spoofing the drive first.

Ok thanks for the reply hopefully i can. the drive is detected still and works fine except it doesn't spin the disk no more.
frown.gif

kylsav

OP
Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
im unsure if i can read the key or not yet i havent attempted anything yet except looking at the label. the drive was made in July of 2006 so its a older drive.

kylsav

OP
Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
Ok i tried to copy my xbox 360s firmware to get the key with the 360 firmware toolbox.

I believe i got it into mode B, and it can be controlled in windows XP but it wont copy the firmware. I'm guessing its because the drive wont spin games so i cant read them.

is there any other way to get the firmware off the drive so i can get the key. or is the drive totally dead
frown.gif

Also the Xbox power light is blinking rapidly like its trying to open the drive, is this normal?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't dump a 78 without it being able to read a disc. So if you want the firmware off it, you're either going to have to get it reading again or have the flash removed and read in a programmer.

kylsav

OP
Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo said:
You can't dump a 78 without it being able to read a disc. So if you want the firmware off it, you're either going to have to get it reading again or have the flash removed and read in a programmer.

Thats what i was afraid of
hate2.gif

ok ill have to look into swapping out the mainboard or somthing.

thanks.
biggrin.gif

kylsav

OP
Trophies
Website
kylsav.dyndns.org
XP
Country
United States
got my replacement drive today and everything went smoothly
biggrin.gif

installed the old board into the new drive and coped the firmware off it successfully, then patched it with iXtream 1.51.

no way to test if burned media works or not yet since i got no way to backup any of my games but originals play perfect.

Thanks for your help everyone
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1