Replace Xbox 360 Drive Question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by kylsav, Mar 5, 2009.

Mar 5, 2009

Replace Xbox 360 Drive Question by kylsav at 12:49 AM (1,540 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. kylsav
    OP

Member kylsav GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My Xbox 360 Drive recently died (will not spin the games no more just says Open Tray). [​IMG]

Its an Hitachi Model: GDR-3120L Firmware 0078FK

I was wondering if i can buy a BenQ VAD6038 DVD drive to replace it or does it have to be another Hitachi drive?

i was also thinking of installing the iXtreme firmware since i got the xbox open, would i have to spoof the drive first or could i just install the iXtreme firmware and not worry about it?

2. Pado

Member Pado GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    You may use any other drive you want to replace your old one, but first you need to check whether you can still retrieve the "drive key" from your old hitachi drive, otherwise you can't spoof a new drive ~~;;.

Installing iXtreme only won't make your xbox recognize the drive without spoofing the drive first.

3. cocomonk22

Member cocomonk22 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Can you read the key of the Hitachi? If not you'll need to take the drive key out and have a programmer get the key information out.

I think you could use a BenQ, though it's probably safer to use the same type of drive in case there is a way to check and in case it can't be spoofed. You flash the new drive with the key from the old Hitachi.

4. kylsav
    OP

United States

Ok thanks for the reply hopefully i can. the drive is detected still and works fine except it doesn't spin the disk no more. [​IMG]

5. kylsav
    OP

United States
    im unsure if i can read the key or not yet i havent attempted anything yet except looking at the label. the drive was made in July of 2006 so its a older drive.

6. cocomonk22

Member cocomonk22 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you can dump your Hitachi drive firmware, the firmware should contain the key.

7. kylsav
    OP

United States
    Ok i tried to copy my xbox 360s firmware to get the key with the 360 firmware toolbox.

I believe i got it into mode B, and it can be controlled in windows XP but it wont copy the firmware. I'm guessing its because the drive wont spin games so i cant read them.

is there any other way to get the firmware off the drive so i can get the key. or is the drive totally dead [​IMG]

Also the Xbox power light is blinking rapidly like its trying to open the drive, is this normal?

8. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    You can't dump a 78 without it being able to read a disc. So if you want the firmware off it, you're either going to have to get it reading again or have the flash removed and read in a programmer.

9. kylsav
    OP

United States
    Thats what i was afraid of [​IMG]

ok ill have to look into swapping out the mainboard or somthing.

thanks. [​IMG]

10. kylsav
    OP

United States
    got my replacement drive today and everything went smoothly [​IMG]

installed the old board into the new drive and coped the firmware off it successfully, then patched it with iXtream 1.51.

no way to test if burned media works or not yet since i got no way to backup any of my games but originals play perfect.

Thanks for your help everyone [​IMG]