Repaired my own F/U on Super Fami Jr.

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Hanafuda, Feb 8, 2017.

  1. Hanafuda
    OP

    Hanafuda GBAtemp Addict

    Member
    7
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    About 4 years ago I bought a bunch of game stuff on vacation to Japan. (And did the same again in 2015) One of the items bought in 2013 was a Super Famicom Jr. After doing some online research, I attempted installing the s-video mod. Well, I fucked it up. In fact, while trying to attach a wire that was way too big for the job to leg 17 (Luma) of the S-RGB chip, I ended up pulling the leg off completely. It was a major mistake. I make no excuses. I'd done some soldering before that, but not enough. Clearly. I've had some time to practice and improve since. Mainly, I learned the importance and uses of flux, the wonder goo.

    I left the SuFami Jr alone after that, almost 4 years until a few days ago. It was still able to output component, and I also own two other regular Super Famicoms. But I recently ordered an XRGB mini Framemeister from Solaris Japan, and decided to RGB mod the Jr. I bought Voultar's THS7374 board from his site (voultar.com), which uses csync (aka raw sync, or pure sync), so strictly speaking I didn't need to return to my 2013 fuck up. But since I was going to be in its guts again, I decided to attempt a repair.

    This involved cutting a notch into the edge of the S-RGB chip where I'd broken off the leg 4 years ago, until I found some metal. The area involved is tiny and hard to reach, and the material is very, very hard plastic. It was not easy, but I have some good magnifying goggles, an x-acto knife, and God on my side lol. Once I had a tiny pad exposed, I first attached a short piece of a resistor leg. To this prosthetic chip leg, I then attached the wire leading to the components for the s-video mod.

    The finished repair:
    [​IMG]


    For an idea of scale, here's a pic with a U.S. dime. Sorry about focus, my camera just wanted to look at that screw after I re-installed the heatsink. The diameter of the dime is a little less than 18mm.


    [​IMG]

    I installed Voultar's RGB board at the same time. I won't be able to test RGB until the Framemeister comes in, but I'm not too concerned about that. Much easier than this repair was.

    And, here's a bad photo off my old Trinitron. It has some minor geometry problems, but still works so I was able to test my s-video install. I was fortunate. Yay! A little embarrassing to admit how badly I messed this thing up 4 years ago, but really, really happy I improved my skills enough to reverse it.

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited by Hanafuda, Feb 8, 2017
    GerbilSoft likes this.
Loading...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice